Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,492 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I've just been relocated to work at my company office on Richmond Ave, 77042.

I am looking for a safe and quiet negihbourhood to rent/buy.
Currently I'm staying near Briar Forest Drive and will need to move out eventually.

I've been searching online and found out that Sugarland seems good for familay life and has a low crime rate.
Can anyone tell me how far is Sugarland going to be from my work place or if it is reasonable to go and Sugarland considering the location of my workplace.?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 11:39 PM

162 posts, read 554,408 times
You are gonna have to be way more specific than "safe and quiet" neighborhood....which is pretty much what everyone is looking for.

Sugarland has a lower crime rate than the westchase area where you are currently, yes. But Sugarland being a big city on its own (almost 100,000 people) has its own crime.

Sugarland is big, so depending on where you go will depend on your commute. It will also depend on if you are willing to pay to use the tollway. You can take the beltway and 59 and get to sugarland in around 20 minutes, maybe 15 if you speed and traffic is light, and you dont have to go far off the freeways. Rush hour traffic will take you 30-40. If you dont want to payto use the tollway, those times will be longer.
But it depends on where in the city you live. Living on the north end, or the south end could be the difference of 10 miles/20 minutes of driving

reasonable is relative and is up to you. Some people consider 1hr commute to be reasonable. others think anything more than 10-15 minutes is unreasonable.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:16 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
I dont know what your budget or bedroom needs are, but you can get a nice safe townhouse in 77024, and eastern 77079,and be within 10 minutes of work for under 120k. Single family home prices start at over 300k. Leases of townhouses can be found too. Best schools in the metro. Very family oriented areas, full of parks.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,055,298 times
Budget is important. But you can stay fairly close to work and be safe and quiet. Like EA mentioned, 77024 and 77079 are great areas.

Sugar Land is a great city/suburb to stay in. You'll probably have to budget at least $180k-$200k for a home there. It will just depend on the area, but the pricing can go way up if you want it to.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 AM

175 posts, read 367,650 times
Sorry, but as someone who is involved in buying a house right now in 77077, I think I can safely say that single family homes in 77079 and especially 77024 start closer to the 400K mark. For 300K, you're not going to get much in these areas. We looked around in Sugar Land. You can find a home for around $200K if you are willing to be zoned to less than exemplary schools. Homes zoned to Commonwealth Elem, for example, start at about $300 and that is pretty much rock bottom. We looked at some homes for around the $350K mark in Sweetwater, Avalon, and Commonwealth and they were complete dumps. We found a nice one in Telfair for about $375K and it was snatched up pretty quickly. Housing stock is extremely low right now. If you're looking for a house, set up searches on HAR.com, check daily for new houses and if they look good, get in there and set up a showing with your agent immediately.

If I were working in 77024, I'd probably look at Katy. You get more for your money there as compared to Sugar Land. Sugar Land, though, is so much more beautiful, in my opinion. I personally thought Katy looked a bit run down in areas. And I don't like that prairie look. I prefer nice mature oaks, like the ones in SL. The sale on our current house may fall through, and if it does, I'll be looking at Sugar Land again.

Don't mean to offend, just trying to inject some realism about the current housing market in Houston.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 AM

142 posts, read 398,307 times
Check out Upland Lakes near I-10 and Wilcrest. Would be a 10 minute commute for you.

Upland Lakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston