Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:41 AM

847 posts, read 1,752,411 times

Advertisements

funny you say that.......my wife doesn't like it here much either and wants to move back to austin....she says houston is "ugly" and austin is "prettier"......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 12:16 PM

469 posts, read 1,101,379 times
We moved from Florida 5 years ago. For the first 6 or 7 months we thought we made the wrong decision. Then we started really meeting people and becoming part of the community and those feelings started to go away. Now we love it and couldn't see ourselves back in Florida.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 PM

63 posts, read 116,139 times
The big thing is getting to be a part of something. Back home you had a family, friends, and a community that you were a part of. It sucks to not have it. My fiancé and I had the same thing happen to us until we started meeting people and going out with them. Houston's a great place but without the right people it's not that special. Put some folks around you that have similar interests and you two will feel much better.

Last edited by texas2188; 05-17-2012 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,492 times
This may not be particularly helpful or comforting, but she may never adapt depending on what her internal make up is.

I used to work in an industry where frequent relocation was normal. Some people were adventurous, took on every new opportunity with a excitement and worked hard to embrace their new location and integrate quickly. Some people approached it with a bit more trepidation but settled fairly quickly. Some took a bit more time to settle. Some couldn't cope with the change, weren't willing to leave behind the past and embrace the future and were miserable until they left (which was usually much earlier than planned).

This is true regardless of where you are from. I had two kiwi's (New Zealanders for those who don't know the term) move to work for me in Seoul, Korea. Both brought their wives. One of the wives stayed cooped up at home, never made an effort to integrate or explore, was miserable and demanded her husband quit and return home to New Zealand. After two months, that is exactly what happened. The other spouse took it as an adventure, went out often to explore, sought to learn the language and settled quickly. She loved it.

I've seen the same thing time and time again including with my wives (I have had two). First one was a wreck on one relocation and we ended up divorcing. Second one has made 8 moves with me in 12 years and has enjoyed every single one and settled well. Only thing I can suggest is to encourage and help your wife to embrace what Houston has to offer. Whatever it is you guys like (museums, symphony, opera, sports, eating, etc.) get out and do it often on the weekends if you can. Encourage her to join local women's groups to get to know more people and be more active. However, if she is not an adventurous person then she may never settle.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:35 PM

63 posts, read 101,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman123 View Post
Did you feel like giving up and moving back home? I guess the toughest thing is not having the family around.
Ive moved several times and honestly can say Ive never gotten homesick. Moving from St Louis to Houston in a few months and cant wait. So excited. However,hope things get better for you.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:36 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
My girlfriend move here from NJ a year and a half ago. She hates it here. She says the same thing. It's too boring here, etc. From MY experience, women seem to like Houston less than men. When I moved here, I came with a different girl and she was only able to tolerate Houston for about 6 months. I think we as men are less bothered by the humidity (hair thing I hear) and don't care so much that it is so ugly and full of strip clubs and prostitutes. The city does grow on you, and some people even grow to like it here.
Really where the hell do you people stay, casue I have to go to certain parts of town to find a strip club, like 90 % of houston are homes and business.. jeez..

Old 05-17-2012, 01:59 PM

61 posts, read 166,878 times
I hear ya on that David. So your old girl left back to Jersey and now you have another one from NJ as well? You know females are so ruled by emotions sometimes that they let little things go overboard and they have no patience.

Quote:
My girlfriend move here from NJ a year and a half ago. She hates it here. She says the same thing. It's too boring here, etc. From MY experience, women seem to like Houston less than men. When I moved here, I came with a different girl and she was only able to tolerate Houston for about 6 months. I think we as men are less bothered by the humidity (hair thing I hear) and don't care so much that it is so ugly and full of strip clubs and prostitutes. The city does grow on you, and some people even grow to like it here.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:02 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Really where the hell do you people stay, casue I have to go to certain parts of town to find a strip club, like 90 % of houston are homes and business.. jeez..
Ride down Richomd Ave, then come up and go down 1960 and see all the "massage" parlors. This is not a negative for me, but the abundance of these establishments and even human trafficking in Houston is well known (not only Houston obviously, Portland actually leads the nation in Human trafficking oddly enough).

Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,153 times
Quote:
Ride down Richomd Ave, then come up and go down 1960 and see all the "massage" parlors. This is not a negative for me, but the abundance of these establishments and even human trafficking in Houston is well known (not only Houston obviously, Portland actually leads the nation in Human trafficking oddly enough).
trust me thats not alot that a strip, you want alot go to hong kong, or any asian nation, the bars are just fronts for hookers, are do people think 100 us for a beer is the normal currecny conversion..lol

Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyman123 View Post
I hear ya on that David. So your old girl left back to Jersey and now you have another one from NJ as well? You know females are so ruled by emotions sometimes that they let little things go overboard and they have no patience.
Actually, the one that I came with moved back to Florida. My current gf moved here from NJ, but they are both Colombian (I guess I am a very lucky guy).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston