Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 01:22 PM

70 posts, read 299,471 times

Advertisements

So I am originally from Boston but spent the last several years in NYC.... I got a job for a large Oil and Gas company and am driving to Houston on Wednesday to live for six months....

What should I expect from Houston? Other than the Heat (which I am dreading)....Are people friendly in Houston....Women approachable? I am living in The Woodlands which seems like a cool neighborhood with lots to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 03:19 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,310 times
I was going to say 'hot', but I see you got that covered.
Houston is really friendly, lifestyle is easy going compared to the NE, unless you get stuck in traffic, then the road rage comes out of all of us. Welcome!!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:24 PM

thx...I am excited about a new city!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:25 PM

I still can't get over housing prices...I can get a great home in the woodlands for 350k where as it would cost 800k in the Boston area...

Old 07-23-2011, 04:28 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,834,115 times
The Woodlands is a very nice suburb, but it is very far from the city. There are nice amenities like the golf courses, the mall, Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion, etc., but as far as night life and that sort of thing, you will be far removed from that sort of thing.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:00 PM

270 posts, read 478,386 times
Welcome fellow Bostonian.

Prices are very nice as you can see.

I'd say living in The Woodlands is akin to living in Brookline,Newton or Waltham on the cheap compared to Boston,lol

Houston is a large city there is a ton to do.Prepare for a late winter this year as it won't cool down considerably a bit until October or November. I've liked the area thus far, but I'll let you be the judge.

Also be prepared to be asked to pronouce 'Cah' a zillion times.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:06 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,035 times
You are forgetting that for that 350K you will pay about 10K in real estate taxes here. The 800K home in Boston will cost you about 8K per year in taxes. But there is no state income tax so that is good in comparison.

Mexican food is good here, but there is no good seafood or roast beef joints like Mass has. Red Lobster is considered Seafood. The people here are great. Traffic sucks, but so does Boston.

Sports fans here are really easy going, as compared to Boston where they will lop your head off if you don't win. (we need more of that attitude here)

You say it is hot here, but the winters in Boston suck. I remember getting up a half hour early to shovel out and de-ice my windshield.

Let me know if you need any other opinions. I also moved here from Boston.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:55 PM

563 posts, read 910,342 times
Welcome to Houston!

I just wanted to agree that the Mexican food down here is plentiful. For fajitas I would suggest Lupita's at 3121 Hwy 6 near 59.

I don't know anyone in Houston that actually considers Red Lobster seafood. I have lived here 27 years and have only eaten there twice.

I would consider the following if you like seafood:

Laundry's, Babin's, Willie G's, Pappa's Seafood, Pappadeaux, Truluck's, Giado's...

I've never been to Boston so I don't know what the roast beef is like but I'm sure Kenny & Ziggy's New York Deli will do just fine. I think they were on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives if you want to check them out.

Last edited by MobileDave; 07-24-2011 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: