Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:15 AM

385 posts, read 968,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Apparently empty lots with tall grass is more beautiful only if it's inside the loop.
No. but skyscrapers and homes built in the 20's,30's,40's,and 50's are cooler than nothing but strip malls and homes built since the 80's that have no character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 02:16 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Apparently empty lots with tall grass is more beautiful only if it's inside the loop.
Which areas are still grass lots?

I know one area was converted into a city park.

I think he was talking about the skyscrapers and the surrounding single story neighborhoods

Old 10-31-2011, 08:19 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
I think he was talking about the skyscrapers and the surrounding single story neighborhoods
Yeah, i was just being facetious. The skyscraper backdrop is definitely unmatched. However there are still strip malls, generic apartments, generic townhomes and other monstrosities a la teardown+rebuild.

And honestly, if you want to spend a good chunk of change you can get architectural "character" no matter what age the building is.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,615 times
'character' is singular. the 'eclectic character' is just plain 'ghetto-ey'

Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 AM

150 posts, read 306,109 times
I live in Pearland on the westside. It is ok. I tried to find some resemblance to a community that looked like the one I originally lived in before I came to Texas. I moved from the tri-state area back east and there is no place in the country that resembles this. Pearland doesn't look nothing like my old community, but it is closer to a big city. It is interesting that you hear Pearland and Sugarland, or some posh area of Houston like Bellaire or Memorial mentioned ALOT in this forum. The reason being is that there aren't many places to move to in the Houston area. These areas are getting an influx of people. For those of us probably 99% of the people on this board can't afford to spend half a million dollars to buy a home in Bellaire, so we comb these forums to find a place to move that is affordable. One thing I can say about Texas that is different is no matter where you move the public school education is basically the same and there is no guarantee that you will receive a quality education at a private school. Education is a gamble here. Second, poverty is pretty bad here. No matter where you move, you are surrounded by it. Back east poor folks are concentrated in certain areas and if you move in a nice area you are guaranteed a good public school system. It is shocking how much money people are spending on houses and on taxes in Texas, but receiving less than average services. The government is really taking advantage of people.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionne7 View Post
I live in Pearland on the westside. It is ok. I tried to find some resemblance to a community that looked like the one I originally lived in before I came to Texas. I moved from the tri-state area back east and there is no place in the country that resembles this. Pearland doesn't look nothing like my old community, but it is closer to a big city. It is interesting that you hear Pearland and Sugarland, or some posh area of Houston like Bellaire or Memorial mentioned ALOT in this forum. The reason being is that there aren't many places to move to in the Houston area. These areas are getting an influx of people. For those of us probably 99% of the people on this board can't afford to spend half a million dollars to buy a home in Bellaire, so we comb these forums to find a place to move that is affordable. One thing I can say about Texas that is different is no matter where you move the public school education is basically the same and there is no guarantee that you will receive a quality education at a private school. Education is a gamble here. Second, poverty is pretty bad here. No matter where you move, you are surrounded by it. Back east poor folks are concentrated in certain areas and if you move in a nice area you are guaranteed a good public school system. It is shocking how much money people are spending on houses and on taxes in Texas, but receiving less than average services. The government is really taking advantage of people.
Are you kidding me?

At over 6 million strong, Houston is the 6th largest metropolitan area in the United States after Dallas-Fort Worth.

The Woodlands (award winning master planned community with tons of shopping, dining, & a river walk)

Kingwood (nice little suburb on the Northeast side nestled in the Piney Woods & close to Lake Houston)

Tomball (country living close to the big city)

Cypress (growing like crazy)

Conroe (Lake Conroe)

Katy (The it suburb to be on the West side)

Sealy (the next Katy)

Klein (excellent school system)

Clear Lake (largest private yacht fleet in the nation)

Sugar Land (most diverse suburb in Texas)

Pearland (up & coming Sugar Land)

Are all fine communities

Old 11-01-2011, 01:24 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Hey, Tim. Stay the hell out of Pearland. Quick solution. Stay over in Aldine where you have all that beauty.

Ronnie

Old 11-01-2011, 01:56 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionne7 View Post
You live in the newer part of Pearland but are still surrounded by poverty and bad schools? Not sure I follow. Please read Matt's post.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Hey, Tim. Stay the hell out of Pearland. Quick solution. Stay over in Aldine where you have all that beauty.

Ronnie
I cant help it man. Our economy here (west side) is so vibrant our box stores need to restock frequently. Luckily we checked the computer at Lowes and see that people there are not into their aftermarket stuff. you guys got 6 of them.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 PM

150 posts, read 306,109 times
I am not into hype coming from developers trying to sell houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston