Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Hmmmm, EHS is far more rigorous than STHS and HCHS.HCHS seriously?..no. Strake is just a UT grindhouse imho..if thats all you strive for...its all good. Its far from a rigorous education
You dont have a son at Strake Jesuit do you? I do, and believe me ,those boys are striving for alot!
Every one of their textbooks are college level and the required classes are very rigorous.
EHS is for the super wealthy who cant get into Strake Jesuit or St Agnes and at 25000 per year its the most overpriced school in the city. They dont require Physics, 3 years of same language and other requirements made by Strake boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 10:41 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
You dont have a son at Strake Jesuit do you? I do, and believe me ,those boys are striving for alot!
Every one of their textbooks are college level and the required classes are very rigorous.
EHS is for the super wealthy who cant get into Strake Jesuit or St Agnes and at 25000 per year its the most overpriced school in the city. They dont require Physics, 3 years of same language and other requirements made by Strake boys.
Lol.ok. Gen 2 boys (my brothers) went to Strake and Kinkaid. Gen 3 in our famiily goes/went to either Kinkaid, EHS or Strake...Strake is not that big of deal. In fact one left Strake for EHS, and he took physics. He Claims to have escaped the BevoBorgs. He goes to Washington and Lee now. Look, Strake's great school like all the top privates, but not on some other academic level. Words like rigourous are best left to St. johns and Kinkaid.

Ps-I know plenty of kids that got into Strake and St. Agnus that decided on EHS due to location. A few that got into both but chose Strake based on economics. Not saying EHS is a little Harvard by any means....but saying its just for rich kids that cant get into Strake is ridiculous and petty. 25% of the student body is on full ride scholarship, many kids full tuition kids With high Isee scores were turned away last year. Competition to get into private is heating up.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 09-08-2012 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Crazy ipad

Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,569 times
Quote:
Hmmmm, EHS is far more rigorous than STHS and HCHS.HCHS seriously?..no. Strake is just a UT grindhouse imho..if thats all you strive for...its all good. Its far from a rigorous education
UT grindhouse? You say it like its a bad thing. UT is the best school in Texas, dont hate.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 21,557 times
If you want the best overall school i would choose Strake Jesuit. It is very rigorous academically and is the only private school in houston in UIL 5a athletic competition. It also has a very nice, college style campus. If you are looking strictly at academics i would say the top schools are St. John's and Strake. Then its St Thomas, St Agnes/Duchesne, Kinkaid, Awty. After that its Houston Christian, Episcopal, St Pius

Old 11-24-2012, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 21,557 times
Quote:
All this talk about Episcopal being a very rigorous school academically is complete nonsense. Do you know how easy it is to get into Episcopal? trust me Ive been through the application process.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:10 PM

241 posts, read 585,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
UT grindhouse? You say it like its a bad thing. UT is the best school in Texas, dont hate.
Rice is the best university in Texas, hands down.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
Rice is the best university in Texas, hands down.
Nope. Rice definitely has a superior undergrad program just because it is private, but UT is by far the best university in Texas when you factor in size, graduate programs, athletics, and resources. UT outranks Rice in 5 out of the 7 major national and global university ranking systems and UT was just recently ranked 25th in the world by Times Higher Education compared to Rice's 72. Don't forget that legendary college experience that Austin provides. Rice has a nice campus in a nice area of Houston, but it just can not compare to UT.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 AM

73 posts, read 158,985 times
HCHS. I would highly recommend this school!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 AM

241 posts, read 585,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Nope. Rice definitely has a superior undergrad program just because it is private, but UT is by far the best university in Texas when you factor in size, graduate programs, athletics, and resources. UT outranks Rice in 5 out of the 7 major national and global university ranking systems and UT was just recently ranked 25th in the world by Times Higher Education compared to Rice's 72. Don't forget that legendary college experience that Austin provides. Rice has a nice campus in a nice area of Houston, but it just can not compare to UT.
I don't disagree that UT is a strong school, but it is not a truly elite academic institution in the realm of Rice. When I think of what the "best" school is I don't factor in things such as athletics. I look purely at academic rigor and quality of students and faculty. Let's compare:

US News national university ranking:
Rice #17
UT #46

Undergrad acceptance rate:
Rice 18%
UT 47%

25-75th percentile SAT of accepted students (reading+math)
Rice 1380-1510
UT 1120-1380

25-75th percentile ACT
Rice 32-36
UT 25-31

Again, UT is a strong school. I will be happy if my daughter one day attends UT, but I will be happier if she attends Rice because I know that she will get a top-notch education in the company of truly outstanding students and faculty. :-) But hey, we can agree to disagree! They are two different animals, both very good.

Last point, though, Rice does not provide a superior undergrad education "just because it is private". It is superior because it was designed to be an elite institution from the start and was led by a great visionary, Edgar Odell Lovett.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
I don't disagree that UT is a strong school, but it is not a truly elite academic institution in the realm of Rice. When I think of what the "best" school is I don't factor in things such as athletics. I look purely at academic rigor and quality of students and faculty. Let's compare:

US News national university ranking:
Rice #17
UT #46

Undergrad acceptance rate:
Rice 18%
UT 47%

25-75th percentile SAT of accepted students (reading+math)
Rice 1380-1510
UT 1120-1380

25-75th percentile ACT
Rice 32-36
UT 25-31

Again, UT is a strong school. I will be happy if my daughter one day attends UT, but I will be happier if she attends Rice because I know that she will get a top-notch education in the company of truly outstanding students and faculty. :-) But hey, we can agree to disagree! They are two different animals, both very good.

Last point, though, Rice does not provide a superior undergrad education "just because it is private". It is superior because it was designed to be an elite institution from the start and was led by a great visionary, Edgar Odell Lovett.

WRONG.

Again, I conceded that Rice does have a superior undergraduate program as proved by your statistics, but you're comparing a population of 2k students to 30k students. Of course a private institution is going to have an upper advantage for selectivity because its designed that way and bringing in US News Report is the biggest BS ever since its framework for ranking schools (including peer university perception) obviously favors privates. UT is a public institution that was designed to educate the best and brightest of all of Texas so of course our SAT scores are going to be lower on average because of state automatic acceptance laws.

But that doesn't mean Rice is an overall better university.

If you want to talk hard rankings UT absolutely destroys Rice. In ARWU's national ranking UT is 27 compared to Rice's 45. In their international ranking UT and Rice are 35-93 respectively. Washington Monthly ranked UT and Rice 19-22 respectively. QS ranked UT and Rice 76-116 respectively. The Times Higher Education ranked UT and Rice 25-72.

If you want to resort to US News and talk about academics, how about you gander at the specific colleges of each university? UT absolutely dominates Rice in engineering, business, the hard sciences, and of course Law -- oh wait Rice doesn't have a law school lol. You can't forget the legendary college experience that UT offers. I went to two massive music festivals, attended some epic parties, went crazy at 6th st, attended a big ass football game, made some amazing friends, enlightened myself in academics -- all in one semester. I love Houston but it just can not compare in the amount of activities specifically catered to young adults like Austin does.

Don't get me wrong, Rice is an excellent school, but its not the better university, UT is -- don't be fooled by the private school illusion.

Hook 'em horns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: