Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:44 PM

13 posts, read 44,653 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just moved to Midtown (loving it) from New Hampshire and was wondering if anyone out there may know some decent places to:

1. Get an oil change/car repairs (Preferably one that doesn't charge women the 'Uterus Tax' on all services)

2. Get my not-lovin'-humidiy hair done - a Hair Salon. Friend of mine said she likes Venus Hair Salon, but I was wondering if there may be anything more Midtown based. (I have $, but I don't have $$$$... so a $400 haircut may be out - Plus, my husband would murder me and feed me to the cats)

3. Find a doc - a Physician referral service. I have a 17 year old with bipolar disorder and I'm looking for a few doctors here to continue her treatment.

4. Get my windshield fixed so my car doesn't look like it's been through a war zone. My car was shipped... the shippers broke my windshield and apparently "Glass isn't covered under the contract - it's an act of God" Um... God broke my windshield?!! grr. arg. So I'm looking for someone to replace my windshield, hopefully at my home or downtown office.

5. Where I can get my license switched over? The Houston.gov site is less than helpful, not intuitive, and determined to make me pound my head on the desk. Any insight?

A few observations;
  1. That crepe place on W. Gray is SO yummy!
  2. The bum that hangs at the CVS on W. Gray drives me batty.
  3. Texas street lights are horizontal rather than vertical and it's screwing me up bad... if I blow through a light and cut you off, I'm wicked sorry. I simply don't see them.
  4. Whats with people making left turns on red? Ohmygosh. Back in NH I woulda gotten slapped hard by the police so quick (don't get me wrong.. I've been doing it since I see everyone else doing it. When in Rome and all that..)
  5. Where the heck did the Krispy Kremes go? NH was just getting one when I left.. I was convinced there would be a bunch here. We went questing on Sunday and I was told there arent any KK's any longer. *sigh* meh.
  6. One last thing. What the heck is a Kolache (sp?)?!

Thanks Y'all (See! I'm learning!)

Jenna
365 in 77019

Last edited by squeakyarmadillo; 08-06-2007 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 02:51 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,443,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakyarmadillo View Post
Hi, I just moved to Midtown (loving it) from New Hampshire and was wondering if anyone out there may know some decent places to:

2. Get my not-lovin'-humidiy hair done - a Hair Salon. Friend of mine said she likes Venus Hair Salon, but I was wondering if there may be anything more Midtown based. (I have $, but I don't have $$$$... so a $400 haircut may be out - Plus, my husband would murder me and feed me to the cats)
I use Alison at White Salon on W Gray, next to Barnaby's. Not the cheapest place in town, but she does a terrific job and the rest of the staff is quite attentive.

Quote:
4. Get my windshield fixed so my car doesn't look like it's been through a war zone. My car was shipped... the shippers broke my windshield and apparently "Glass isn't covered under the contract - it's an act of God" Um... God broke my windshield?!! grr. arg. So I'm looking for someone to replace my windshield, hopefully at my home or downtown office.
Not sure there is much of a difference if you are having the entire windshield repaired. Your insurance company should have a list of preferred supplies who specialize in mobile replacement.

[quote=squeakyarmadillo;1221529][*]Whats with people making left turns on red? Ohmygosh. Back in NH I woulda gotten slapped hard by the police so quick (don't get me wrong.. I've been doing it since I see everyone else doing it. When in Rome and all that..) [*]One last thing. What the heck is a Kolache (sp?)?![/list]
If you think we are bad about lefts on red, try LA! AFAIK, the red light cameras don't ticket for it yet.

Oh, and kolaches are filled pastries (sausage, egg, cheese, jalepeno, etc). When done well, they are very good.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:54 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,443,012 times
Driver's licenses can be had at the Texas Department of Public Safety. License plates at the Harris County tax office.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:39 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,589,474 times
My favorite car repair place is Skeeter's on Old Huffmeister Road. Way up northwest, but worth a drive. My mother who is single and not especially car-savvy (you will find women here who know cars as well as men though) did not get the "uterus tax." The only car-repair place inside the loop I have any experience with is Thunderbolt (getting a motor rebuilt) and while expensive I got what I came there for.

I shave almost all my hair off in the summertime - don't know much about hair salons. In general, many things $$$$ in Houston have worthy $ substitutes. There are bargains to be found for the most intrepid among us here. It's a seemingly limitless city in many respects.

There are bums at most CVS stores here. Midtown was once crackhead central. Light rail and recent revitalization have given Midtown new life. You did not want to be there 15 years ago. You still have some abandoned buildings and the Greyhound station in upper Midtown (West Gray/Main) so that element is still around. Remember, most bums are going to do nothing worse than ask for change. Most of them do not want trouble. Most of them are not even from here and did not ask to be here. They were either dumped here by small-town cops who found them drifting in the sticks, or this is where they ended up when they could no longer afford to go anywhere else on the bus. A lot of them ended up right there where they were marooned.

I think they are supposed to move the Greyhound station to the new transit center that's apparently going to go up north of downtown. For now it is where it is. They will probably have a party at 2016 Main when it's gone.

Forget Krispy Kremes. Find a Shipley's. Shipley's will make you forget Krispy Kreme exists. They do not always keep long hours though. They have "kolaches" there, but they are really just glorified pigs-in-a-blanket. They're still good.

Kolache - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drivers in Midtown suck. That's why I like the light rail. They'll make a left on red if they think nobody's looking. There are just not enough cops, really.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:24 PM

35 posts, read 185,028 times
5. Where I can get my license switched over? The Houston.gov site is less than helpful, not intuitive, and determined to make me pound my head on the desk. Any insight?

I remember having to do research on this when I first moved here 2 years ago. Hopefully the procedure is still about the same.

1- Get your car insurance switched over. Should be easy, just contact the local branch of your existing insurance agency.
2- Get your car inspected. I try to save $$ whenever I can, so I went to a place that was offering $5 off through a coupon I got in the mail.
3- Get your TX registration and license plates.
4- After steps 1-3, then you can finally go get your driver's license.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:28 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,693,252 times
Quote:

1. Get an oil change/car repairs (Preferably one that doesn't charge women the 'Uterus Tax' on all services)

3. Find a doc - a Physician referral service. I have a 17 year old with bipolar disorder and I'm looking for a few doctors here to continue her treatment.

A few observations;
  1. That crepe place on W. Gray is SO yummy!
  2. The bum that hangs at the CVS on W. Gray drives me batty.
  3. Texas street lights are horizontal rather than vertical and it's screwing me up bad... if I blow through a light and cut you off, I'm wicked sorry. I simply don't see them.
  4. Whats with people making left turns on red? Ohmygosh. Back in NH I woulda gotten slapped hard by the police so quick (don't get me wrong.. I've been doing it since I see everyone else doing it. When in Rome and all that..)
  5. Where the heck did the Krispy Kremes go? NH was just getting one when I left.. I was convinced there would be a bunch here. We went questing on Sunday and I was told there arent any KK's any longer. *sigh* meh.
  6. One last thing. What the heck is a Kolache (sp?)?!

Thanks Y'all (See! I'm learning!)

Jenna
365 in 77019
Try Mikey at Midtown Auto Service & Repair Houston - (713) 523-2886 - Complete Houston Automotive Repair Since 1987. He's awesome, exceedingly friendly and honest, and right in your backyard. Reviews and a map here: midtown auto service loc: Houston, TX - Google Maps

You can make a left on red if you're on a one-way street turning onto another one-way street, unless the sign tells you otherwise.

Sorry, but I always giggle a little when people ask for physician referrals in Houston. In Houston and looking for a doctor? Pick up a pebble and throw it. Chances are you'll hit one on the head. What insurance do you have? You can try Baylor or the University of Houston for bipolar disorder treatment. I know they're doing ongoing research in bipolar and related mood disorders there. If nothing else, they should be able to direct you. Just Googled and found UT, too: University of Texas Harris County Psychiatric Center Home Page

Last edited by houstoner; 08-06-2007 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 PM

107 posts, read 569,481 times
Hair: A friend goes to the Tracy Scott Salon on West Gray near Montrose. It's located in a house near One's a Meal.

Krispy Kreme: I completely agree with jfre81 on finding a Shipley's as soon as possible. You'll forget all about KK!

Old 08-07-2007, 06:44 AM

174 posts, read 667,121 times
Hey squeaky,
What part of cowhamphire are you from? I'm from No. MA, just shy of the border. Loved the term "wicked" a truly New England term .
Moved to Florida two years ago and it has been a horrible experience and now moving to Houston. How is it going for you?
I also have a 16 yo that is bipolar let me know how the schools and dr. are there. I was told years ago that Texas has excellent services in the mental health field. I wanted Houston and my hubby wanted Florida, now it's my choice (well I told him I was going to Houston with or without him, so I guess he will tag along )
He wants to stay for his job and I want to leave for my sanity.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:44 AM

799 posts, read 3,696,792 times
I love shipleys!!! And kolaches!!! and the simple little piggies in the blankets!!

I love to eat!! Texas is great!!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:44 AM

13 posts, read 44,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Driver's licenses can be had at the Texas Department of Public Safety. License plates at the Harris County tax office.
Very very helpful. Thank you ever-so-much

Jenna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston