Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 11:11 PM

34 posts, read 158,138 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a young Asian Indian Family that is planning on moving to Houston by Summer from Cali. We've got a 2 and 4 year old and wanted them to have great schools,safe environment, family oriented place to grow up. Also, my husband will be working at NASA, so we need 20m commute or so.
I was wondering from what I was reading, how well we'd fit into Friendswood? Also, what is flooding like there? and has anyone ever heard of West Ranch and what do you know about it?

Thanks so much!

The Patels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 08:42 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Your family will fit in just fine in Friendswood and certain areas are prone to flooding while others will stay dry. Schools are very good. The schools in League City and the family environment would suit your needs as well in the event you don't find a neighborhood you like in Friendswood. Most streets in the greater Houston area tend to flood during hard rains in a short amount of time but just because the street does, doesn't mean your home will. Just check out the flood history of the area that you plan to move to. The Friendswood area flooded signficantly in either '78 or '79. Again, not all areas of it though.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:22 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
What is your personal definition of ''diversity?'' Everyone's differs, and I ask simply because Friendswood is 90% white:

Source

It can be pretty country in some spots, but it's a professional bedroom community for the most part. (skip over Forest Bend) If you found one of those neighborhoods zoned to Clear Creek ISD (a good + diverse school district) you'll be just fine.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:36 PM

18 posts, read 86,004 times
Texas is a blend of many cultures- thank goodness! I think you will find Friendswood and the area ot be great. As far as flooding, try to stay with a much new neighborhood- they must adhere to the new and very strick overflo regulations set by the stae/county/city.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:47 PM

6 posts, read 14,155 times
Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by desai216 View Post
Hi,

We are a young Asian Indian Family that is planning on moving to Houston by Summer from Cali. We've got a 2 and 4 year old and wanted them to have great schools,safe environment, family oriented place to grow up. Also, my husband will be working at NASA, so we need 20m commute or so.
I was wondering from what I was reading, how well we'd fit into Friendswood? Also, what is flooding like there? and has anyone ever heard of West Ranch and what do you know about it?

Thanks so much!

The Patels
SO, where did u eventually move to? we are new to friendswood area and are looking to buy a house in the San Joaquin Lake area? Any suggestions?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:00 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,550 times
I grew up in Friendswood and frequent there to visit my family every couple weeks. Friendswood is kept up very very well, is a clean and safe environment for most families, and has tons of amenities. Also, Friendswood is continuing to expand its residential areas with new high end communities. Downtown Friendswood has a lot of civic activities and overall, I would say is perfect for families. My fiance ended up loving Friendswood because of the established feel to it, the people and very laid back atmostphere...it's very much a friendly suburban city that has accommodations for pretty much anything you may be looking for.

Also, across from the Friendswood (east of hwy 45) is the Bay Area. I love the Bay Area. You have quick access to Kemah Boardwalk, Bay Area park, and the water. The Bay Area is rich in community events, family activities and great shops. I'm building a new house in Katy, but if distance to work was not an issue, I would most definitely be building in Friendswood...you truly can't go wrong there.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skabbaraju View Post
SO, where did u eventually move to? we are new to friendswood area and are looking to buy a house in the San Joaquin Lake area? Any suggestions?
They may have moved out by now (from 2007) since NASA is about to lose a large amount of it's workforce. If the San Joaquin Lake area is in your budget, then you really can't go wrong with Friendswood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston