Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 AM

489 posts, read 621,960 times

Advertisements

Hi, all! I am posting this for my cousin, who is having her third interview with a company in Houston. She would be working in Sugar Land (77479) and is going to need a one bedroom apartment ( more would be nice, but not necessary). She has a medium size dog, in the 30 LB range, so she needs to find a place that will allow her to have the dog. Being a single girl, she also needs a place in a safe neighborhood. She can pay about 700.00 a month...she does not want to go higher than that....and would rather pay less.

Any ideas? I guess Katy is fairly close, too....not sure which area would be more affordable? Anyway, trying to help her out, and would appreciate any help and ideas you could pass along. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 04:25 PM

27 posts, read 90,655 times
Your cousin will be staying at an apartment!!! How dare she.

There is no such thing as a 'safe' or a 'good' apartment. Apartments are dumps where the homeless and illegals and minorities congregate before heading out to the nearest beautiful MPC to attack and rob the peaceful homeowners.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Ok, thanksomuch for your bitter, useless, self- serving rant.

Anybody have something helpful to share....I really would appreciate any good suggestions. Thanks in advance .

Old 09-08-2012, 02:21 AM

39 posts, read 110,240 times
depending on where you live...DO NOT live in Katy. Traffic to and from Katy is HORRIBLE during rush hour. Expect your commute time to double if you live in Katy. It's a nightmare.

Sugar Land is a great place to live at. I grew up there. Traffic to and from Sugar Land is not nearly as bad as it is to and from Katy.

As far as apartments go, if she doesn't want to live in the ghettos, expect to pay at least $800/mo. Anything below that is a "no-no." and there really is no "safe" apartments in Houston period. I lived in four different apartments with one bedrooms usually at around $900. No matter how nice the apartments are, expect to hear about 2-3 car break-ins and 2-3 apartment break-ins during your lease period. and it shouldn't be hard for your sister to find an apartment that will accept big dogs. Most apartments accept them. If she's going to live in Sugar Land, I suggest looking at apartments around Dulles High School, Clements High School, or around the intersection of Highway 59 and Highway 6.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:27 AM

340 posts, read 803,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi79 View Post
Your cousin will be staying at an apartment!!! How dare she.

There is no such thing as a 'safe' or a 'good' apartment. Apartments are dumps where the homeless and illegals and minorities congregate before heading out to the nearest beautiful MPC to attack and rob the peaceful homeowners.

Sound 100% accurate to me.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
Sound 100% accurate to me.
Well, here there is such a thing as a safe and nice apartment. That is a scary commentary on the area. What do just starting out, single people do who cannot yet afford or be tied down to a mortgage? Are you trying to tell me there are no safe, decent apartments in the Sugar Land suburbs??

Old 09-08-2012, 02:37 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,372,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
Well, here there is such a thing as a safe and nice apartment. That is a scary commentary on the area. What do just starting out, single people do who cannot yet afford or be tied down to a mortgage? Are you trying to tell me there are no safe, decent apartments in the Sugar Land suburbs??
Yes, there are relatively safe apartments in the area. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Yes, there are relatively safe apartments in the area. Just remember, you get what you pay for.
Ok, so to get a decent, clean place in a safe area, are you looking at 800.00 plus a month?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 PM

222 posts, read 418,335 times
I have only just signed a lease for a 2BR apartment. I think >=800/mo sounds about right for a decent place. She might also want to consider Stafford as apartments are slightly cheaper there but mind you, cheaper might also mean less safer and more issues.

Good luck !

Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,372,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
Ok, so to get a decent, clean place in a safe area, are you looking at 800.00 plus a month?
That sounds about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston