Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:29 PM

243 posts, read 799,926 times

Advertisements

greenspoint is bad too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:48 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Most of the inner loop was the original suburbia, thank you very much.
Worst: Inner Loop
Best: Downtown Houston!

Happy now? Or should I be more specific with which part of Downtown?

(Worst: Skyline District (Smith/Louisiana a.k.a. the REAL Energy Corridor)
Best: Historic District)

Old 06-15-2012, 12:27 AM

67 posts, read 163,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
greenspoint is bad too.
I thought it was gunspoint

Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrowingintohouston View Post
I thought it was gunspoint
"Gunspoint" is a derogatory nickname for "Greenspoint" - It was very accurate in the late 1980s and early 1990s

Old 06-15-2012, 01:00 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Best Champions

Worst ITL

Old 06-15-2012, 01:03 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Worst: Inner Loop
Best: Downtown Houston!

Happy now? Or should I be more specific with which part of Downtown?

(Worst: Skyline District (Smith/Louisiana a.k.a. the REAL Energy Corridor)
Best: Historic District)
I am never happy.

Best: Allens landing.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:37 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,176,658 times
Worst: Under the Pierce Elevated.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:16 PM

81 posts, read 306,549 times
Default vegankris

Vegankris ~ I assume you're a vegan? If so, have you heard of the organically raw food co-op that's the biggest now anywhere? I'm considering moving to Houston just because of this access to fresh food from local farmers and would love your opinion on which neighborhoods are more traditional (no gated subdivisions), maybe near the Arboretum where the co-op has it's pickup location? Your opinion on safe, affordable rental places would be appreciated.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:33 PM

644 posts, read 1,354,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomona View Post
Vegankris ~ I assume you're a vegan? If so, have you heard of the organically raw food co-op that's the biggest now anywhere? I'm considering moving to Houston just because of this access to fresh food from local farmers and would love your opinion on which neighborhoods are more traditional (no gated subdivisions), maybe near the Arboretum where the co-op has it's pickup location? Your opinion on safe, affordable rental places would be appreciated.
Hey Pomona! I am vegan and currently I'm working on opening up an actual cooperative grocery store with lots of local produce. We have a possible location, a board of directors and lots of community support. There is an awesome urban farm close by that has agreed to be one of our suppliers once we are up and running. The farm is within just a few miles of us, so the produce will be very fresh. I'm new to Houston, so not very familiar with the area near the arboretum. I live in Eastwood which is a community about 2-3 miles east of downtown. It's an older area and one of Houston's first residential neighborhoods. I'm a part of a CSA and my pickup is about 5.5 miles away in the Heights. It's easily bike-able from where I live and I actually really enjoy the ride, so I don't mind that it's a little far away.

My best advice to you as far as moving to Houston is to live as close to work as you can. Trust me that you don't want to have to rely on the Houston highways to get to work. They are awful! Think about miles and miles of a parking lot.... Also, although safety can be an issue, if you do your homework, you can find safe areas anywhere in Houston. People on this board seem to be overly obsessed with the "safety factor". We live in a transitional neighborhood, but I feel perfectly safe. I ride my bike home late at night at least 4 or 5 days a week and have never had a problem or felt unsafe.

Good luck!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:24 PM

243 posts, read 799,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicman View Post
"gunspoint" is a derogatory nickname for "greenspoint" - it was very accurate in the late 1980s, early 1990s, and even today!
fify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston