Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:19 AM

118 posts, read 280,542 times

Advertisements

I've just completed an Angie's List (positive) on the real estate company that helped me buy this home. I'm preparing an Angie's List report (negative) on the title company that missed the lien.
I really like the idea of Angie's List, where consumers can rate the performance of companies that the consumers use. That way, when the next consumer comes along, they can see how well the company they are considering doing business with has performed in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucillle View Post
I've just completed an Angie's List (positive) on the real estate company that helped me buy this home. I'm preparing an Angie's List report (negative) on the title company that missed the lien.
I really like the idea of Angie's List, where consumers can rate the performance of companies that the consumers use. That way, when the next consumer comes along, they can see how well the company they are considering doing business with has performed in the past.
First, this is typical of Texas title companies. With only a few exceptions, they are terribly run companies, missing liens a blind man could find, and then screwing you over when you try to get them to fix it. I could fill this forum with stories I've heard.

Second, probably not much good in Angie Listing them. People *rarely* pick their title companies, realtors & builders & sellers do. It's not the kinda thing most people look to AL for. Nonetheless, can't hurt!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:48 AM

I see your point. But if more info about title companies was available, people might ask their realtors to choose or avoid a particular title company. After all, there is a lot of aggravation involved here. And expense, too. A later, similar lien was filed that I had to pay, and probably could have avoided a bunch of fees had the first lien been caught timely. And who knows what else might be in the shadows?
I'm not stopping at AL, by the way. I'm sending a note to the BBB and to the Texas Attorney General.
I'm old and retired. When I was working, my employers expected me to do my job. I feel like it is reasonable to expect that others should do their jobs as well.
To me, the expectation that a title company should check my title doesn't seem out of line.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,411 times
This happened to us on the first home we put a bid in on in June of 2011. The homeowner was not paying his HOA fees and had two liens placed on his home. The owner is not supposed to be able to sell the home if he has a lien on it. The fact that it was a foreclosure means it was bank owned. The bank should be held responsible though the title company should have caught it. I would have the title company deal with it. If they don't than I would threaten to sue. That will probably take care of it! Hope it all works out for you.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:37 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
To the OP. I'm curious, why did you pay it in the first place? Did the lien holders threaten you? Or did the title company initially say they weren't paying?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:01 PM

It's OK to be curious, but the answers involve personal issues that in no way involve or absolve the companies whose job it was to present me with a clear title.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
It's OK to be curious, but the answers involve personal issues that in no way involve or absolve the companies whose job it was to present me with a clear title.
Fair enough. I was curious because that's what title insurance is for. After you said you paid for it I was wondering if the title company initially rejected paying for the liens.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:17 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,902 times
Quote:
But if more info about title companies was available, people might ask their realtors to choose or avoid a particular title company.
Sounds like you should tell us who it was.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:24 PM

I'm still trying to find out. Called the title company, they said they were not really a title company but just distributed the funds and did escrow. Called the title insurance company, and they guy I talked to initially told me he had to bow out of the situation because he sent the situation on the the 'research team'. I had emailed the research team and they have totally not responded.
From what the title company said, it was the title insurance company that should have done the search.

And this is sort of off topic, but I don't like the lack of communication. I realize that if I make a claim, it has to be looked at. But a follow up email from the 'research team' reassuring me that they are indeed looking at it and will get back to me in a day or two would have been nice. Dead silence is poor customer service.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I'm still trying to find out. Called the title company, they said they were not really a title company but just distributed the funds and did escrow. Called the title insurance company, and they guy I talked to initially told me he had to bow out of the situation because he sent the situation on the the 'research team'. I had emailed the research team and they have totally not responded.
From what the title company said, it was the title insurance company that should have done the search.

And this is sort of off topic, but I don't like the lack of communication. I realize that if I make a claim, it has to be looked at. But a follow up email from the 'research team' reassuring me that they are indeed looking at it and will get back to me in a day or two would have been nice. Dead silence is poor customer service.
Understandable! It would be very worrisome to anyone to find out about liens after a purchase. I can imagine you paid them because you wanted that issue gone. Just review your "title commitment" for better clarification(although it sounds like you've already taken the appropriate steps.)

You should be ok though, that's what the insurance is for. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: