Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 03:03 PM

9 posts, read 34,744 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the southern area. Here's my questions

What is the crime rate like??

What is the employment like?

How much does a typical house rent for? And where can I find listings?

What is the winter/summer weather like?

My mother was diagnosed as being terminal and this cold weather in Indiana is only making her worse. My step-father has MS and is so stiff from the weather. Of course these 2 are on SS however me and my husband and my brothers all need employment and we all have families so we are looking for a very family oriented setting and a decent cost of living.

Some examples of here houses range from 500.00 + utilities for a 3 bedroom

Gas is like 3.55 a gal

Most places around here just aren't hiring full time so typical pay is 400 a week.

Our weather just went from the 70's to the 30/40's its even snowed already and was just 70 earlier this week!! If you can help me with advice my email is JJDHB406@AOL.COM please we need to move ASAP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 04:32 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
I responded (I think to you) about a similar question you posted on a different thread but despite Houston weathering the economic downturn better than many cities, it is still not advisable to move here w/o already having a job lined up. Lots of people here w/o jobs particularly newcomers. $500 a month for a house here would get you in a very bad neighborhood. You are looking at about $1100-$1500 for a house. Decent apts. (1 BR $800-$1000). Crime in Houston has gotten high but you will find that in cities with such large populations. I would suggest you visit the city and try and get employment before considering a move.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 PM

What is the typical paying jobs down there? Like I said here my husband is a manager and only brings in 500.00 a week. And it just doesn't cut it anymore. Do you know what people make on SSI and SS down there or is it the same everywhere? And in the local newspapers do they have classifieds and what are the names? And no this is my first thread that anyone has responded to.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:40 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Texas7 makes some good points.

It's not worth going through the costly expense of a move without a job waiting for you. If you are in a high demand field(Technology, Engineering, Medicine, etc), you can interview over the phone and have a job waiting.

Otherwise, it's a different city and the same problems.

While my friends that work in databases and software development are finding a higher demand for their skills than last year. They are receiving so many calls that they needed an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of the contacts and companies.

The jobs that pay $400/week are harder to find. At that pay level, you would be competing with a large immigrant population that is willing to take less.

While you may be able to find a 3-bedroom home for $500/month in your area, $500 would put you in the slums in Houston. Houston's cost of living low is relative to other big cities, but it is higher than a small town with high unemployment.

As for applying for jobs, I would stick to posting the resume on the typical job search websites(careerbuilder and monster) and applying online. You can also try craigslist. I never used the local papers like the Houston Chronicle(largest local paper), Houston Press, or the Greensheet Classifieds for a job search. It just seemed easier to do it online.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:47 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
What type of manager - professional white collar, retail, other? Retail management pays about $20k-$25k per year which is probably the same as what he is making now. Most retail stores are promoting from within. Had a family member who recently left retail management after realizing he was actually making less than minimum wage with the required hours he had to put in (70+ hours per week w/no overtime because he was "management")

Old 11-11-2011, 05:51 PM

We plan on job searching using monster etc. i was wondering about the houses and looking into them. We plan to reside with my parents briefly. We just need warmer weather quickly my parents are in bad shape and this cold weather is really doing a number on them. I do not want to live in the slums ghetto etc. I know in our capitol its around the same price range to find a place and with our city we are all automotive based and they of course are going down hill rather quickly. Our city has faced a tremendous cut with Delphi and Daimler Chrysler not doing well. It seems as if jobs are filled and houses are empty. We want our children to have a better future and Kokomo IN just doesn't seem to be fully coming back around anytime soon.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
What kind of jobs are you and your brothers looking for? Houston is definitely a good place to build a better future for your children, if you find work here. I am always amazed at the growth of Houston over the last few decades and the jobs created in spite of economic turmoil. I still think it would be very challenging to come here with no job and no network.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:01 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Go onto www.har.com to see rentals. The other posters are telling you the correct info - under $1000 is going to be horrible. There is opportunity in Houston, but you need to have a desired skill set. You said your husband was in management (what type, exactly?) - but what does everyone else do?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:35 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
I don't think you can get a place (3 bedroom house) anywhere in Houston for $500. In a transitional neighborhood you can find a place for $800. I would live there, but most other people on here would not.

If you don't have any skills, be prepared to be poor in Houston, and it may take you a few onths to get a job.

Winter here is awesome. It doesn't get too cold for me. I have not had to cut heat on at my house or in my car yet. Summer on the other hand is almost unbearable toward the end of summer.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:50 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Sorry to hear about your parents. Hope they feel better soon.

$500 for a house? Not in Houston....I don't even think the worst neighborhood has houses for $500. 1 bedroom Apartments, yes. 3 bedroom house, no. Even 3 bedroom apartments are not $500.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston