Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 PM

16 posts, read 46,035 times

Advertisements

I am looking at possibly living in or near Chinatown when I move to Houston. I have heard and read different things about the area that range from the entire southwest part of Houston being unsafe to all of the Bellaire area to just parts being unsafe and some parts being fine. I know that this may be subjective to each person, but is Bellaire unsafe as a whole or is it just some parts? If it's just certain parts, is Chinatown one of them? I am somewhat tolerant of being in less-safe areas but I would still like to know before I go visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 PM

55 posts, read 109,050 times
Residential Sharpstown immediately north of 59 is very safe, most homes are 120k+. The apartments are scummy, but there are some decent condos around the golf course. Chinatown has their own police station so it's quite safe right on bellaire. Elementary schools are great, middle school and high school leave a lot to be desire so you will want to go private. Strake and St. Agnes have great reputations. Don't let the suburbanites tell you anything different, they are very scared people who live in a bubble out in the boonies. I've lived in the area for 15 years so I know it very well, just stay away from the apartments and stick to the residential areas and you will love it. Sharpstown was also voted best hidden neighborhood by houston press.

http://www.houstonpress.com/bestof/2...rhood-2015242/

Last edited by extremeturro; 01-31-2012 at 08:13 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 PM

103 posts, read 136,216 times
Yeah dont let any of the crime reports sway you. When they say sharpstown has had the highest crime in the entire Houston region for years and years, dont believe it and blame it on the suburbanites. Also the Houston Press is the penchant for professional journalism. They never write articles about "wiggers" and never advertise the best places in Sharpstown to get a cheap tug job from girls named Yuri and Miko. And if anyone tells you that, again dont believe it and blame the suburbanites! Yes Sharpstown is the best part in the whole of Houston!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illủmiñatex View Post
Yeah dont let any of the crime reports sway you. When they say sharpstown has had the highest crime in the entire Houston region for years and years, dont believe it and blame it on the suburbanites. Also the Houston Press is the penchant for professional journalism. They never write articles about "wiggers" and never advertise the best places in Sharpstown to get a cheap tug job from girls named Yuri and Miko. And if anyone tells you that, again dont believe it and blame the suburbanites! Yes Sharpstown is the best part in the whole of Houston!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
My friend's parents still live in the neighborhood on Leader St near Ranchester. They have no issues at all.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illủmiñatex View Post
Spoken like a true suburbanite! Sharpstown does not have the highest crime in the city and if you look at any of the crime maps you will see that 95% of it occurs in the apartments. This area is amazing: you will find almost every country represented in some shape or form and the location is absolutely prime. Youre 10 minutes away from the best the city has to offer and with a perfect price to boot. My families home in section 1 has doubled in value from 2000-2010 and mcmansions/renovations are popping up all over the place.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:47 AM

684 posts, read 833,835 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

http://spotcrime.com/#Houston%2C%20TX%2077098%2C%20USA

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 06:28 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 08:15 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,774 times
I would live either closer in towards Bellaire or North toward 77042 or Tanglewild area just North of Westpark. You are still close to Chinatown but not in the middle of it. It really depends if you are renting an apartment or buying a home. I think most everyone on this board including above would discourage apartment living in the area.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:47 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times
There are also HISD magnet schools too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeturro View Post
Residential Sharpstown immediately north of 59 is very safe, most homes are 120k+. The apartments are scummy, but there are some decent condos around the golf course. Chinatown has their own police station so it's quite safe right on bellaire. Elementary schools are great, middle school and high school leave a lot to be desire so you will want to go private. Strake and St. Agnes have great reputations. Don't let the suburbanites tell you anything different, they are very scared people who live in a bubble out in the boonies. I've lived in the area for 15 years so I know it very well, just stay away from the apartments and stick to the residential areas and you will love it. Sharpstown was also voted best hidden neighborhood by houston press.

Houston Best Hidden Neighborhood - Sharpstown - Best Of Houston - Houston Press

Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
There are also HISD magnet schools too.
Yes Sharpstown International High School has a good reputation for a more language based curriculum and isn't too hard to get into. Other HISD magnets like Carnegie, PVA, and Debakey are the best schools by far in the Houston metro (and that includes the suburban districts). But St Agnes and Strake are both in the same area and are pretty great from what I hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: