Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:48 PM

489 posts, read 621,664 times

Advertisements

To give my two cents as a homeschool mom to the op, I would say that you should either arrange for the children to finish out the year in school, or buy homeschool curriculum appropriate for all of them and oversee their studies yourself. I think it would be negligent to just pull them out without any plan to educate them for that length of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 06:15 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
The vast majority of homeschool families are working very hard to educate their children....with or without government oversight. Test scores/many studies have proven as much. The ones who are from "slacker" homes would probably be flunking out of a brick and mortar school anyway,due to the dysfunction of the home/lack of parental oversight. The real problem is not government oversight/interference, but the functionality, or the lack thereof, of the family unit.
So true. In fact, isn't this the cause of just about all of our problems today? Back to the OP's question -- if your children have the chance to go overseas with you as a family take it. It will be much more valuable than the 20 hours of recess, 10 hours of "physical education", 10 hours of assemblies, etc that they would have missed in the last month of school. Remember, it's here to serve your children, not the other way around.

Frankly, the school system is a complete joke. I learned this when I got the chicken pox in 4th grade and was able to make up about week's worth of school work in about 5 hours.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:39 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,891 times
[quote=CAHomeschoolMom;25853708]The vast majority of homeschool families are working very hard to educate their children....with or without government oversight. Test scores/many studies have proven as much. The ones who are from "slacker" homes would probably be flunking out of a brick and mortar school anyway,due to the dysfunction of the home/lack of parental oversight. The real problem is not government oversight/interference, but the functionality, or the lack thereof, of the family unit.[/QUO
I couldn't agree with you more. Most home school families are very successful at educating their children. I just know of a family that pulled their daughter out of school because " she didn't feel like waking up in the morning." She is 14. Just makes me wonder how many are out there.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
To give my two cents as a homeschool mom to the op, I would say that you should either arrange for the children to finish out the year in school, or buy homeschool curriculum appropriate for all of them and oversee their studies yourself. I think it would be negligent to just pull them out without any plan to educate them for that length of time.
I will very likely not take them out of the country for a variety of reasons, including their love of the spring sports they'll be involved with. But my question to you is, who do you think you are, judging me? How dare you suggest that I would negligent as a parent?

I think it's ridiculous that you would call my plan negligent, when you know next to nothing about me, my plans, or my children. My children are far enough above grade level that I could pull them out for a year and they wouldn't have trouble with the curriculum for the following year. We're talking about the last month of school, when not a whole lot happens in the classroom. They would spend that month living in another country, visiting cultural sites with their parents who are college professors. Having done this over the summer I can assure you that they learn plenty, without the benefit of homeschooling curriculum.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 AM

66 posts, read 117,811 times
I went to public school, and I have to say it IS the way public school is. It's abusive and only instills obedience to authoritarianism in individuals. Teachers are so overwhelmed with crap that they give no individualism to students and teach authoritarian style, "shotgun" information and pray something sticks, without any regard to functionality or use of information, and if students don't learn it, well, too bad. You get a scarlet letter mark for the rest of your formative years. You'll be lucky if you get a job cleaning toilets.

Even worse than the educational part of public/private school is the mass herding social indoctrination. You're bullied if you stand out and ask questions and intimidated, and teachers turn a blind eye to it. In fact, I've seen teachers promote bullying.

Private/Public school is disgusting. No wonder only poor people go to them.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlol View Post
I went to public school, and I have to say it IS the way public school is. It's abusive and only instills obedience to authoritarianism in individuals. Teachers are so overwhelmed with crap that they give no individualism to students and teach authoritarian style, "shotgun" information and pray something sticks, without any regard to functionality or use of information, and if students don't learn it, well, too bad. You get a scarlet letter mark for the rest of your formative years. You'll be lucky if you get a job cleaning toilets.

Even worse than the educational part of public/private school is the mass herding social indoctrination. You're bullied if you stand out and ask questions and intimidated, and teachers turn a blind eye to it. In fact, I've seen teachers promote bullying.

And there you have it folks. Go to public or private school, and you, too, will have to put..."with my mom" when asked for one's location on a public forum.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:09 AM

49 posts, read 127,411 times
I think you need to call your specific district's admin office and ask the questions, especially about magnet school status for the following year. I assume that they are in elementary, and would have to agree that it is likely that they wouldn't miss a thing. If they were in GT classes for middle school, I could see them missing a concept or two in something like math, but would think it was pretty easy for them to finish the workbook in homeschool, etc.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:52 AM

489 posts, read 621,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I will very likely not take them out of the country for a variety of reasons, including their love of the spring sports they'll be involved with. But my question to you is, who do you think you are, judging me? How dare you suggest that I would negligent as a parent?

I think it's ridiculous that you would call my plan negligent, when you know next to nothing about me, my plans, or my children. My children are far enough above grade level that I could pull them out for a year and they wouldn't have trouble with the curriculum for the following year. We're talking about the last month of school, when not a whole lot happens in the classroom. They would spend that month living in another country, visiting cultural sites with their parents who are college professors. Having done this over the summer I can assure you that they learn plenty, without the benefit of homeschooling curriculum.
I am sorry if I came off as if I am judging you. You are right that I do not know anything about you. *I* , however, would feel like I needed to do something educational with my children during that last month beyond traveling....but that is just me. There are even apps you can download that drill spelling, geography, math, etc. I think setting aside time each day for working on basic skills year round is valuable, and prevents them forgetting things over the summer, etc. But, I do agree with you that traveling abroad does provide a unique and valuable component to one's education. I am sure not minimizing that.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:55 PM

834 posts, read 2,684,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlol View Post

Gosh what school did you go to? Have you joined a school board to "fix" the problem?

Last edited by Houston_2010; 08-29-2012 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: adding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: