Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 AM

19 posts, read 43,258 times

Advertisements

Contemplating a move to the Katy/Cypress area. Want to visit in summer to 'appreciate' the humidity and heat... I hear it's horrible.

In Illinois, we stay indoors during the winter. I'm guessing Houston is opposite, we'll be indoors during the summer.

My question - I have kids that look forward to summer break, being out of school for 3 months. Do kids seem to be just as affected and tend to be indoors during the summer months? If not, what seems to be popular with teens/preteens during these months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
The same as it is in any other large city. The heat does not particularly dictate what teens and pre-teens do and don't do in Houston during the summer. I grew up in Michigan and have been in Texas for almost 30 years now. Also raised three sons here. Just because it was hot and humid outside, they didn't let that hamper their shenanigans.

Just my $.02

Ronnie

Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Kids are the main ones not really affected by the heat and humidity in the summer. They love going outside.

I know I did but after passing out once really bad I knew I had to take it easy and drink more than normal amounts of water to deal and a good amount of Gatorade. Never passed out again but just dropping to the ground like an actor on TV was scary as crap.

Teens/preteens? Malls, movies, people's houses, etc. There's enough indoor stuff to keep them occupied. The only ones who really like tearing it up outside are under 11. Older than that tend to like more indoor stuff with the exception being swimming. But the YMCA has indoor pools and lots of activities so that's an option. They're expensive as all get out sometimes though.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times
Deja is right on....teens don't usually hang outside in the summer....they are indoors at malls and such. Also ask about the climate for yourself as well....kids grow up and leave, teens even sooner.

I'm a native Houstonian and after 30 years went north to VT by the Canadian border. We might get to 20 below at times but I've NEVER been as crippled by the cold as I was by the heat in Houston. It's easier to toss on a few layers and sit by a fire than to cool off with not only heat but wretched humidity. Also, my heating bill might seem high but it will never match a certain month's a/c bill of $1200 or an emergency call to fix my a/c ON Thanksgiving when I still lived there!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
I dunno about kids, but i'm from NY and I enjoy the outdoors. Cycling, running, skating, swimming, etc.
Of course sometimes I end up taking 3 showers in one day, but whatever. I'm not afraid of sweat.
And all the major subdivisions here have their own water parks and splash pads for the kiddos.

I'm the opposite of the above poster. I can deal with extreme heat better than extreme cold.
Depends on your own body. But ya, expect it to be about the opposite of what you are used to.
There is also something wrong if you can't cool a 3,000 sq ft house for less than $400 in August.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:25 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I'm starting a coal mine for kids. If they dig far enough, there is a cavern with video games and ice cream they can hang out in. It will be open from 7am to 6 pm so as not to interfere with Mom and Dads work schedule.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
My teens stay outside almost all summer. The pool, the beach,kyaking,fishing and hiking. Yes they go to movies and play video games but they would rather be by the pool or outside.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:02 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakalamicnews View Post
Contemplating a move to the Katy/Cypress area. Want to visit in summer to 'appreciate' the humidity and heat... I hear it's horrible.

In Illinois, we stay indoors during the winter. I'm guessing Houston is opposite, we'll be indoors during the summer.

My question - I have kids that look forward to summer break, being out of school for 3 months. Do kids seem to be just as affected and tend to be indoors during the summer months? If not, what seems to be popular with teens/preteens during these months?
It is all in what your kids get used to. A few years back we moved from a northern climate with four seasons to Bangkok where there are two seasons: hot and wet, hot and dry. Our kids adjusted quickly, played outside, participated in outdoor sports, etc. Within a year, an 80 degree day was enough to send them scurrying for jackets and sweaters to stay warm.

Key things for kids is to get them outside, but make sure they have plenty of water, keep them out of direct sunlight and wear a hat. Do that and they will be fine.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakalamicnews View Post

There are a ton of kids camps depending on the age of the kids (depends on what they like to do and it is not inexpensive). My granddaughter (she is 9) goes to camps at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, at the Health Museum, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and at Mad Science. The YMCA also offers summer camps. Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts offer summer camps (teens can be counselors at many camps and even earn some money for it).
On the weeks without camp, she hangs out at our community pool and park with lots of neighborhood children.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
Deja is right on....teens don't usually hang outside in the summer....they are indoors at malls and such. Also ask about the climate for yourself as well....kids grow up and leave, teens even sooner.

I'm a native Houstonian and after 30 years went north to VT by the Canadian border. We might get to 20 below at times but I've NEVER been as crippled by the cold as I was by the heat in Houston. It's easier to toss on a few layers and sit by a fire than to cool off with not only heat but wretched humidity. Also, my heating bill might seem high but it will never match a certain month's a/c bill of $1200 or an emergency call to fix my a/c ON Thanksgiving when I still lived there!
That's what I always say! I mean really, you can strip naked and still be hot for a good while. With the cold, once you add layers and grab a blanket you start warming up pretty quickly.

It's much harder to cool off than warm up in this humidity we have. If it were dry heat that would be different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston