Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:10 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
Ahh now that we have demonstrated two diametrically opposed viewpoints in the thread, I knew it was only a matter of time before the "take it easy, everyone has their own opinion, and all opinions are valid" crowd showed up.

The squishy middle of the road "moderates" come in to take the high road and chastise us for our vitriol and speaking up for our positions. "Come now children let's all calm down and recognize and respect each other's opinions". I call horse crap.

I prefer to divide the world into two neat categories...the right way and the wrong way.

Being a self reliant individual proficient in the use of firearms for self defense purposes and having the ability to protect your family is the right way.

Irrational hoplophobic fear of weaponry, being an unarmed peasant victim, and mischaracterizing gun owners as "paranoid" or "living in fear" is the wrong way.

That isn't opinion. It is called rational thought.

If you advocate being an unarmed victim and are willing to endanger your life and the lives of your children because of an irrational fear of weapons and an inability to grasp the concept and virtue of self defense, that is not a valid opinion that deserves respect, it is called suicide and child endangerment, particularly for someone who "lives in the hood".
You missed the sarcasm of my posting, so actually, what we have demonstrated is that some internet posters fall in to the category of "douchebag." Congrats, you earned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 05:29 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
You missed the sarcasm of my posting, so actually, what we have demonstrated is that some internet posters fall in to the category of "douchebag." Congrats, you earned it.
Nice try. Sorry, ain't gonna work. Nothing in your post even remotely hinted at sarcasm.

Try again.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:18 PM

753 posts, read 1,482,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
violent crime in this area is nearly non-existent. that is why this story is so crazy.the couple were followed to their home from a shopping trip. the attacker likely is not from this area. unfortunately this type of following home someone to rob them is a common way to do it. there is no graffiti around here. the stability in on the upswing not downswing.

westbury resident
You must live on the other side of Westbury. There's lots of graffiti in the part near Westbury HS/Chimney Rock-West Airport.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 AM

148 posts, read 403,217 times
I live by Westbury High School. Where's the graffiti? I've been in the neighborhood since last July and I've only seen graffiti on the wall when you come off of 90 onto Chimney Rock and it was quickly covered up. Westbury is mostly eldery that have lived there their whole life and then you have people like me that move in once someone has died or the kids sold the house. The other is people who lease the houses out and then you get a family with 12 people living in one house. I live in a part of Westbury where everyone knows their neighbors, we all have each other's numbers, and we all look out for one another. Our street is well lit and I feel safe where I am because of my neighbors and how I protect my house when I'm not there. Anytime you have a neighborhood that backs up to low income apartments you will always have crime there. The neighborhood has crime but it's on the up and up. Gas stations are being remodeled, shopping centers are being revamped. It will only keep spreading and getting better. Look at Meyerland and Bellaire and how long that took. The one thing I would like to see for this area is more patrol instead of the cops and constables just parked somewhere doing nothing. I see the constables parked in parking lots all the time just talking.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times
There are people who hang out waiting for folks who look like they have something. They then follow them home and take it. Neighborhood has nothing to do with this kind of crime.
Low life trash look for vulnerable victims. Tell your grandma to take off the jewelry when she goes to the store or to get her hair done. Drive a moderately priced car.
I keep wasp spray handy. Better than pepper spray.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:06 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I heard that about wasp spray. What makes it better than pepper spray? Also, isn't wasp spray toxic whereas pepper spray is not?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:53 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Something happened in 1988 when thugs from scummy apartments murdered an elderly woman in Braeswood Place - The thugs were traced to an area of scummy apartments - Zeroing in on `Death Valley`/Shocked neighbors turning up heat on drug nest 10/16/1988 | Archives | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle - those apartments were later closed and torn down

Will we see a repeat, with more scummy apartments torn down?

Quote:
There are people who hang out waiting for folks who look like they have something. They then follow them home and take it. Neighborhood has nothing to do with this kind of crime.
Low life trash look for vulnerable victims. Tell your grandma to take off the jewelry when she goes to the store or to get her hair done. Drive a moderately priced car.
If you do realize somebody's following you, pretend like you are driving home, but instead pull into a police station

Old 02-04-2012, 12:48 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Have they found the scumbag yet?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:03 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
I heard that about wasp spray. What makes it better than pepper spray? Also, isn't wasp spray toxic whereas pepper spray is not?
Wasp spray will go for 20 feet or so.

If I ever felt the need to squirt a person, the last thing I care about is whether what is being sprayed is toxic.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Wasp spray will go for 20 feet or so.

If I ever felt the need to squirt a person, the last thing I care about is whether what is being sprayed is toxic.
Agreed, it amazes me that some of this people care more about the criminals than the victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston