Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 AM

413 posts, read 1,180,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance75 View Post
So, work is north of 610, just east of 290...
Thats why i thought maybe cypress... Thoughts? Schools aremy number one priorty.

Also, strange question, but is there any stigma to living in a smaller or cheaper home? Its not a matter of affordability as much as i cant imagine living i a 4500 sq ft house. I actuaslly prefer smaller.. But want my kds to it in :-)
We're a familiy of 3 - my wife, me and my kiddo. 4300 sq ft is a big house..but eventually we will need the space and I don't want to buy a house every 5 years.

There is no stigma...my frnd bought a 2600 sq ft home in villages of cypress lakes..seems to be a nice community...just too far for me on 290. Syndney harbor is nice too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
Quote:
Also, strange question, but is there any stigma to living in a smaller or cheaper home?
Not at all.
One thing I noticed here is the newer homes they build have small secondary bedrooms compared to what we had up north in the older homes. But to counter that, the new homes here have big family rooms, play rooms, some have media rooms, etc. So there is a lot of communal space. And usually no basements here.
I bring this up because this may change your perception on sq ft. A 2000 sq ft house here may feel different than a 2000 sq ft house there. Or maybe not. Just something to think about when house hunting.

If you are looking to build new, Cypress or the Woodlands/Spring might be best for your work location. If you don't mind the smaller homes and something older, I would look around Spring Branch, The Heights, Oak Forest, Garden Oaks, Timber Grove, etc for a much shorter commute. You have a pretty good budget for a nice house in these areas. Some builders are knocking down and building new in these neighborhoods too, but at a much higher price than out in the burbs.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 AM

6 posts, read 18,221 times
Thanks d2mini.. So good points. I guess we will see when we get out there. I should be open minded.. I mean when we actually see a big house we may love it.. I was born and raised in nyc, then moved to DC and san fran.. So you just dont get those size houses there...

Also, How long are we talking to go the 20 miles down 290 from cypress to 610 ( the one that loos like the inner loop.. My husband works just inside that ).

Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Unfortunately, that 20 mile section is the worst commute in town. What are his work hours?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 18,221 times
Mostly normal business hrs. He is flexible.. He can leave early if better... Would living out 110. (or is it 10) be better?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 AM

833 posts, read 1,886,945 times
There does seem to be stigma about a big house in Texas. We just bought a 1700sqft home because it is just me and my wife and we do not want to clean the entire weekend every weekend or spend hundreds on maid service. I personally don't get it.

I think it is a joke when 2 people buy a 3000+ sqft house. Texans are spoiled rottened when it comes to housing, it is just that simple. It is why our neighborhoods go downhill so quick and values do not go up except for a handful of exclusive neighborhoods. It is the concept of I will just move further out and buy a bigger and bigger home. Talk to people that have lived in Houston a long time and they will tell you about tons of neighborhoods in town that used to be so nice and now are the hood. Remember when Alief was a nice neighborhood?

Old 01-09-2012, 07:58 PM

114 posts, read 225,152 times
I think this cat needs to look at memorial 77024 right? They have a million dollar home in SF now, Memorial has great schools and is close to 10

Old 01-10-2012, 07:17 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,622 times
Quote:
Also, strange question, but is there any stigma to living in a smaller or cheaper home?
Personally I don't have a problem with it. When looking at homes among other aspects I am more concerned with is its livability i.e. layout & ease of movement within; if bathrooms, kitchen and other "work" areas are designed properly with good ergonomics in mind; and lastly their visual appeal, since certain types of architecture can cause an oppressive feel for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston