Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 08:38 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,902 times

Advertisements

I have lived in NW Houston my whole life, and love it. I live in Longwood now, and couldnt be happier with the neighborhood, general area, neighbors, etc. But my wife and I have decided to move down south for many reasons, to be closer to my inlaws, and many friends we have down there.

Our friends down there are younger, and live in neighborhoods we probably wouldnt consider. Our in laws live off Dixie farm west of 518 in a nice little area where everyone has 5 acres +/- and nicer older(70-80's) homes, plus a few tear downs that have been replaced by amazing 500k+ houses that we cant touch.

Id like to be somewhat close to a quick route to the beltway, as Ill keep my job working for my family at 290/8 until I find something down south. Also, my family is up here, so Id like a convenient route anyways. Ideally, Id love to have a nice 2500 sq ft four bedroom house on a lot big enough for a separate metal building type workshop(I work on cars as a hobby). the problem is most of the houses I find like that are old enough that you see big money being needed in major updates to make the house presentable/modern enough to not feel "old". To make matters worse, we are probably working with a 250k or so budget.

Any ideas, recommendations?

To give you a starting point, if this house was a bit newer in design, Id be all over it. I just dont like the floorplan, or brady bunch feel of it. Is this a "good"area?
2227 Stevenson, Pearland, TX 77581 - HAR.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Search in Southfield Village, Silverlake and the surrounding area. I lived in Southfield Village in a rental home and really liked it. Nice, clean neighborhood with lots of diversity. It's on the West side of 288 so a quick jump to the Beltway and easy access to the 518/Dixie Farm area.

Ronnie

Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Huge lot -- appears to have a ton of potential to make beautiful if you have some money to spend on the inside after you buy it. Friendswood is a great area with great schools (if schools are an issue for you). You really can't go wrong living in Friendswood.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
Like Ronnie said, I would move my search a little West into 77584. Anything around Silverlake, Sunrise Lake, Shadow Creek, Autumn Lake, Southern Trails, and more. You'll have plenty of newer home stock to choose from. Plus you'll be about 20 minutes from the Dixie Farm area, and you can take the Beltway to your job through 288. Much closer than having to take it from near 45.

Another option is around the Pearland Parkway area near Beltway 8.

One thing to remember is that you'll be going to and from work 5 days a week. But you probably won't be visiting friends and family the same amount of time.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
Like Ronnie said, I would move my search a little West into 77584. Anything around Silverlake, Sunrise Lake, Shadow Creek, Autumn Lake, Southern Trails, and more. You'll have plenty of newer home stock to choose from. Plus you'll be about 20 minutes from the Dixie Farm area, and you can take the Beltway to your job through 288. Much closer than having to take it from near 45.

Another option is around the Pearland Parkway area near Beltway 8.

One thing to remember is that you'll be going to and from work 5 days a week. But you probably won't be visiting friends and family the same amount of time.
Sorry, should have been more clear, we will probably see family almost every day. Mother In Law will probably care for our son weekdays.

Close proximity to them is probably most important.

I tried to not get into work because its a long, tough subject. Ill find work closer down there eventually.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 PM

76 posts, read 277,305 times
We moved to West Ranch in Friendswood and love it. Great schools, friendly people (although it seems that most Texans are friendly!) PM me if you need any info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: