Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:49 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
is mulch your ground cover literally?

I don't even think you can buy a 5 lb. bag of mulch. I think the 5 lb. bag is potting soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 07:52 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
This doesn't have to devolve into ranting or anything political. It's a national and social issue that goes way beyond politics.

Hiring illegal workers is both illegal and counterproductive for this country. Just like buying Chinese products (and sending money out of the US), many times illegals also send money out of the US.

Why not help our country and hire a legal American citizen? It helps with the out-of-control problem of unemployment, and also keeps the money here, to recirculate in and strengthen OUR economy (not others). You can be part of the problem or part of the solution.
Wow, we agree on something for a change. But I agree 100%.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,523,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
is mulch your ground cover literally?
My beds probably cover 1/2 of my front and side yard (on a corner lot). It's a LOT of mulched area. A dump truck dropped it off in the street.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:12 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
This doesn't have to devolve into ranting or anything political. It's a national and social issue that goes way beyond politics.

Hiring illegal workers is both illegal and counterproductive for this country. Just like buying Chinese products (and sending money out of the US), many times illegals also send money out of the US.

Why not help our country and hire a legal American citizen? It helps with the out-of-control problem of unemployment, and also keeps the money here, to recirculate in and strengthen OUR economy (not others). You can be part of the problem or part of the solution.
It's ok for corporations to complain about "expensive labor costs"
but it's not ok for the average person to do the same?

As long as corporations hire "illegals" to save money, I'm going to do the same to save money.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:25 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Default Houston's famous simple-minded spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It's ok for corporations to complain about "expensive labor costs"
but it's not ok for the average person to do the same?

As long as corporations hire "illegals" to save money, I'm going to do the same to save money.
And if they all jump off a bride, you follow.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
And if they all jump off a bride, you follow.
In this scenerio....he'd probably want to be first.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
In this scenerio....he'd probably want to be first.
Have to get on one, before I can jump off of one

Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times
Some of you might be on to something. Real/legal Americans (including many Texans) do seem to awfully lazy. I see a lot of overweight people, couch potato-ness, and general laziness these days.

Damn, I've always cut the yard at home, and done the raking, tree-trimming, etc. There's something very rewarding about productive manual labor, especially around the house. Fixing things yourself, getting exercise, being outside, etc. Many folks have no excuse for not getting back to a more DIY (do-it-yourself) lifestyle, like traditional America.

That's still no excuse to hire illegals. It's a counterproductive and self-fulfilling myth that legal/Americans won't work at a reasonable pay. You have to put time in to find them (like always), but again, that's good for you. Get it - it requires more effort from you. There's a pattern there folks. Taking the easy way out is often not the healthiest/smartest approach, either for you, or for society.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 12-01-2011 at 10:39 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
Absolutely in agreement. But it starts from top down, from corporate America which owns the government and down from there. We’re just the little people and it won’t really make a difference no matter what we do or don’t. Maybe sleep good at night but that’s pretty much it.

Quote:
Some of you might be on to something. Real/legal Americans (including many Texans) do seem to awfully lazy. I see a lot of overweight people, couch potato-ness, and general laziness these days.

Damn, I've always cut the yard at home, and done the raking, tree-trimming, etc. There's something very rewarding about productive manual labor, especially around the house. Fixing things yourself, getting exercise, being outside, etc. Many folks have no excuse for not getting back to a more DIY (do-it-yourself) lifestyle, like traditional America.

That's still no excuse to hire illegals. It's a counterproductive and self-fulfilling myth that legal/Americans won't work at a reasonable pay. You have to put time in to find them (like always), but again, that's good for you. Get it - it requires more effort from you. There's a pattern there folks. Taking the easy way out is often not the healthiest/smartest approach, either for you, or for society.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
so called fat, lazy americans are the ones that are wasting tax payer health costs as well as people against end of life care, not undocumented people who studies show are the last people to enter an ER. that and they don't qualify for government/state health insurance

there are arguments one can make about our slave labor/undocumented workers but the old sucking on the teet of America one is played out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston