Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
What do you think is the better pocket pistol, the Ruger LCP .380 or S&W Bodyguard 380? I like that the S&W has the laser sight built-in, but it seems to have harder edges that might make it a bit more uncomfortable.
I dont know. I carry the LCP every day, and havent held or fired the bodyguard.

I can tell you I love the LCP. I tried and tried to carry a larger gun. MTAC holster, supertuck, no matter what I tried I realized I would never, ever be comfortable with a fuller framed gun, every day. I carry the LCP in a Desantis Nemesis holster in my front right pocket. I forget about it in minutes, unless Im wearing "trendy" tighter jeans with small pockets. I have two pairs of those altered to have deeper pockets.

I've eyed the Bodyguard, as it seems like a great idea. But before that, I bought a KelTec PF9 trying to up the ante. Next to each other, the pf9 is barely bigger than the LCP, but in your pocket, the pf9 feels HUGE. So Ive learned that a tiny perceived increase in size can feel massively different day to day. The extra bulk of the Bodyguard just wasnt worth it, considering how happy I am with the LCP.

The pocket .380 is a gut gun. You aren't hitting something with it in an actual assault scenario unless your attacker is close, and slow. I doubt in 99% of real life cases, you'd have time to aim with a laser. If you could, you should just run, instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 AM

913 posts, read 4,344,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
But before that, I bought a KelTec PF9 trying to up the ante. Next to each other, the pf9 is barely bigger than the LCP, but in your pocket, the pf9 feels HUGE.
Did you try KelTec P3-AT (.380) or smaller P32 (.320)? Both have high marks compared to other "mouse" guns. I have compared Ruger, Hahr, SW and a few more, and about 70% of the gun forum users have voted for P3-AT as a more reliable gun.

I shot about 20 rounds with Ruger ACP and it gave an FTF (Failure to Feed) once or twice. On a good note, I have tried another .380 gun (can't remember the brand) and it FTFed on me for 3-5 times. These things are just not designed for many rounds.

Quote:
I doubt in 99% of real life cases, you'd have time to aim with a laser. If you could, you should just run, instead.
That's a dilemma. The mouse gun sights are practically non-existent. The laser would be a good addition. On the other hand, in a desperate situation one will not have time and fine motorics to push laser buttons. Therefore it can be useless for self defense.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
What do you think is the better pocket pistol, the Ruger LCP .380 or S&W Bodyguard 380? I like that the S&W has the laser sight built-in, but it seems to have harder edges that might make it a bit more uncomfortable.
Do your online research. There are plenty of feedback on mouse guns at gun forums.

Based on my findings, KelTec P3-AT (.380) or smaller P32 (.320) are a better choice as far as realiability, etc. I have checked about 3-5 gun forums (about 20 opinions). Ruger went second.

Youtube has a few KelTec reviewes too. They are positive.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:23 AM

My LCP has been flawless. The one KT I have owned was the PF9 that I had tons and tons of ftf, fte with. It was worse with green box remington than any other, but I never made it through a box of anything without a failure. They sell a ton of p3at's, but I am extremely satisfied with the Ruger version. The finish is just flat out better. Take them both apart and compare for yourself.

I take gun forum advice with more than just a grain of salt. Test it out yourself. There are more gun experts online that have never owned the gun they are trashing than you would ever believe.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:33 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,523,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
I shot about 20 rounds with Ruger ACP and it gave an FTF (Failure to Feed) once or twice. On a good note, I have tried another .380 gun (can't remember the brand) and it FTFed on me for 3-5 times. These things are just not designed for many rounds.
It could just be that the guns were somewhat new and not broken in yet. Most of the semi-autos I've owned take about 500+ rounds to get past the FTF/FTE issues. Some people say if you want near 100% reliability you should really be carrying a revolver instead of a semi-auto.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 PM

58 posts, read 86,155 times
There is a gun show this weekend at the George R. Brown convention center.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:00 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,747 times
Quote:
I dont know. I carry the LCP every day, and havent held or fired the bodyguard.

I can tell you I love the LCP. I tried and tried to carry a larger gun. MTAC holster, supertuck, no matter what I tried I realized I would never, ever be comfortable with a fuller framed gun, every day. I carry the LCP in a Desantis Nemesis holster in my front right pocket. I forget about it in minutes, unless Im wearing "trendy" tighter jeans with small pockets. I have two pairs of those altered to have deeper pockets.

I've eyed the Bodyguard, as it seems like a great idea. But before that, I bought a KelTec PF9 trying to up the ante. Next to each other, the pf9 is barely bigger than the LCP, but in your pocket, the pf9 feels HUGE. So Ive learned that a tiny perceived increase in size can feel massively different day to day. The extra bulk of the Bodyguard just wasnt worth it, considering how happy I am with the LCP.

The pocket .380 is a gut gun. You aren't hitting something with it in an actual assault scenario unless your attacker is close, and slow. I doubt in 99% of real life cases, you'd have time to aim with a laser. If you could, you should just run, instead.
I too tried to carry a larger framed gun with no luck. Even a Glock 27 was uncomfortable. I tried everything and have a drawer full of unusable holsters to prove it.

Some of the hardcore CCL guys say that if you aren't carrying a full-sized 1911 and two extra mags you are doing yourself a disservice. What these ultra-purists fail to recognize is that this isn't practical for most people.

In any event, I settled on a Sig P238. It has the 1911 battery of arms and is basically a retooled Colt Mustang. I carry it in a 'wallet' holster in my front pocket and hardly notice it.

Like you said, if you pepper someone's gut with 7 rounds of .380 hydroshock, it will slow them down enough so you can bash their head in with the pistol, or run if you so choose.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
SIG P238 is a good choice.... And here is a good deal on this baby...

SIG SAUER P238 380 2-TONE NIGHT SIGHTS W/LASER! $450.00 SHIPS FREE

I have both, the P238 and the S&W Bodyguard 380, both with laser. My wife likes the S&W and I like the SIG, so everybody is happy....

Go to the gun show this weekend, get a feel of it, and then get online and buy it if the price is good.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
It could just be that the guns were somewhat new and not broken in yet. Most of the semi-autos I've owned take about 500+ rounds to get past the FTF/FTE issues. Some people say if you want near 100% reliability you should really be carrying a revolver instead of a semi-auto.
Those two i tried are actually rentals. It's something else. (not clean?) It's still something about the guns, I doubt its an ammo, I used the same ammo with other guns.

I have not tried P3AT, but will give you a feedback soon once tried. Correct, the finish is not as good as Ruger, etc. But if P3AT really shoots like they say, I don't care how it looks. This is not what I bought it for. I have Glock for these things.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM

I could care less about the looks, but when it comes to a possible life or death choice, Ill take the gun that looks like a professional machined and assembled it. Im well aware the p3at's can be 100% reliable, but its not a large price difference anyways.

To another above poster, after shipping, and ffl transfer fees, you'll come out better buying from one of the main three sellers at gunshows vs. online for most popular(what i call "commodity")guns.

Bachmann, AJC, and one other, I dont remember. they will have the three biggest selections. Ive bought from all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston