Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:57 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Well agree to disagree.

What helps with retentions is money and nothing else.

Experience in the industry doesn't necessarily translate? Another old school gem. Experience is experience mate but we all dig a hole the same way no matter what. Of course each major may have their own variation and competitive edge but the basics are the same Yeah my company got a PMO process called something else, and yeah my company got and EHS process called something else. Is not what is unique about the process but how easy can you retain and disseminate that knowledge. Is called knowledge management and if you have a good framework in place I can pick up any good engineer from the street, old or young, and bring them up to speed in no time. Is a proven fact in my company.

Lastly, for folks who think about staying with a company for more than 10 years, weak up mates. Is not happening anymore. Focus and be loyal to your career and just that will take you long way. We're just disposable numbers.
You've done an excellent job of reiterating why many of them don't go for 'experienced hires'. You call it 'old school' thinking, but these companies have been on top for over 100 years using these old school tactics. Guess we'll see if they're right or not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Well agree to disagree.

What helps with retentions is money and nothing else.

Employee should devote time to their OWN careers which are marketable across the industry and not just ONE company. That's old school thinking and no wonder folks left out in the street don't have any idea where to start getting a job.All they know is 25 years with one company, called brainwashing.

Experience in the industry doesn't necessarily translate? Another old school gem. Experience is experience mate but we all dig a hole the same way no matter what. Of course each major may have their own variation and competitive edge but the basics are the same Yeah my company got a PMO process called something else, and yeah my company got and EHS process called something else. Is not what is unique about the process but how easy can you retain and disseminate that knowledge. Is called knowledge management and if you have a good framework in place I can pick up any good engineer from the street, old or young, and bring them up to speed in no time. Is a proven fact in my company.

Lastly, for folks who think about staying with a company for more than 10 years, weak up mates. Is not happening anymore. Focus and be loyal to your career and just that will take you long way. We're just disposable numbers.
Dispensing some truth here...

I work for the company called Oildog.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,357 times
Hey guys, this is all nice to read but I need some good advice here.

I intend on starting my masters in Petroleum at Texas A&M this fall, but I think I might get job with halliburton or baker hughes really soon.

Would a year of field engineering experience make a difference to the College recruiters for the supermajors ? I don't want to waste my time on unless experience that won't translate.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:23 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
I saw this advertised...I am not affiliated with it so I don't have additional info...they request an "RSVP" to attend:

Houston Energy Industry Expo | Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology

Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
That's strange, most people I know in this industry are still with the same big companies for over over ten years.

It may tough job market, but I wouldn't go as far to say:

"we're disposable"
"wake up mates"
"staying with a company over 10 yrs isn't happening anymore"
"being a loyal employee won't take you a long way"

Lots of people in Houston are doing pretty good in your field.
Yes, but staying on with a major that long gets you on track for VP or senior trader. Who would want that?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Yes, but staying on with a major that long gets you on track for VP or senior trader. Who would want that? You do much better bouncing around and not building a reputation,increasing your bonus', and building up vacation time.
I would love to have been able to get into the trading side. But those folks seem to be chosen.

As for the OP, getting experience never hurts. A chem E degree should get you in somewhere on the drilling side. If you want to get Petroleum E as well go ahead. Maybe you should send a note to your congressman about drilling in the gulf...

What about North Dakota...

Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Well again, that's old school and it does take time to change. Nothing happens overnight but we now live in a commoditized and disposable world. I lost count of how many times we sent our jobs oversees and blindly let fantastic engineers go. The world is changing mate, better wake up and smell the new oil

I've been alternating between SLB and HAL every 5 years or so and they don't mind taking me back for more money and quicker promotions. You know why? Is called being marketable and competitive. No need to wait in line for the VP track, not that I ever aspire for that role. I am perfectly happy with my career, paycheck and work-life balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
That's strange, most people I know in this industry are still with the same big companies for over over ten years.

It may tough job market, but I wouldn't go as far to say:

"we're disposable"
"wake up mates"
"staying with a company over 10 yrs isn't happening anymore"
"being a loyal employee won't take you a long way"

Lots of people in Houston are doing pretty good in your field.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Talking about timing.

"Petroleum engineering majors make about $120,000 a year, compared with $29,000 annually for counseling psychology majors, researchers found. Math and computer science majors earn $98,000 in salary while early childhood education majors get paid about $36,000"

Study tells students what their major is worth - Business - Personal finance - msnbc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Hey guys, this is all nice to read but I need some good advice here.

I intend on starting my masters in Petroleum at Texas A&M this fall, but I think I might get job with halliburton or baker hughes really soon.

Would a year of field engineering experience make a difference to the College recruiters for the supermajors ? I don't want to waste my time on unless experience that won't translate.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:56 PM

Dirty work pays the bills!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I would love to have been able to get into the trading side. But those folks seem to be chosen.

As for the OP, getting experience never hurts. A chem E degree should get you in somewhere on the drilling side. If you want to get Petroleum E as well go ahead. Maybe you should send a note to your congressman about drilling in the gulf...

What about North Dakota...
This is good to hear.

Just for the record, I'm looking for a job with a rotational work schedule ( 7-7, 14-14, 28-28 ). I just assumed the oil and gas industry would be the only place to land a job of that sort. It doesn't necessarily have to be an upstream job. I'll gladly accept a rotational process engineering position on an offshore production platform if I find any. Unfortunately, Servicing companies don't have offshore production platforms.

Oh well, let's see what Baker Hughes has to say. I applied for a fieid position last night and I'm already scheduled for a phone interview on thursday. I'll take that as a good sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston