Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:27 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times

Advertisements

...is all of the freaking home burglaries and home invasions WTF even LA wasn't this bad.

Houston area falls victim to barrage of burglaries - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:38 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
I guarantee you it isn't unique to Houston. Try looking up the crime reports for major cities nationwide.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:44 AM

194 posts, read 440,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I guarantee you it isn't unique to Houston. Try looking up the crime reports for major cities nationwide.
I don't get this attitude in Houston.

Newcomer: There is a lot of crime here!
Local: What did you expect?

Why aren't the locals bothered? Why don't they care?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
...is all of the freaking home burglaries and home invasions WTF even LA wasn't this bad.

Houston area falls victim to barrage of burglaries - Houston Chronicle
Funny, I thought that there would be no crimes in Texas since we are a right-to-carry state.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Funny, I thought that there would be no crimes in Texas since we are a right-to-carry state.
Yeah right. 90% of the time it just makes for more badass young men who get a thrill out of getting away with bucking the system.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzOne View Post
I don't get this attitude in Houston.

Newcomer: There is a lot of crime here!
Local: What did you expect?

Why aren't the locals bothered? Why don't they care?
Because it's a big city and where you expect it (in poor areas). There is nothing worse or better about the general population that lives in Houston and if you live in certain parts of town, burglaries are going to be a part of that area.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Because it's a big city and where you expect it (in poor areas). There is nothing worse or better about the general population that lives in Houston and if you live in certain parts of town, burglaries are going to be a part of that area.
Expecting something does not equal accepting something. I expect crime in Houston. I don't like it, and it is absolutely one of the worst problems facing a transplant. If you're content with it, fine. I am not. It's too bad there is nothing "better about the general population that lives in Houston."

Old 08-13-2012, 11:33 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Expecting something does not equal accepting something. I expect crime in Houston. I don't like it, and it is absolutely one of the worst problems facing a transplant. If you're content with it, fine. I am not. It's too bad there is nothing "better about the general population that lives in Houston."
Content? I opt not to live in the 5th ward to avoid it. You trolling dude?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Content? I opt not to live in the 5th ward to avoid it. You trolling dude?
Not at all. I'm a new transplant, and I'm just surprised by how everything works here. I've lived in Chicago, and I've spent a lot of time in Detroit. So, I'm not naive about crime. I just think that many locals have become so accustomed to it that they don't even see it as a problem anymore. In fact, much of the local music brags about it. It's almost like a source of pride here.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Stop putting words in people's mouths. I never said I accepted anything, but Houston is a big city, and crime is a reality of big cities, with only a few exceptions. This isn't a Houston problem; it's an American problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston