Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times

Advertisements

Get a sharpie and write "I need a job" on the back of your hand, place it over your heart and take the 'Vote Obama' pledge, and post it online. Now there is some real hope to be had there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 08:59 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
And while you're at it go ahead and expense you rent and food to the same "Hope" party :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Get a sharpie and write "I need a job" on the back of your hand, place it over your heart and take the 'Vote Obama' pledge, and post it online. Now there is some real hope to be had there.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Pledge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
For those who did not understand what I was speaking of... here is information about the pledge.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
I would not mention Obamma at all if looking for oil jobs. He hates oil and gas (and coal), cause they are 'dirty energy'.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,600 times
Thanks everybody for your replies. I'll try to address everything.

After reading everything here and also talking to some more people at SPE, I'm thinking the path of getting a job on an oil rig or in the midstream is going to be the best next step for me, and I'd love to have the practical experience as a foundation for my career anyway.

I do have a LinkedIn profile, it's up-to-date and I even have it on my business cards!

I put in apps with Technip and CBI. I've also given my resume to the people at Technip at a job fair here in Houston a while ago.

The master's degree is still a goal for me. I think if I can study for the GRE while working for a year or two, I will be in a good position to go back to school.

Also thanks for the tip about Indeed.com, it's helpful to have an inside look at which sorts of sites the companies use.

I'm starting to feel better about my situation now that I have a plan to go by. I'm planning to keep searching in Houston until my lease runs out, and then I'll see about moving to Midland, TX to continue my search if nothing comes up between now and then.

And the sentiment about Obama has been really tangible throughout the process, haha! I'll leave the analysis for Scarlett Johansson and her pledge for "cleaner energy", I never knew she was such an expert.

Last edited by YoungOilandGasHopeful; 09-24-2012 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: didn't see second page of responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: