Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:47 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,122,554 times

Advertisements

its good to listen to other people's opinion both negative and positive ones but you should be able to tell who's just full of BS. Its also good to know who is making the statements. I feel that many here are stay-at-home kind of folks whos living a little bit easier than the workforce who feel the pains of getting to work and the lack of rewards for doing so. Some dont work the 9-5. There are folks who can express in a way that theyve actually asked their family how they feel about houston. Some (many) are realtors or realtor-wannabes, and only has something positive to say about where they live. 'lots of things to do', 'lots of places to visit', 'great restaurants' (and then dont get specific) etc some phrases that pretty much tells you one person has bland tastes or is quoting another member. some folks are originally from 'bad'/boring/ugly (sorry)places - less popular cities in the US and other countries. then there are people who are so lonely their only love is the city - we got many of these in NYC. they know soooo much and speak of the city like the folks who found jesus.
as for the negative folks, watch out for the repesentatives from the Dallas forums. There are many here that gives a thumbs down for valid reasons and jumped on by the folks that dont agree (on other people's decisions?) so you can imagine there are more thumbs down whos just lurking. some people are just sick of houston like some may be sick of MA, NY, FL etc - they just needed the change similar to the ones coming in
in any case, if you're going to learn about houston thru these boards you better learn a little bit more about who's talking/typing.
I'm neutral (seen as negative)

Last edited by Wysiwyg; 09-24-2007 at 11:18 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 11:35 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,122,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Galveston has a Jersey Shore feel to it.
right. which part again is like the Jersey Shores? youre probably talking about West atlantic city waters. Clearlake does have the Raritan river(NJ) feel to it

Old 09-24-2007, 11:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniec78 View Post
I'm leaving for Houston this coming Thursday and by reading most of the responses on here it seems Houston is completely lousy. I currently live in Massachusetts and I'm excited to be heading to Houston because I hear people in TX are very friendly. After reading so many threads on here I'm getting the feeling Houston is an ugly city, the people are not nice at all, and it's a bad place to live. Is this true or are these threads just being written by negative people? I would appreciate any feedback on the city. I plan on being in the city for about 6 months or so. I don't think I'm going to be there beyond that amount of time but since I am heading there I'm curious if it's as bad as so many people on here state it is.
here is what shaken cousin. i was there for 13 years a u. of h. grad.
i love it also love new orleans my moms hometown. but 130,000 of new orleans not so finest, got bused there and are causing problems.
houston has got the self defense and property rights laws and the guts to deal with it, but until this culture clash (and believe you me its not new orleans culture, its gang bang culture) is resolved it might be a little rough.
but i love the city. hang tough.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,847 times
positive: Ppl have more manners, suburbs are nice, cheap, get more bang for your buck, jobs, no need to be pretentious, diverse, easy to find parking (well due to lack of density), real nice weather 6 months of the year

Negative: ugly (or not, ok, go see google street map for yourself), lack of beautiful natural surroundings, beach dirty, lack of density/walkablility in city, sprawl (hey, easy to find parking), strip malls and ugly billboards, public transportation lacking, not nice weather 6 months of the year.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 AM

90 posts, read 362,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
right. which part again is like the Jersey Shores? youre probably talking about West atlantic city waters. Clearlake does have the Raritan river(NJ) feel to it
Hahahahahaha, okay, that was funny. I rarely agree with your view of Houston, but Galveston is no Jersey Shores...or any other nice beach for that matter.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:01 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
But it's also a misconception to say Galveston is Dirty, Because it's not in the basic sense of the word. Like someone else on these forums has said time and again, a lot of it is just sediment from the Mississippi River, plus the Gulf is shallow, and surrounded by land. Not the same as Florida, that just juts out into the water, or California. No moon shaped Gulfs there. So it's not as if there is just trash laying around all over.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:19 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,577,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
its good to listen to other people's opinion both negative and positive ones but you should be able to tell who's just full of BS. Its also good to know who is making the statements. I feel that many here are stay-at-home kind of folks whos living a little bit easier than the workforce who feel the pains of getting to work and the lack of rewards for doing so. Some dont work the 9-5.
It surprises me, but I agree with Wysiwyg. A lot of people on this site do not work. I'm sure a great deal of members are still in high school.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:21 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,577,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
positive: Ppl have more manners, suburbs are nice, cheap, get more bang for your buck, jobs, no need to be pretentious, diverse, easy to find parking (well due to lack of density), real nice weather 6 months of the year

Negative: ugly (or not, ok, go see google street map for yourself), lack of beautiful natural surroundings, beach dirty, lack of density/walkablility in city, sprawl (hey, easy to find parking), strip malls and ugly billboards, public transportation lacking, not nice weather 6 months of the year.
I love the way you managed to make even the positives sound negative. We know where your stance is. Anyway, I hardly doubt that Google street map gives a decent depiction of what a place is really like. I used that feature for New York, and it did the city absolutely no justice.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniec78 View Post
I'm leaving for Houston this coming Thursday and by reading most of the responses on here it seems Houston is completely lousy. I currently live in Massachusetts and I'm excited to be heading to Houston because I hear people in TX are very friendly. After reading so many threads on here I'm getting the feeling Houston is an ugly city, the people are not nice at all, and it's a bad place to live. Is this true or are these threads just being written by negative people? I would appreciate any feedback on the city. I plan on being in the city for about 6 months or so. I don't think I'm going to be there beyond that amount of time but since I am heading there I'm curious if it's as bad as so many people on here state it is.
I like Houston. It's not a pretty city, the whole concrete jungle thing with too many billboards, but I think it has great restaurants (Lupe Tortillas, Chuy's, Pappasitos, Churrascos, Goode Company...), friendly people, lots of options for places to go and things to do (theater---the Alley, Tuts, etc.; museums--science, art, children's...; space center; Kemah boardwalk; arboretums--Mercer, Houston...; the Angelika..a personal fave..; festivals; outdoor theater (Miller); lots of live music; concerts at the Toyota Center, professional sports teams, great places on Westheimer for antiquing, Old Town Spring is very cutesy and crafty...the list goes on. Like any town, it has good and bad points, but I have really enjoyed living here. We're moving to New Jersey now, and I'm sad to leave!

Last edited by kikanakala; 09-25-2007 at 07:35 AM..

Old 09-25-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
But it's also a misconception to say Galveston is Dirty, Because it's not in the basic sense of the word. Like someone else on these forums has said time and again, a lot of it is just sediment from the Mississippi River, plus the Gulf is shallow, and surrounded by land. Not the same as Florida, that just juts out into the water, or California. No moon shaped Gulfs there. So it's not as if there is just trash laying around all over.
You're right, they have really cleaned it up in the last few years, but I still wouldn't consider it a pretty beach, or one of Houston's highlights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston