Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
cla cla started this thread

898 posts, read 3,307,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
I am a little sad that I never tried a Honey Jalapeno chicken. Since discovering 'Beer Can Chicken' on the grill hubby doesn't want it any other way - this is the recipe I use Beer Can Chicken with Cola Barbecue Sauce Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network
I have yet to try Beer Can chicken. The HJ chicken was just too convenient (and awesome). I guess I will have to add beer can chicken to my list of things to try next on the grill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 01:35 PM

488 posts, read 1,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
I have yet to try Beer Can chicken. The HJ chicken was just too convenient (and awesome). I guess I will have to add beer can chicken to my list of things to try next on the grill.
You definitely should. So easy, buy chicken, apply rub, stick a beer can where the sun don't shine, stick on grill. I bought a proper stand from Amazon (I actually bought a twin stand so I could make 2 at a time) so the chicken(s) wouldn't fall over on the grill. I bet you could make a great honey jalapeño marinade or glaze that would taste great!

Old 07-03-2012, 07:46 PM

56 posts, read 98,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I find all HEB rotisserie chicken just "meh"... ( I have to admit - I never had the HJ chicken, but tried the others).
The HEB chicken is injected with broth so the meat just taste cooked not roasted. If you do it at home in one of the rotisserie machines, then you will see and taste the difference in meat texture. The meat will be still moist and juicy, but not salty/watery. And of course you can experiment with different seasonings.
Try it, and you will fall in love with your rotisserie machine in no time!
I have been working for HEB in the deli department for the past 3 years, and the above is simply not true.

Actually, they discontinued the honey mesquite flavor as well (my personal favorite). Its funny about the honey jalapenos though....they were the slowest seller of all the chickens, but when they were discontinued several people a day came up to the deli counter with the saddest looks in their eyes

HEB DOES use the Tony injector, but not for their roti chickens. These are used for the in house roasted cajun turkeys.

We did start carrying a cajun roti chicken..... presumably for the 'HJ' fans, but they are just ok.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 PM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funeral979 View Post
I have been working for HEB in the deli department for the past 3 years, and the above is simply not true.
I don't work there but I noticed that the meat is just unnatural juicy ( press a piece of breast with the fork and see how much juice it will create ) and the meat texture/taste is different compared to chicken you rotisserie at home.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,562,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
Well as long as you don't choke on your chicken, the HJ should be just fine.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 PM

240 posts, read 807,871 times
Funeral979, I have often wondered how the rotisserie chickens were cooked. So no injected anything in the chickens?

As a single person, I find the rotisserie chickens a blessing. I can buy one on Sunday and make it last practically the entire week. It is nice to open the refrigerator and see it there because I know that I will not have to create a giant mess in the kitchen making something just for me, myself, and I.

And by the way, I prefer the original flavored although I am curious what flavor is requested the most.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 PM

56 posts, read 98,276 times
No, we don't inject them with anything at all....we get them in fresh almost everyday, and the skin of the flavored ones are lightly coated (the honey mesquite and honey jalapeno in particular as nothing is added on to these). For the italian herb, lemon pepper, and mesquite bbq we sprinkle a seasoning on these for additional flavor. The new cajun ones are just the original flavor that we marinate with spices (I don't think the cajun is available at all stores).

The best seller by far is the original

Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times
Default Roast at home...

I agree with the previous poster about the rotisserie machine at home. The "Set it and Forget it" unit... we have one, you take note of the weight of the chicken, put in 15 minutes per pound and it will cook it to perfection every time. Chicken is great hot off the machine, and is just as good later. The chicken just falls off the bone. The only problem is it is bulky to clean; but mainly just the tray and a wipedown on the inside. Christmas is coming soon! I wonder when we will see the first advertisements for Christmas... last year I saw Lowes getting ready in August.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:30 AM

240 posts, read 807,871 times
Yes, I am lazy. I used to have a giant rotisserie chicken toaster oven but it was a royal pain to clean up! I will gladly pay the $6.99 for the chicken already cooked.

Thanks funeral979 for the information about the chicken. That makes me feel a bit better.

Last edited by Thila; 07-04-2012 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 AM
cla cla started this thread

898 posts, read 3,307,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funeral979 View Post

Actually, they discontinued the honey mesquite flavor as well (my personal favorite). Its funny about the honey jalapenos though....they were the slowest seller of all the chickens, but when they were discontinued several people a day came up to the deli counter with the saddest looks in their eyes

HEB DOES use the Tony injector, but not for their roti chickens. These are used for the in house roasted cajun turkeys.

We did start carrying a cajun roti chicken..... presumably for the 'HJ' fans, but they are just ok.
I did try the cajun and it was rather bland. I don't think enough people tried the Honey Jalapeno. Everyone I talked into trying it became hooked - I guess I should have expanded my campaign beyond my closest friends and co-workers. Maybe I could have saved the beloved HJ. Or maybe HEB could have done a better job of promoting the honey jalapeno. I bet a meal deal that said "Free HJ with purchase of Original rotisserie chicken" would have done the trick.

Maybe there's still a chance - what about a protest with signs like "I want an HJ"?

I did notice that the honey mesquite was gone as well. I occasionally got that if I couldn't get a hj.

Last edited by cla; 07-04-2012 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston