Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:22 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
We do feel that way, every time we get a chance to vote them out we do. Unfortunately, there is so much money to be made that our legislature gets paid off to slip these cameras in and get more money to vote against statewide bans. Things are turning though, there has been a big shift in the Texas senate and have our best chance in years for a statewide ban.
And I hope Texas gets its statewide ban!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 04:06 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
the election of November 2010.
I asked for data to support that the Houston cameras were a scam not an election outcome to ban them...BTW that barely passed and the votes were primarily from family, freinds and customers of Kubosh and people who don't like getting caught running red lights.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Barely passed? It passed by a greater margin than any of the sports stadium referendums, port bonds, or Metro rail proposals.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:51 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
As, the previous poster just predicted - I could care less about CCTV, but that's just me. I'm not doing anything to be concerned about so I guess I don't care who sees me. I saw those signs in London, I read them and moved on. Didn't bug me at all. I believe if I am not mistaken there are some in the downtown area of Houston and they've used them to catch purse snatchers, car thieves, etc. They are either already downtown or proposed. Saw it on the news but never gave it a second thought until I saw this. Because I am on camera, I certainly don't feel like I have lost any of my freedom or rights. You've been on camera every time you walk into a convenience store, grocery, or mall for years.

Yeah nobody wants this stuff now but if there were to be some act of terror or terrorist event, I would be the same people who don't want it would be trying to find someone to file suit on for their losses because we didn't have it. Its a no-win.
A bit off topic, but I agree with it. Those city cameras helped solve many crimes.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 PM

448 posts, read 702,617 times
Sorry, I forgot subtlety like logic is lost on you. Since you have trouble remembering, no you didn't ask for "data" your exact words were (emphasis added)

"I would like to see your source as to how the red light cameras in Houston were a scam "

I refered you to the source that decided the cameras were a scam, the voters in Houston. Like the voters in Baytown decided it was a scam, like the voters in college station decided it was a scam, like the 70% of voters in dayton decided it was a scam. Just like in over two dozen elections around the country that decided the cameras were a scam, that's all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I asked for data to support that the Houston cameras were a scam not an election outcome to ban them...BTW that barely passed and the votes were primarily from family, freinds and customers of Kubosh and people who don't like getting caught running red lights.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Sorry, I forgot subtlety like logic is lost on you. Since you have trouble remembering, no you didn't ask for "data" your exact words were (emphasis added)

"I would like to see your source as to how the red light cameras in Houston were a scam "

I refered you to the source that decided the cameras were a scam, the voters in Houston. Like the voters in Baytown decided it was a scam, like the voters in college station decided it was a scam, like the 70% of voters in dayton decided it was a scam. Just like in over two dozen elections around the country that decided the cameras were a scam, that's all that matters.
Seriously that is what you interpret from your source?....talk about zero logic.

When someone claims that something is a scam I like to know what they are basing that statement on. What is thier source? i.e. What data do you have to support that claim? Get it now?

What is ironic is that it has never been proven to be a scam in Houston. Do you know why? Because it was not a scam.

Lastly I did not ask you the question.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:41 PM

448 posts, read 702,617 times
What proof would you accept? What is your source that it wasn't a scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Seriously that is what you interpret from your source?....talk about zero logic.

When someone claims that something is a scam I like to know what they are basing that statement on. What is thier source? i.e. What data do you have to support that claim? Get it now?

What is ironic is that it has never been proven to be a scam in Houston. Do you know why? Because it was not a scam.

Lastly I did not ask you the question.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:02 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,747 times
The red light cameras are a scam by virtue of the fact that they were installed without first trying simple measures like a longer "all red" duration at all intersections.

For all the dope smokers among us, that means that all of the traffic signals in every intersection would be "all red" for a longer amount of time. Make it 5 seconds if you have to. This means that the people with a green light don't make their way into an intersection while some drunk redneck is running his red light (or at least the chances go down significantly with a longer all red duration). Now we can all idle in the intersection and stare at each other for an extra 5 seconds, making sure no one is running a red light.

Get it yet?

No, instead we get into bed with the money grubbing red light camera skanks, to the tune of multi-million dollar contracts with penalties, and install a bunch of orwellian cameras to harass people and deny them their Constitutional rights, all in the name of "preventing red light runner accidents".

Does all that make more sense than a simple reprogramming job on the existing traffic light infrastructure?

And the sheeple gleefully allow this farce to go on so that they can get that cheap sexual thrill by "showing those red light runners what's what". Yea that'll show 'em. These are the same people that would've electrocuted you to death in the Milgram experiment (wiki it).

Last edited by eric3781; 08-06-2012 at 09:18 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
What proof would you accept? What is your source that it wasn't a scam?
OMG get a life!

We have been down this road already. Just go back and read it for yourself.

Again I did not ask you the question.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
The red light cameras are a scam by virtue of the fact that they were installed without first trying simple measures like a longer "all red" duration at all intersections.

For all the dope smokers among us, that means that all of the traffic signals in every intersection would be "all red" for a longer amount of time. Make it 5 seconds if you have to. This means that the people with a green light don't make their way into an intersection while some drunk redneck is running his red light (or at least the chances go down significantly with a longer all red duration). Now we can all idle in the intersection and stare at each other for an extra 5 seconds, making sure no one is running a red light.

Get it yet?

No, instead we get into bed with the money grubbing red light camera skanks, to the tune of multi-million dollar contracts with penalties, and install a bunch of orwellian cameras to harass people and deny them their Constitutional rights, all in the name of "preventing red light runner accidents".

Does all that make more sense than a simple reprogramming job on the existing traffic light infrastructure?

And the sheeple gleefully allow this farce to go on so that they can get that cheap sexual thrill by "showing those red light runners what's what". Yea that'll show 'em. These are the same people that would've electrocuted you to death in the Milgram experiment (wiki it).
I see sheep as those who just follow the crowd and not ask questions believing what they are told without questioning. Some traffic ticket attorney jumps up and down and yells it's a scam then by golly it must be so the sheep thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston