Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 6,005 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I just relocated to Houston from the east coast. I tell you it's way too hot here. just been here almost 2 weeks. currently living in the medical center area. being a single guy, some friends advised me 2 check out medical center. moved into an apartment and signed a 6mo lease. the space is just 2 small (900sq ft compared to the 2000sq ft I owned in the east coast). can't wait 2 move out into a house. can u please advise me on the good areas 2 live and still be able to enjoy the single scene and at the same time not break the bank on the mortgage? I would have luvd 2 live downtown but the funky smell and high cost of townhouses doesn't make that a viable option. am trying 2 get new construction, single fam home in the mid to high 100's. thanks...H-town Newby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 03:34 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,593,594 times
You're gonna have to move out of the Inner Loop if you don't wanna rent.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:45 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,841,452 times
Anything close to the single scene, (Midtown, Montrose, downtown) is going to be expensive. You may be able to get a free-standing townhome/patio home for around $200k over in the east end warehouse district or across 59/288 in some of the newer stuff going in between the freeway and Dowling street.

As far as a regular house, new, under $200k, you are looking at far flung suburban bedroom communities. Areas that cater to families, not singles.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:11 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,593,594 times
I'm married; we're in a 750 sq ft apartment and we have almost more floorspace than we know what to do with.

What do you need a big house for, besides the hassle? You are not gonna own a house in your standing - not anywhere you wouldn't be bored to death - but you might find a home that will own you. You'll have to work just to pay the bills. What sense does that make?

Save your money, find a cheap, reasonably safe and quiet place to rent, hit on rich women and sooner or later you'll be set. Then I suppose you could end up moving out to the burbs after all.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:36 PM

960 posts, read 2,752,987 times
Single with 900 square feet? Geez, you must have way too much over-sized stuff. Quit complaining, I've got 1,333 square feet with 4 kids and my hot-wife recently took over my air conditioned garage into a girly-man garage with her stuff. Now, I'm making plans to build a tree house that MINE! Well, at least a section of it is MINE! I'm taking the portable a/c with me.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:42 PM

657 posts, read 2,547,520 times
Some of the houses off Richmond aren't bad. Some of the neighborhoods west of Hillcroft are decent, but they're near certain bad areas, especially as you get close to 59. That probably drops their value and makes them more affordable, as well as convenient because they're close to the west loop. You'd probably need burglar bars though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: