Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM

489 posts, read 621,664 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about this lately.....

My grandparents on both sides came here to CA from Oklahoma and Arkansas to escape their limited lives, and to have greater opportunities economically. They both did well, and their children lived their lives and made it fine here in CA. But, now their grandchildren are finding So. CA too expensive to buy a home, and have a quality of life, because to live here well requires pulling down a pretty large salary, or two. So, all of my cousins....ALL of them, have headed East, and are not looking back. Specifically they have settled in TX and VA. We, too, are about to make our move to TX. Many of my friends are trying to get jobs elsewhere and get out, too. Not to mention businesses leaving my area by the droves for the last decade plus. So....

Do you think this is part of a larger, potentially historically notable trend? Is the future of our Nation shifting East now? What do you think the demographics shift will look like nationwide in the next decade or two? I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Last edited by CAHomeschoolMom; 09-07-2012 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 11:48 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
I think it's a definite trend. There are many more viable options now than before though, so that could stop all the growth going to certain areas/cities. But Texas sure is getting the largest portion of these transplants.

I think Texas will shift more liberal in the near future with a lot more diversity than it has now. Not sure about the demographics. I haven't seen the statistics of those actually moving here. But it's an interesting trend that's happening.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
Its due to politics and their direct effect on business. California has regulated and taxed everything they can....the level of taxes and regulation strangles the economy and cuts deeply into profits for employers. It also lowers employee morale b/c their quality of life is much lower due to not being able to afford the things they want. Less regulation, lower taxes = more profit & higher quality of life.

Democrats have literally decimated California with all their policies. The sad part is that, like locusts, once they have destroyed everything, they move on and do it again somewhere else. The only thing keeping more people from California out of Texas is our weather..apparently most democrats dont like hot/humid. Ive heard that Colorado will be the next California. Many of the liberals fleeing California are settling in Denver.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:26 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
People make the "Evil California" bigger than what it is..... due to politics.

People go where there's good paying jobs, safety, low cost of living, good education for their kids... that's what 99% of people in the whole World want.

One reason people move out of California that is never mentioned is that they can sell their houses, move to a similar house in a cheaper part of the country and have 50-75% of what their house was worth left in cash for retirement, sounds like a heck of a deal for anybody that is about to retire.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Its due to politics and their direct effect on business. California has regulated and taxed everything they can....the level of taxes and regulation strangles the economy and cuts deeply into profits for employers. It also lowers employee morale b/c their quality of life is much lower due to not being able to afford the things they want. Less regulation, lower taxes = more profit & higher quality of life.

Democrats have literally decimated California with all their policies. The sad part is that, like locusts, once they have destroyed everything, they move on and do it again somewhere else. The only thing keeping more people from California out of Texas is our weather..apparently most democrats dont like hot/humid. Ive heard that Colorado will be the next California. Many of the liberals fleeing California are settling in Denver.
If California is so terrible who is buying all the expensive houses that are pricing OP and her family out of the market?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
its due to politics and their direct effect on business. California has regulated and taxed everything they can....the level of taxes and regulation strangles the economy and cuts deeply into profits for employers. It also lowers employee morale b/c their quality of life is much lower due to not being able to afford the things they want. Less regulation, lower taxes = more profit & higher quality of life.

Democrats have literally decimated california with all their policies. The sad part is that, like locusts, once they have destroyed everything, they move on and do it again somewhere else. The only thing keeping more people from california out of texas is our weather..apparently most democrats dont like hot/humid. Ive heard that colorado will be the next california. Many of the liberals fleeing california are settling in denver.
+1

Old 09-07-2012, 12:36 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
If California is so terrible who is buying all the expensive houses that are pricing OP and her family out of the market?
Hollywood and silicon valley folks.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
CA is a great place to live, if you are very wealthy, or if you are in a comfortable income/retirement fund bracket, and the house you bought years ago for a couple of hundred thousand is now worth close to a million or more.

But, to answer the question, there is a lot of big money out here. People who pay cash for multi-million dollar homes, etc. People "make it" financially somewhere in the World, and come to CA for the Weather, lifestyle, etc. It's great for them, and I am not 100% sure that if I was in their shoes economically, I would leave. But, for the middle class, and those just starting out with trying to buy their first home, etc. , it's just a tough place to try and make it.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Well, I am a conservative who definitely is not fond of heat and especially humidity, lol! But,you take the good with the bad, and every place has it's pros and cons.

Also, I know many places in CO are liberal, (especially Denver) but there are some pretty conservative areas, too, right? How about CO Springs, where tons of Christian ministries ( including many, like Focus on the Family, that started here in CA) relocated for financial overhead reasons. That seems like a pretty conservative area.

Oh, and I agree with you about regulation and taxes running business people out of CA! It is insane!

Old 09-07-2012, 01:08 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,371 times
Quote:

Really? I presume you are aware that a Republican has been Governor of California for all but about 5 years since 1983. Davis, from 99-03 was Democrat and now Brown since '11. Apart from that, all Republicans since the first time Brown's first reign ended in '83.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston