Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:39 PM

79 posts, read 115,782 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I know the question of relocation has been addressed in this forum before but, I am looking for something a bit more specific in my situation. I have been contemplating moving from Chicago to Houston & two months ago, I comitted to this decision. My friend is letting me use her address to find jobs & I have a local phone number as well.

So, here is my situation: I'm currently unemployed & recieveing UI. I'm also a single mother who wants to provide a better environment for my child. I have a BA in Business & my last position was as a corporate recruiter for a firm now defunct. I also have administrative & management experience. I've been to Houston a few times & have relatives north of the city. I know every place is going through their own version of this economic crisis but, I really believe this move is best for my child & I.

Also, how soon should I contact employers? A month before my impending move? Also, what areas are best for those with children? I really don't want to live in an area with high crime. I have a vehicle & I learned how traffic is in Houston & how vast it is. I really am dead set on this move.

Any & all suggestions, information & knowledge is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 PM

800 posts, read 1,464,399 times
The Woodlands is great for kids, good schools/shopping/kid-centric entertainment, and there seem to be a lot of corporate offices out there now (so you wouldn't necessarily need to commute into Houston). Plus, it's north of Houston, so it's closer to your relatives.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Thank you.

Reading the other threads, I've seen The Woodlands come up a lot. The areas I visited was Bellaire, Upper Kirby, The Heights & the area by Reliant Park. Also, if anyone knows of sublet/temporary housing, that would be great. I've been checking out CL for housing & jobs as well.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,917,508 times
It is never too soon to start contacting prospective employers.

Even though Houston is weathering the recession better than many places in the US, that doesn't mean we don't have one.

Start looking for a job NOW. If you find one super-fast, well, isn't that a great problem to have?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks to you too. I have begun contacting employers & I'm hoping to hear something. I think Houston is faring much better than Chicago. We may have a new mayor but, same issues. No growth in jobs & the COL isn't very nice; unless you like living in crime areas.

Anyone one else who would like to chime in, id appreciate it

Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 PM

270 posts, read 478,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingdiva79 View Post
Thanks to you too. I have begun contacting employers & I'm hoping to hear something. I think Houston is faring much better than Chicago. We may have a new mayor but, same issues. No growth in jobs & the COL isn't very nice; unless you like living in crime areas.

Anyone one else who would like to chime in, id appreciate it
My employer has now moved from Houston to Chicago,go figure. But those higher up than me have the last say on that.

I second The Woodlands. Have you tried some of the energy and oil companies? Also the medical center is a pretty big employer here.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCEagles01 View Post
My employer has now moved from Houston to Chicago,go figure. But those higher up than me have the last say on that.

I second The Woodlands. Have you tried some of the energy and oil companies? Also the medical center is a pretty big employer here.
Actually, I haven't.. But I will. I know oil & energy are huge down there. As for the medical center, I'm going to look into that as well.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Also for those in favour of The Woodlands, how diverse is it? My son currently attends a diverse charter school here & I would like to keep him in a diverse environment so he is exposed to various things.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:01 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,054,392 times
woodlands is not diverse. you'll get the few token kids but they stick out. maybe that has changed in the last 5 years but it'd have to be a real big significant change. woodlands does not have the reputation for diversity. same thing for the other master planned suburbs on that side of town. for whatever reasons the big burbs on the south side are more diverse. if you search the threads you will find a lot of arguments about that.

as far as temp agencies no idea sorry

Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
woodlands is not diverse. you'll get the few token kids but they stick out. maybe that has changed in the last 5 years but it'd have to be a real big significant change. woodlands does not have the reputation for diversity. same thing for the other master planned suburbs on that side of town. for whatever reasons the big burbs on the south side are more diverse. if you search the threads you will find a lot of arguments about that.

as far as temp agencies no idea sorry
Aaah, ok. What areas are more diverse if you don't mind me asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston