Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 8,439 times

Advertisements

So I am graduating from college in the East Coast. I am moving to Houston in July for work. I will only be there for 12 months. My office is right on Westheimer Road, close to Galleria mall. I am looking for an apartment that is right on Westheimer Road or extremely close so I can use public transportation. I know the bus runs through there.

I do not plan on getting a car there as I don't want to worry about insurance and other costs. Also its not that feasible since I'll only be there for 12 months.

Does anyone know of any good apartments in that area? My budget is around $700 a month. Here is the big issue though. I would like to have something that's furnished since I do not plan on buying furniture or renting it for 12 months.

Also how is the bus system on that road. I hope its not dirty and filled with alot of weird people. I would really appreciate your guys' help. I am just getting worried about moving there and am just trying to make sure I can have a smooth 12 months when Im there. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 05:44 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,217,687 times
Get with an apartment locator (just google apartment locator Galleria Houston). They will know about bus lines, rents, etc.

Furnished might be a problem. There are rental furniture places (Fingers, Aaron's) but the rent might throw the total budget over.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:19 PM

488 posts, read 1,384,932 times
When we were looking for apartments when we first moved there were hardly any furnished apartments. We ended up renting furniture from Cort - I think we were around $300 per month for everything we needed for a 2 bedroom apartment.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:22 PM

Honestly the only furniture I need is a bed, couch, table, and prob a TV

Old 04-29-2012, 06:30 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,751,396 times
I wouldn't recommend renting furniture for a year if your company isn't paying for it. Rent a truck for the day from Enterprise and go to Ikea and you can get a bed, tv stand, couch table and night stand plus all the misc. items you need for an apartment for around $1500. If you rent your going to end up spending $3000 over a year.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,025,456 times
My friend's son bought his first sofa and dining table for his apt. from the salvation army or goodwill - very cheap and got decent stuff for a young guy just starting out.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,498,482 times
When you ask for furnished apt, they charge and arm and a leg, better to rent from cort yourself. Also, what about staying in a longterm stay hotel? I don't think cheap ones exist in Galleria area however.
There are some cheap furniture stores like Katy furniture or walmart that you can buy a futon, table and TV for less than 1k and be done with it. That's what I did when I was a student but I also bought a dresser and I just donated it when I moved away although I probably could have sold it on craigslist and got half of my money back since they were in immaculate condition.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:52 PM

I did look for extended stay hotels, but they are charging like $40 a night, which is well over my budget. I am not too concerned about furniture, probably just get some cheap futons and tables from walmart and maybe a small TV. My main concern is getting an apartment in that area within my budget.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM

15 posts, read 32,583 times
Default try further E on Westheimer

Hey there,

I've only been here about 6 months, but my situation is somewhat similar to yours (age and budgetwise anyway). While $700 is definitely low for anything within bus commuting distance to the galleria area, it can be done if you're willing to search. Neighborhoods like Upper Kirby and Montrose do have several older apartments in that range. I currently pay $725 for a one bedroom about 2 blocks from the Westheimer/Shepard intersection and find that it's actually pretty easy to get around the area without a vehicle (I do drive, but I moved here from Chicago and living in an area where I could easily walk to things was important to me). The bus ride down Westheimer to the galleria could take 25-30 mins at rush hour, but it might be your best combination of commute time/walkable neighborhood amenities in your price range. Try har.com and craigslist for apartments in the area. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,965,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energylover View Post
So I am graduating from college in the East Coast. I am moving to Houston in July for work. I will only be there for 12 months. My office is right on Westheimer Road, close to Galleria mall. I am looking for an apartment that is right on Westheimer Road or extremely close so I can use public transportation. I know the bus runs through there.

I do not plan on getting a car there as I don't want to worry about insurance and other costs. Also its not that feasible since I'll only be there for 12 months.

Does anyone know of any good apartments in that area? My budget is around $700 a month. Here is the big issue though. I would like to have something that's furnished since I do not plan on buying furniture or renting it for 12 months.

Also how is the bus system on that road. I hope its not dirty and filled with alot of weird people. I would really appreciate your guys' help. I am just getting worried about moving there and am just trying to make sure I can have a smooth 12 months when Im there. Thank you.
Ikea and craigslist are your friends. Also friends with trucks. $700 will not get you a good furnished place unless you happen to rent out a room of a buddy's place or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston