Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 PM

23,966 posts, read 15,069,127 times

Advertisements

It is my understanding that the standard wage is $10 an hour and you feed them lunch and also take them home. The painters I have hired, who are excellent, get about $250 a day. They have their tools, come at 9, don't stop until 6. I pay for the paint, they supply everything they need. Brushes, caulk, cleaner, ladders, drop cloths, insurance. Plus, I can talk to them. One person who knows what they are doing may be a bigger bargain than someone you know nothing about and may or may not know how to prep the outside of a house. That is the part that requires skill and talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,977 times
Please don't hire illegals and in the same breath complain about how they bring crime here and burden our healthcare and welfare system. Choose whichever side you want but dont do both.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
I used a painting service and they did a fabulous job - but I check references and knew who and what I was getting.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 23,177 times
Do they have to be Mexican? There are also Honduran, Guatemalan, and Salvadorian painters for you to choose from. Just a heads up.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:55 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,018 times
I'm a firm believer that one of the best ways to stamp out illegal immigration is for the penalties associated with hiring illegals to be very, very strong.

To the guy who said maybe non-illegals should lower prices: gee, when you have to pay taxes and other costs associated with running a legitimate business, it is tough to compete with black market illegal immigrants. Of course hiring illegals provides no benefit at all to the US economy or the tax base.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
How much does it usually cost to pick up some mexicans and have them repaint an old house? Does that cost include paint?

It is a small house.
What you want to do is illegal, so it's part of the "black market"

That means that you can offer them $1 and they might do it.
In the same way, they might do their job and they might not.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Maybe if you don't give them work, they'll go home
Tell that to all the businesses that give them jobs (hotels, restaurants, construction companies, etc)

Old 07-24-2011, 10:00 PM

101 posts, read 307,184 times
It must be a very small house that you don't cate much about. Are you painting the outside or the inside?

I would get quotes from a few painters (of whatever ethnicity is up to you) and try and negotiate accordingly. If painting the outside, you will want to be able to contact them again for touch-ups etc, whcih should be negotiated in your deal/contract with them. If painting the inside, it is a very bad idea - since painters who don't have much experience are likely to splatter paint on surfaces, carpets, etc and can't paint a straight line or tape properly. I've seen all of this happen (thankfully not in my house).

But if you must, please proceed. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:09 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,099,478 times
how much do you think it would cost to hire some whites to paint my house op? i'm trying to compare prices. gonna go to a few trailor complexes tomorrow.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:10 AM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,832,882 times
I agree with everyone about eliminating work for illigal aliens. Personally, I'd hire a handyman. We get a neighborhood newsletters that has local ads on them. From time to time, there are ads from neighbors that looked for extra income and would do handyman works. You can ask your neighbors if they have reference for a handyman or you can look it up on Craiglist's too. You'd be surprised how many US legal residents or Americans would do it for less than businesses because they don't have overhead costs.

I'd share my handyman that redid my kitchen but he just hates to paint. He can do it well but he hates getting involved with paint color choices with the clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston