Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:17 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
No, it's much worse!
You don't even live in Houston... or Texas for that matter

Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikanakala View Post
I don't think Dallas is a "beautiful" city, but I do think it's more attractive than Houston. I still get the feeling of being attacked by billboards when driving through Dallas, but there don't seem to be as many of the strip malls, and it seems more compact and just feels cleaner. ...
The only way I consider Dallas more attractive is that some areas look nicer because they have zoning, unlike many areas of Houston. Aside from that, I don't like the prairie landscape of Dallas and its lack of big trees and lush greenery in comparison to Houston.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:21 AM

17 posts, read 110,524 times
I Love North Carolina needs to stay in North Carolina if scenery is an issue... Not everyplace can have mountains. Houston does not place well in the "natural beauty" category, but it still is a beautiful city to me regardless. I still gasp in amazement
everytime I visit family there and look @ the downtown skyline.... Houston is a concrete jungle with 300 jack in the boxes (or it seems) on every corner, as well as Starbucks..... but certain areas of the city are gorgeous to me (River Oaks/ Galeria area) , Memorial, Northwest Houston with its stately pines not to mention The Woodlands. In my book, the scale tips in Houston's favor in many, many areas.... North Carolina, don't make Houston seem like the ugly duckling....... By and large, it is a very clean city as well!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:18 AM

84 posts, read 761,298 times
Coming from San Francisco, I expected all but the worst in moving to Houston. I have been here for a while and have chosen to stay long term. All the negative stereotypes simply are not true, however, we do have warm weather for 3 months (July-Aug). Houston is an amazingly cosmopolitan city with great arts, theater, symphony and simply the best food. Houston is the convergence zone for Southern, Cajun and Mexican food. Not to mention large Chinese, Indian and Pakastani populations, meaning more great food. Only two complaints: to ski or get a decent pizza, you got to get on a plane! a

Old 10-01-2007, 11:22 AM

84 posts, read 761,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoIStayOrDoIGo View Post
I Love North Carolina needs to stay in North Carolina if scenery is an issue... Not everyplace can have mountains. Houston does not place well in the "natural beauty" category, but it still is a beautiful city to me regardless. I still gasp in amazement
everytime I visit family there and look @ the downtown skyline.... Houston is a concrete jungle with 300 jack in the boxes (or it seems) on every corner, as well as Starbucks..... but certain areas of the city are gorgeous to me (River Oaks/ Galeria area) , Memorial, Northwest Houston with its stately pines not to mention The Woodlands. In my book, the scale tips in Houston's favor in many, many areas.... North Carolina, don't make Houston seem like the ugly duckling....... By and large, it is a very clean city as well!
Agreed. Since I have joined this forum many months ago, I Love North Carolina has done nothing in my opinion, but provide an unbalanced negative opinion of Houston. Houston is an amazingly clean city as compared to San Francisco where I am from.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmglab View Post
Only two complaints: to ski or get a decent pizza, you got to get on a plane! a

Skiiing yes, pizza no! Dunno if they're there still, but there was this little place called The Pisa Pie when I lived there up through 2004. It was on Main St. south of the medical center, inside the loop across from the Timmy Chan's. Pretty ghetto area, but excellent pizza!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:44 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniec78 View Post
I'm leaving for Houston this coming Thursday and by reading most of the responses on here it seems Houston is completely lousy. I currently live in Massachusetts and I'm excited to be heading to Houston because I hear people in TX are very friendly. After reading so many threads on here I'm getting the feeling Houston is an ugly city, the people are not nice at all, and it's a bad place to live. Is this true or are these threads just being written by negative people? I would appreciate any feedback on the city. I plan on being in the city for about 6 months or so. I don't think I'm going to be there beyond that amount of time but since I am heading there I'm curious if it's as bad as so many people on here state it is.
did not see my post on houston?.
i love houston. im a U. of H. grad.
however. we know this part of the country. mom is from new orleans we lived there too. stuff has happened. houston imported 130,000 of new orleans not so finest after katrina. FEMA is running out and recipients have openly made threats of robbery to augment their income.
houstonians have the property rights laws, self defense rights laws, and the guts to deal with it but it will be rough for a bit til they cycle out of this.
hope that helps.
stephen s

Old 10-01-2007, 11:48 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Skiiing yes, pizza no! Dunno if they're there still, but there was this little place called The Pisa Pie when I lived there up through 2004. It was on Main St. south of the medical center, inside the loop across from the Timmy Chan's. Pretty ghetto area, but excellent pizza!
Houses in houston come with atleast one full sized shining convection oven. We have mastered making the korean bbq that we missed from NYC, I sure can make my favorite pizza if i have to!

Old 10-01-2007, 03:58 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
The only way I consider Dallas more attractive is that some areas look nicer because they have zoning, unlike many areas of Houston. Aside from that, I don't like the prairie landscape of Dallas and its lack of big trees and lush greenery in comparison to Houston.
My sister is in dallas this whole week and went to Houston to visit some relatives. She said that Dallas is "backwoods" compared to Houston. she likes Houston because Houston is more developed all over the city. Dallas is miles and miles of flat Prarie land with a skyline in the middle. Houston has 5 skylines throughout the city with a skyscraper or 2 in between so it doesn't feel so much like backwoods.

She said she went into a store and was talking with the store clerk. She told him that she has relatives in Houston and he said "Oh i'm so sorry for them!" She replied and said "No, i'm sure they're saying that about you!"

No attack on Dallas but I don't see why some Dallasites even have the nerve to think they're better than Houston!

Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 PM

26 posts, read 115,565 times
Houston is AWESOME!!! We just moved here and absolutely love it! It is extremely affordable, the city skyline is pretty, the food is good, and there is so much to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston