Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:21 AM

686 posts, read 1,168,369 times

Advertisements

Mass Transit Gains Momentum

Quote:
This year's Kinder Houston Area Survey found strong support for mass transit and a growing number of people who say they want to live within walking distance of work and shopping, reflecting what survey founder Stephen Klineberg predicts will become a fundamental shift in one of the nation's most car-centric cities.

It's not just $4-a-gallon gas, he said.

"The suburbs were beautiful when only a few of us were living out there," he said. "The romance with the automobile is fading."

What a coincidence, I currently reside in Katy but I spent a lot of time in the core (downtown, washington ave, mid-town, east end, rice village, montrose, upper kirby, med center) yesterday riding around and observing in addition to eating. Some interesting obs.......

1. Mid-town has become VERY walk-able.... I noticed there were some type of event going on but people were walking all over from one establishment to another spanning a huge swath of area.

2. based on the development in the aforementioned areas, I can already see that entire core becoming really walk-able AND tightly connected in the not so distant furture including Greenway Plaza/Galleria. Once the University line is completed it's all systems go.

3. East end just east of 59 is primed for take off as well. At the moment it's still too industrial for my liking but there are soo many condo's popping up. I would like to see more mixed use developments because at the moment there are no "business/shopping" I could see. With the Dynamo stadium 95% completed and the Light Rail set to be completed within the next 10 months.... I see no reason why that area won't develop similarly to the mid-town area.

4. I spent last weekend in Dallas as I an entertaining a job opportunity for school and educational purposes. The differences between the two cities is almost night and day. While it "appears", Dallas is the more modern of the two, I really like the way Houston is doing business. On one hand the development is Dallas seems really gimmicky. Out of place weird looking bridges and all... While the developments are more neatly organized and ahead of Houston's... it's very lifeless and lacks a true urban vibe... it's like it's just there. On the other hand, Houston's "unorganized" but slow and steady development seems more authentic and real. I really felt like I was in a developing urban mecca. Despite our rail system being somewhat behind Dallas and not having the more elaborate districts, I could really feel an urban buzz on the streets as I noticed people walking and moving about the area's, whether it was on foot, bike or automobiles.

Houston is well on it's way and we are truly a city that caters to needs instead of wants.....which helps keeps our cost of living down. We are finally to a point where we need Mass transit and the city is responding accordingly. I'm not saying their plans are perfect, but you get my point. Barring another Major economic collapse, I'd say the next 5-10 years are really going to be a Major Renaissance for the Houston area on the local, National and World Stage as the city connects all the dots in terms of connecting all of our unique districts. I just hope our leaders maintain a vision doesn't **** it up by catering to certain special interest who wants to keep us all slaves to the automobiles.

So the questions begs to be asked, what should the key transit/urban focuses be on in the near to not so distant future... IMO,

1. Getting the University West End Line Completed
2. More mixed use development in the Core, specifically the EaDo District
3. More dedicated bike lanes throughout the Core
4. Prioritize extending light rail to Hobby Airport
5. Street Cars or BRT (bus rapid transit) to help fill in some of the gaps... like , Washington Ave/Memorial areas, BRT to Bush Airport in the short term.
6. Commuter Rail from Major Metro area edges to the Core
7. Develop a major tourist attraction
8. An image campaign

You thoughts and Opinions?

GOOOOO HOU-STONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 AM

117 posts, read 229,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Mass Transit Gains Momentum

8. An image campaign
That might help, but there is so much competition out there...

Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 AM

686 posts, read 1,168,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionlml View Post
That might help, but there is so much competition out there...
I agree, but here is where Houston "Trumps" most of the competition. It's much more "LIVE-ABLE" or desirable than other cities which are pushing tourism and images.... for example, San Antonio and New Orleans really advertise it's tourism and by default it's city....Houston is much more desirable.... Even if you look at other more desirable places such as Miami or LA, Houston is much more live-able due to our cost of living so the quality of life is much better here.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:01 AM

683 posts, read 834,872 times
Quote:
I agree, but here is where Houston "Trumps" most of the competition. It's much more "LIVE-ABLE" or desirable than other cities which are pushing tourism and images.... for example, San Antonio and New Orleans really advertise it's tourism and by default it's city....Houston is much more desirable.... Even if you look at other more desirable places such as Miami or LA, Houston is much more live-able due to our cost of living so the quality of life is much better here.
I don't think affordability is the one key factor that makes for a good quality of life. I think it is part of the equation. Just like I believe a viable healthy public transportation system is part of the quality of life equation. When a person pays 500-800 a month just to own a car verses living in a more expensive city where my City Pass was only $85 a month....my total household bills (more expensive rent cheaper transportation vs cheaper housing more expensive transportation) equals out.

So would anyone like to imagine what kind of fantastic city Houston would be if it put money into public transportation at a level to make it world class? Best of all worlds...denser inner areas and those who love their cars could live far out and commute via train...thus keeping their lifestyle....I feel Houston is almost there.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM

117 posts, read 229,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
So would anyone like to imagine what kind of fantastic city Houston would be if it put money into public transportation at a level to make it world class?
That is the solution to almost all of Houston's woes.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:51 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,967,505 times
Quote:
The cost of living is low, but so are wages in Houston. It really depends on what each person's definition of a high quality of life is. Is having a huge suburban home more important than having a small aparment surrounded by a lot of things to see and do?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
. Street Cars or BRT (bus rapid transit) to help fill in some
Actually, you're building a streetcar now. In fact, Houston is building what Europeans call a tram. If you look up Euro trams and Houston light rail, you'd be hard pressed to find many if any differences. Houston needs a rapid transit metro rail system. They dont have that yet. It can be heavy (much preferred) or light rail.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:40 PM

683 posts, read 834,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, you're building a streetcar now. In fact, Houston is building what Europeans call a tram. If you look up Euro trams and Houston light rail, you'd be hard pressed to find many if any differences. Houston needs a rapid transit metro rail system. They dont have that yet. It can be heavy (much preferred) or light rail.
Yes....should have been built instead of all those stupid HOV lanes and overpasses...Maybe lightrail can one day replace that mess!

Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 PM

561 posts, read 972,873 times
Whooo! Houston is getting its head out of its a$$ and finally realizing that bigger highways might not be the answer!

What took so damn long?!?!?

Old 04-22-2012, 10:48 PM

405 posts, read 823,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
I don't think affordability is the one key factor that makes for a good quality of life. I think it is part of the equation. Just like I believe a viable healthy public transportation system is part of the quality of life equation. When a person pays 500-800 a month just to own a car verses living in a more expensive city where my City Pass was only $85 a month....my total household bills (more expensive rent cheaper transportation vs cheaper housing more expensive transportation) equals out.

So would anyone like to imagine what kind of fantastic city Houston would be if it put money into public transportation at a level to make it world class? Best of all worlds...denser inner areas and those who love their cars could live far out and commute via train...thus keeping their lifestyle....I feel Houston is almost there.
EXCELLENT points!!! Houston has been discussing getting a good public transportation system up and running for years, but it probably will never happen anytime soon if ever because there is way too much money to be made off the oil and gas industry in Houston. Why else do you think something that should be a no brainer in a city the size of Houston has never really fully materialized no matter how much people talk and complain about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston