Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Anybody who says things like they "avoid something like the plague" probably has an issue with tolerance. And of course he's a liberal.
Actually, I am a Libertarian. Hey, if anybody likes The Woodlands, that is great. I don't. I do get why a lot of people do enjoy it. I am more of a Montrose or Heights kind of person. These are just completely different areas. It isn't about tolerance. Why would I go hang out in an area I don't like?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 AM

489 posts, read 621,664 times
Default Reverse of the Dustbowl?!

Sorry....thought I was starting a new thread! Apologies!

Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
I agree, there certainly is a lot of land and that is the ONLY thing holding prices down. However, at some point, people are not going to want to live in the boondocks. This might sound funny, but there IS traffic now in the Woodlands. As you go further and further west on Research Forest Dr or Woodlands Parkway and get further and further from "downtown", it starts to become unattractive. So they can build all they want out west, but I don't think people are going to want to live out there. I mean just to get to 45 it can take 20 to 25 minutes. That makes Houston a deal killer if anyone wants to drive there. It is nice being close to 45 and the restaurants and shops downtown. You're more likely to get out of the house and do things if it's not a pain to drive 25 minutes to get there.
This is why they should have built The Woodlands Parkway similar to the Grand Parkway in Cinco Ranch, or at least Highway 6 through Sugar Land. That thing is too tiny. I did read about the proposed flyovers along 45. That should help some.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 AM

18 posts, read 50,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
The mall and little Market square has some diversity to it. When you out into the neighborhoods, not so much. To answer your question, I avoid The Woodlands like the plague. I have been there 50 or so times. Wine bars and overpriced chains are not my thing.
David is kinda right. The Town Center feels nice and walkable but the lack of independent businesses makes me head Downtown at the weekends with the wife and kids where we grab authentic Vietnamese food, dim sum and South Asian curries.

There are some people of colour here but calling TW diverse is pushing it.

Having said that, we appreciate the great schools, safe neighbourhood, and general ease of living of suburban America.

I also appreciate the gorgeous women who jog by, always offering a greeting and a smile

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-08-2012, 11:15 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,559 times
I never understand these posts. I try to. Don't get me wrong, I make an honest effort, but it never registers. I honestly think you have a belief system that simply won't allow you to be happy for whatever reason unless you conform to these beliefs. First of all, the Town Center area has a lot of nice and unique restaurants and wine bars of which very few are chains. In fact, my biggest complaint is they are too expensive and too nice. But this idea that you can't be happy unless you go to some independently owned place is a load of crock. And I have no problem saying that. You can choose your own happiness. I grew up dirt poor. I mean dirt poor. I remember for my birthday's growing up my mother use to take me to McDonalds. Yes, McDonalds!!!!! See we never or rarely ate out. Always ate at home. Always watched our wallet. What was significant about eating at McDonalds was not the restaurant, it was the thought and the gesture. Knowing my family couldn't afford to do something nice but for my birthday, it was symbolic. What brought me happiness was not the food, but being with my family. As a grown man to this very day, I remember those things and it was special. Yeah, a meal that cost about $2 at the time from a fast food restaurant was actually special. I just get seriously annoyed when people make this outrageous comments that they don't like the Woodlands or any place for that matter because it doesn't have the "right" type of places to make YOU happy. This country is so far of the map in how spoiled we are that it really gets to me. We are so lucky to live in a country where we can be so specific about where we live because some neighborhood doesn't have enough unique Vietnamese restaurants.

David Dollar has this same problem. His happiness is restrictive that he just can't live in a world where he can't do everything precisely the way he wants to do it when he wants to do it and how he wants to do it. He can call himself a libertarian, I call him spoiled. It boggles my mind the lengths that Americans have to go to these days to find happiness. Of course these are the same people that probably wouldn't be caught dead in a church. Go figure right.

I'm not trying to attack you here or lecture you, but if you want to be happy with your kids and your family, you show them that it's not WHAT you do or WHERE you do it, but the fact that you ARE doing it and with THEM that it makes it special. Don't let your kids grow up to be the same dissatisfied jerk you are. You owe them better.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Actually, I am a Libertarian. Hey, if anybody likes The Woodlands, that is great. I don't. I do get why a lot of people do enjoy it. I am more of a Montrose or Heights kind of person. These are just completely different areas. It isn't about tolerance. Why would I go hang out in an area I don't like?

No, you want to be around people LIKE you. Not people different then you. And funny you accuse the Woodlands of being too white. Pot meet kettle.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 AM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
I never understand these posts. I try to. Don't get me wrong, I make an honest effort, but it never registers. I honestly think you have a belief system that simply won't allow you to be happy for whatever reason unless you conform to these beliefs. First of all, the Town Center area has a lot of nice and unique restaurants and wine bars of which very few are chains. In fact, my biggest complaint is they are too expensive and too nice. But this idea that you can't be happy unless you go to some independently owned place is a load of crock. And I have no problem saying that. You can choose your own happiness. I grew up dirt poor. I mean dirt poor. I remember for my birthday's growing up my mother use to take me to McDonalds. Yes, McDonalds!!!!! See we never or rarely ate out. Always ate at home. Always watched our wallet. What was significant about eating at McDonalds was not the restaurant, it was the thought and the gesture. Knowing my family couldn't afford to do something nice but for my birthday, it was symbolic. What brought me happiness was not the food, but being with my family. As a grown man to this very day, I remember those things and it was special. Yeah, a meal that cost about $2 at the time from a fast food restaurant was actually special. I just get seriously annoyed when people make this outrageous comments that they don't like the Woodlands or any place for that matter because it doesn't have the "right" type of places to make YOU happy. This country is so far of the map in how spoiled we are that it really gets to me. We are so lucky to live in a country where we can be so specific about where we live because some neighborhood doesn't have enough unique Vietnamese restaurants.

David Dollar has this same problem. His happiness is restrictive that he just can't live in a world where he can't do everything precisely the way he wants to do it when he wants to do it and how he wants to do it. He can call himself a libertarian, I call him spoiled. It boggles my mind the lengths that Americans have to go to these days to find happiness. Of course these are the same people that probably wouldn't be caught dead in a church. Go figure right.

I'm not trying to attack you here or lecture you, but if you want to be happy with your kids and your family, you show them that it's not WHAT you do or WHERE you do it, but the fact that you ARE doing it and with THEM that it makes it special. Don't let your kids grow up to be the same dissatisfied jerk you are. You owe them better.
You might not be trying to attack, but that is exactly what you did. Speaking of jerks, just add a r to your name. Perhaps you should get a pulpit.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You might not be trying to attack, but that is exactly what you did. Speaking of jerks, just add a r to your name. Perhaps you should get a pulpit.
Hey, if the shoe fits...

Old 09-08-2012, 12:36 PM

301 posts, read 571,133 times
Quote:
Hey, if the shoe fits...
Agreed.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 AM

670 posts, read 1,442,249 times
Wow, arguing for page after page about which place is better to live. Pumping up your own neighborhood, posting glorified pictures. Christ people, do something constructive with your time. 3 pages of utter nonsense, unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston