Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:15 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times

Advertisements

I own a townhouse in L.A. purchased for 150k and pay about 2,000 a year in property taxes. Am I right in thinking that the same priced house in Houston (lets say a suburb such as Cinco Ranch at about 3%) would be 4,500 in property taxes, 4,500 in school taxes AND 500 in MUD taxes????

If this is true then sadly I may be better off in California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 11:43 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
No, about $4500 total. The WHOLE tax rate would be $3 per hundred. Some subdivisions are less than that - some more. There isn't much in the way of townhomes in Cinco - mostly large homes. If you bought a ranch home in West Memorial in Lower Katy, the tax rate is $2.69 per hundred - for the entire tax package. It's older than Cinco proper - but the homes are smaller and would fit that budget.

Last edited by cheryjohns; 01-07-2012 at 11:55 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 AM

833 posts, read 1,886,584 times
Remember there is no state income tax here. The Government gets their money one way or another. No State Income Tax = Higher Property Tax and visa versa. But yes your taxes would be about $4500 minus homestead exemption and once you reach the age of 65 you get another exemption.

We moved here from Cali back in August, cost of living is cheaper too. Gas and Food are cheaper an there are not five million individual taxes like Cali. You buy a TV in Cali you pay an extra disposal fee, in Texas no fee.

On a side note how the heck did you buy a decent place for $150k in LA? A decent area cheapest we ever saw was 350k and it was nothing fancy to live in a decent area.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 PM

23,975 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
Remember there is no state income tax here. The Government gets their money one way or another. No State Income Tax = Higher Property Tax and visa versa. But yes your taxes would be about $4500 minus homestead exemption and once you reach the age of 65 you get another exemption.

We moved here from Cali back in August, cost of living is cheaper too. Gas and Food are cheaper an there are not five million individual taxes like Cali. You buy a TV in Cali you pay an extra disposal fee, in Texas no fee.

On a side note how the heck did you buy a decent place for $150k in LA? A decent area cheapest we ever saw was 350k and it was nothing fancy to live in a decent area.
I think the governor signed a bill for fees for tv disposal. Could be the sellers are just building it into their price.
Those discarded tv's and old computers end up in China and come back to us in the form of children's toys and cheap jewelry. We will pay for tv disposal either through fees or children's health. Take your pick.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:05 PM

833 posts, read 1,886,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I think the governor signed a bill for fees for tv disposal. Could be the sellers are just building it into their price.
Those discarded tv's and old computers end up in China and come back to us in the form of children's toys and cheap jewelry. We will pay for tv disposal either through fees or children's health. Take your pick.
Cali has some tax, I forget what it is called. But there is a tax or extra fee on anything and everything that can potential harm the environment. Heck buy a car there are like 5 extra stickers on the car about how harmful all the parts and fluids are to the environment.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:19 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
You could get a townhouse in Uptown, on Bering or Augusta,for 150k and have 2.6 taxes, without a MUD, and be able to resell the thing when you had to.

Why buy a townhouse that far away from the core? Especially some area so underdeveloped it has MUD taxes.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:26 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
What is not being discussed are the very high water bills that people not living in a MUD area are paying. My water bill never got over $60, even with excessive watering during the drought. I have heard of outrageous water bills for those using the City of Houston water.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
I've lived in a mud and not in a mud. drought and not in a drought.

MUD taxes on the rent home I had were 3300 a year.........granted, minimal monthly around a 60 -120 bill a month.
I don't think I hit that ever annually in a home,in a NON-Drought year, within COH. This year probably tied the cost with the taxes of the MUD taxes, but then you have to add in the monthly cost...MUD loses hands down

A TOWNHOUSE ISN'T GOING TO WORRY ABOUT WATERING FEES, so why would you elect to pay a tax?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 PM

169 posts, read 450,108 times
Seeing this makes me feel better about living on the opposite side of Houston(Barbers Hill)-There's no MUD Tax in my county & my school tax, one of the lowest rates compared to neighboring districts, ends on your 65th birthday.

But, like Cinco Ranch, there are very few town homes to come by & our single detached homes are very pricey.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:36 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,458 times
Ah ok got it. I thought the school tax was in addition. That's much more reasonable I guess.
I'm not looking for a townhome here, I want a real house this time

To the one who asked, how I got my home at that price: (1) it was a foreclosure (2) it's on the borderline between a nice and not-so-nice area in the valley (3) it needed a bit of work. The location being the main reason it was so cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston