Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:12 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times

Advertisements

Since Houston often does have cases where nice areas are next door to not so lovely ones, I think what should be the deciding factor is "Do the problems spill over?" or "Do they affect the businesses that I would go to?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 09:47 PM

21 posts, read 34,484 times
Where are the PICTURES ?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:54 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,730 times
Ice-man, I have some more pictures for you of the "Real Eastwood."

Enjoy the link. Click on the book.

Eastwood Today

Fantastic black and white photography book that also gives a bit of history of Eastwood.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:05 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,446 times
It's not about where the legal boundary is for Eastwood, it's about the general area. Criminals don't care about where the line is drawn, it doesn't magically stop them.

Good informative post, I trust the OP's opinion.

But where are the pics??!!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:46 AM

121 posts, read 240,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Ice-man, I have some more pictures for you of the "Real Eastwood."

Enjoy the link. Click on the book.

Eastwood Today

Fantastic black and white photography book that also gives a bit of history of Eastwood.
LOL your pics of 1 street and Downtown...how is that pics of Eastwood..

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood;21251380[B
]It's not about where the legal boundary is for Eastwood, it's about the general area. Criminals don't care about where the line is drawn, it doesn't magically stop them. [/b]

But where are the pics??!!
exactly Azinwood! You get me...

and im working on the pics..ill have some up asap..

Old 10-12-2011, 11:40 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Still no pics. I think TxHustla is all hat, no cattle.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Still no pics. I think TxHustla is all hat, no cattle.
Indeed!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azinwood View Post
It's not about where the legal boundary is for Eastwood, it's about the general area. Criminals don't care about where the line is drawn, it doesn't magically stop them.

Seriously? I guess you really have no idea how urban neighborhoods work...

It does matter and I'll tell you why. People who care about maintaining and bringing back the neighborhood live in Eastwood proper. Because they have moved in with the intent to improve the neighborhood, they are vigilant about reporting crime, suspicious behavior and making the neighborhood safe for them and their families. Criminals don't want to come into a neighborhood where there are people who are so vigilant about reporting crime.

This was quoted in the Houston Chronicle September 30, 2003.

"Eastwood is actually kind of quiet," says Houston Police Captain Dwayne Ready, in charge of the South Central Patrol Division. "Some of my more active community citizens come from Eastwood. They attend my P.I.P. (Positive Interaction Program) meetings regularly. They have a graffiti abatement van. We go to their meetings, they go to our meetings. Anytime things surface, they send me an e-mail or call."

I imagine things have only gotten better in 8 years time.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:18 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHustla View Post
I knew it! LOL no wonder ur so gung ho on saying this area is all jazzy and great! always a financial reason behind lies and manipulation. What real estate agent is going to practically pass away a sale and give their 6% back...LOL

I find it very simplistic and irrational for you to sit there and ADMIT the surrounding areas and streets are hood and bad but that doesnt involve your "Eastwood". LOL So lets say Johnny over on Sherman and sidney runs a 3 building ***** house along with drug trafficking. You'll simply say, you can see it from ur front porch and hear/see the traffic but dont worry its down the street, it has nothing to do with us. LOL ok...good luck with that.

There's a reason the Constable office (precinct 6) has the zebra and ocean units..yes in your Eastwood area as well.
I would have responded yesterday, but I got busy.

I'm not sure how I'm profiting from talking about my observations of Eastwood. It's not like people will magically flock to me to buy and sell in Eastwood because I have good observations. It's silly to even mention that. This is a forum about all things Houston. There are many people on here who have professions and point things out when things are relevant to the conversation. It has nothing to do with a hidden agenda.

I can easily tell you didn't know the difference between Eastwood proper and the rest of the surrounding. How do know? Because you kept mentioning Eastwood only at first and then we started pointing out that the area you were talking about was not Eastwood. So now you say "Eastwood/2nd ward." Real convenient. Instead of backpeddling, you now throw in "2nd ward" into the mix. But throwing it all together is somewhat irrelevant when you look at it through perspective. It's the CITY. Most of the inner loop is just like Eastwood in that sense. I've given plenty of examples and you've responded to none of them. Eastwood is no different than some parts of the Greater Heights, Lindale Park, Washington corridor, Oak Forest/Garden Oaks, Westbury, etc. People can do their own research and visit the area. They can visit Eastwood and Idylwood in 77023 and they will realize that those neighborhoods are very different than what is within a 2 mile radius.

I speak from experience and knowledge of neighborhoods. Just like I like to talk nice about certain areas, I also stay away from others. If I only cared about my precious 3%, then I would talk good about all areas! Why scare people away?? I specifically mentioned that the other side of Harrisburg was not good. You likely were raised on that side and didn't realize the different housing stock in Eastwood. It really didn't start to change until the last decade. So I don't blame you for missing that.

Everyone talks from their own personal experience. I know people who swear to never visit the Galleria area because their car got broken into, or moved out of midtown because their home was broken into. That doesn't mean the area should be bashed, like you continue to bash Eastwood

To each their own. Inner-loop living isn't for everyone, just like the suburbs aren't for everyone. Townhomes are better than single family homes for some people, on and on. You have to compromise between different things unless you have $800k+ to spend, then you can be picky on just about every angle.

*My response isn't just for you. It's meant to clarify things a bit. City-Data gets visited by many people who aren't familiar with Houston. They come here to get honest feedback because they aren't familiar with certain things. Your posts really skew the reality of Eastwood.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:48 PM

504 posts, read 1,150,446 times
You imagine or do you actually have lived there? Big difference. TxHustla has apparently lived his life there and provided his reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston