Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:21 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,156,843 times

Advertisements

I agree with Jfre. People will go to the games if there is a winning product on the field. The Aeros have have seen sells of 17,000 seats per game in the playoffs - that's a sellout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:57 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,517,883 times
If there were to be an NHL team in Houston, it'd have to come by way of relocation. No way is NHL looking to expand.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,974,778 times
Too bad we couldn't get the Penguins back when they were looking to relocate a couple of years ago. Sidney Crosby in Houston would have been cool.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,451,515 times
Something I posted on a hockey forum I frequent:

I'll tell you, there are a lot of things that make sense about Houston:

1. Arena - We have a state of the art arena that's only 7 years old and already has the capability to support a pro hockey team... so we wouldn't need to worry about venue for years.

2. Fan Base - 4th largest city and Houston has consistently been one of the fastest growing cities in the country year after year. 26% growth since 2000. Of the transplants, a large number are coming from northern states and Canada.

3. Corporate Support - Which city hosts the headquarters for the most fortune 500 companies (outside of NY)? Houston.

4. Fan Support - Houston is absolutely ACHING for a championship caliber team. Outside of the 2 Rockets titles 15 years ago, no Houston team has won a championship. A playoff caliber team like the Coyotes would garner immediate support from Houstonians as the only legit pro contender in town.

I don't know that Houston makes the most sense for the NHL in terms of strengthening it's brand, but IF the NHL were ever to seriously consider Houston, it seems like now would be the perfect time.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,999,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
2. Fan Base - 4th largest city and Houston has consistently been one of the fastest growing cities in the country year after year. 26% growth since 2000. Of the transplants, a large number are coming from northern states and Canada.
You are forgetting that 40% of Houston is hispanic and Hockey ranks low among their sports of choice.

Quote:
4. Fan Support - Houston is absolutely ACHING for a championship caliber team. Outside of the 2 Rockets titles 15 years ago, no Houston team has won a championship. A playoff caliber team like the Coyotes would garner immediate support from Houstonians as the only legit pro contender in town.
The Dynamos won two championships in the last 5 years

Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You are forgetting that 40% of Houston is hispanic and Hockey ranks low among their sports of choice.
I'm well aware of that, but the latino population is booming everywhere in this country. I would still argue that we have a very large potential fan base... especially when compared to other southern NHL cities (Miami, Tampa, Phoenix...) But again, let's not underestimate the importance of corporate sponsorship... that's where the big $'s come from. Houston is home to more fortune 500 companies than any American city (other than NYC).

Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,999,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
I'm well aware of that, but the latino population is booming everywhere in this country. I would still argue that we have a very large potential fan base... especially when compared to other southern NHL cities (Miami, Tampa, Phoenix...) But again, let's not underestimate the importance of corporate sponsorship... that's where the big $'s come from. Houston is home to more fortune 500 companies than any American city (other than NYC).
yeah, well corporate sponsors will sponsor anything that is winning.

But I think Soccer is the future for a city like Houston. The Latino population has gone from 20% to 40% in just a generation, while the white population has gone from 60% to 40%. Soccer is more Houston's speed.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM

469 posts, read 887,740 times
I can't believe Houston hasn't got an NHL team yet. DFW used to support 3 teams: Stars, Fire/Bramas, Freeze

Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,595,603 times
Quote:
Not sure if it's still the case but, at least at one point around 10 years ago, Texas had more professional hockey franchises than all of Canada, including minor leagues as well as the Stars.

Hockey plays and flows more like soccer than the other "big three" sports. Teams in places like Laredo and McAllen have (or have had) Spanish broadcasts aimed at the other side of the border. The game flows more like soccer than football, with fewer stoppages, but still has the hitting.

I'm glad the Penguins stayed in Pittsburgh. Too much good history there. I first started watching hockey when Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr etc. owned the league in the early 90s. Great team. There are plenty of other likely relocation targets, and Kansas City is about the only other city that has an NHL-ready arena completed that doesn't have a team.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
But I think Soccer is the future for a city like Houston. The Latino population has gone from 20% to 40% in just a generation, while the white population has gone from 60% to 40%. Soccer is more Houston's speed.
No doubt, the Dynamo will continue to do well here. It never made since to me why it took so long to get an MLS team here.

Let's be real, the non-hispanic white population is by far the largest demographic of the hockey fan base. Looking at the numbers, the non-hispanic white population of Harris County remained relatively stagnant over the past decade... around 1.4 million. If you expand that to include all of the Houston metro area (6.1mil)... you're probably at 2 millions plus non-hispanic whites (assuming 33%). Compare that to another US city that comes up, Kansas City... their metro area has a total population of around 2 million, of which 55-60% is non-hispanic white.

Also, seeing as how Houston is the A/C capital of the world, I would think watching a game on ice would be far more popular than sitting outside in the heat to watch a soccer game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston