Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:29 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times

Advertisements

What is the difference between Tex-Mex and "Authentic Mexican food? I was having a discussion with somebody about this. I always hear people say that in Texas we don't eat "real" mexican food, that its tex-mex. But what does real mexican food consist of? Even when I go the the Taquerias(which is supposed to be the real thing) is still looks like Tex-Mex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 02:31 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
I'm not sure of the difference,
but if you go to San Antonio, go to "Guajillos" by North Star Mall and you will see that there's a big difference.

From what I understand.... they don't have "cheese enchiladas"

Old 12-07-2011, 02:36 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm not sure of the difference,
but if you go to San Antonio, go to "Guajillos" by North Star Mall and you will see that there's a big difference.

From what I understand.... they don't have "cheese enchiladas"
That's it, no cheese?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:43 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,176,658 times
Stolen from the internet, of course, but I saved this because it says it better than I can:

"Outside of Mexico, the “authentic” cuisine is almost geographically-uniformly screwed up. So I’m going to share my opinion: I think the main reason authentic Mexican food gets so “lost in translation” is because of a marketing issue and the tendency for restaurant owners to focus on cultural stereotypes when they feel their guests don’t know a lot about that culture and are on the outside of it, looking in.

Travel to the US, Canada, the UK, or really anywhere abroad, and walk into a Mexican restaurant. What do you see?–exactly: bright colors, yellow taco shells used for their taco recipes, lots of fatty cheeses in their quesadillas, pictures of cacti, and so on. It’s those emblematic (even if barely true) little stereotypical things that people latch onto as “Mexico”, that get repeated again and again because they’re so universally recognized as Mexican.

Now go to Mexico and walk into a restaurant. What do you see?–exactly: none of that crap. The colors aren’t bright or vibrant; they’re normal and down-to-earth in the kitchens and little eateries that line the roads. The food isn’t over the top with spices and cheeses and all flour and 30cm baking soda tortillas; they’re sensible, reasonably portioned dishes that use ingredients for taste, not just for presentation. I could go on and on.

Tex-Mex cuisine, along with “EuroMex”, CanMex, ThaiMex–Mexican cuisine as it exists in any part of the planet outside of Mexico–tends to be largely hyperbolic. Sometimes you’ll come across a restaurant abroad that has gone the extra mile to import the proper ingredients that are used in Mexico, that uses them properly, and that is probably run by a Mexican who takes great pride in serving true authentic Mexican recipes. But it’s rare. Most Mexican food restaurants abroad opt for the cheaper alternative of using local ingredients and utilizing the marketing strategy of promoting the common idea of Mexico, rather than real Mexican food."

Lastly, you need to remember that Mexico is HUGE!!! Each region has differences in cuisine based upon local culture, food supply, spices available etc. I read somehwhere, for example, that there are 40 -50 renditions of mole around Mexico. All of them totally different. Cuisine is as vastly different from state to state in Mexico as it is from country to country in Europe.

Now, all that said, the best what I call "authentic" Mexican cuisine I've had around Houston is a Gallileo's in Bellville. Steer clear of the taco salad, fajitas and such and you can get really good Mexican food. Friday is fresh fish day and they'll fix it any way you want with real borracho beans, Mexican rice, REAL salsa verde made on the spot etc.

Ronnie

Old 12-07-2011, 03:15 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,439 times
Houston has the best
Mexican food there is !

Check out tacos del Julio. They have a couple out there

Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Houston has the best
Mexican food there is !

Check out tacos del Julio. They have a couple out there
Get la gringa. La pirata and la campechana are good too.

Now for me, the one thing Houston excels at is Mexican food. Especially, greasy Mexican street food. Oh my god. Taco strucks have changed my culinary life. There is very very, very "authentic" Mexican food in Houston. However, this will be largely Mexican food from the northeast corner of Mexico. Tex-Mex? You will see a lot of white people there. If it has yellow cheese, it ain't Mexican food.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:40 PM

659 posts, read 1,377,078 times
Hugo's

Old 12-07-2011, 08:30 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Hugo's
Haha. Good one. You are right. That is exactly what is wrong with these places.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:31 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,031,091 times
Sylvia's Enchiladas on Westheimer is pretty authentic, I think.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 PM

951 posts, read 1,453,273 times
Went to mexico city for vacation stayed 4 days

Mexican food does not have beef

It has pork cuz it is cheaper

Everything else is same

but overall Tex Mex is 100 times better than Mexican food at least better than the mexico city food

Also, everything is more expensive in Mexico. Maybe that is why many people eat from street vendors in mexico cuz even I was shocked with the meat prices down there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston