Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times

Advertisements

Ahhh...thanks, Zhang Fei. I just think of those as "crosswalks".

Yes - I definitely stop to let pedestrians go in zebra xings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 06:21 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I always do and is very customary in Europe and Asia to stop. Regardless of who got the right to go, human life is more precious than you being late at some appointment.
Have you ever been to Asia???

I almost got run over by a freaking motorcycle on the sidewalk in Seoul, South Korea.
That's the last day I felt safe walking on a sidewalk.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I always do and is very customary in Europe and Asia to stop. Regardless of who got the right to go, human life is more precious than you being late at some appointment.
I don't see the same behaviour in Houston. They will pretty much run you over if you're not careful. Is very SAD
I don't know about Asia, but in Europe is a law.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Do we even have any so-called zebra crossings (as depicted in the earlier picture) in Houston? All I know of are the ones on the corner crosswalks.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
I've lived all over Asia mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Have you ever been to Asia???

I almost got run over by a freaking motorcycle on the sidewalk in Seoul, South Korea.
That's the last day I felt safe walking on a sidewalk.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Do we even have any so-called zebra crossings (as depicted in the earlier picture) in Houston? All I know of are the ones on the corner crosswalks.
It looks like this:

Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,662 times
I used to not pay attention to pedestrian crossings until I moved for a year to Seattle. OMG! such a walkable area and learned more respect even stopping behind the crossing line at red lights or stop signs. One time I stopped my car at a red light, but over the pedestrian crossing and some homeless guy was making all sorts of manerisms of what a lack of respect I had. I said never again! Even here we have to take good care of pedestrians, keep crossings and ramps clean and available. Same goes to those people riding bicycles.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM

88 posts, read 206,084 times
I'm always afraid that if I stop for a pedestrian in the crosswalk, I'll get rear-ended by another driver (one who is most likely texting and/or talking on their cell).

Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 PM

^^^ so you just run over the pedestrian?? You can mess up the front of your car...

Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times
I'm guilty of being anti-pedestrian.

My area has become very pedestrian in the last few years. It doesn't always come naturally for me to look out for people darting out in front of my car. Even at a crosswalk.

Honestly, I've hit the gas without thinking & had to quickly hit the breaks plenty of times for walkers recently.

Historically Houston isn't a walkable city, so IMO pedestrians need to be aware of this & always be on guard. They shouldn't assume they're in NY where traffic stops for people.

Along a similar line........It bewilders me how people in parking lots walk across the lot without looking out for cars. They just walk out there like a special angel is protecting their absent - minded souls.

Cultural backgrounds may be at play here too. Many newer immigrants seem to feel they're just as safe as their native country when it comes to car vs. human.

Sometimes the striped crossing walks are under heavy oak tree canopy where it's dark and the striped paint is faded.....it's hard to see & people will dart out there right in front of cars going 30-40 mph.

My solution is to have rail road bars come down to block cars from pedestrian crossing points. Bars up cars go. Bars down people go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: