Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:28 PM

19 posts, read 23,322 times

Advertisements

...I've been hearing about, but have yet to experience?

I recently relocated to the houston area(missouri city) and have had some bad experiences with BBQ, Mexican,Jamaican, hell I cant even find a decent Pizza place. Stopped by this BBQ joint the other day on S. Post Oak rd, and had the worst BBQ ever!! And I'm not joking, everything was out of the can, and they gave me "smoked" PROCESSED turkey breast!! WTF?!?!
I've basically been driving around looking for places, and hoping i stumble across a hidden gem of some sort.
Do any of you guys have any recommendations or can you tell me specific areas of town (I'm willing to drive a distance if need be)that are known to have good places to eat? Thanx in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,075 times
Thanks for posting this. Since I moved here three months ago, I've pretty much had the same tepid experiences with the cuisine as you have and I can't figure out why. In a pinch, Tacos Del Julio will probably satisfy your Mexican craving, and it is reasonably priced too. Yes it is a chain, but it is pretty good and it passes the "authentic" test better than most places. Also, Brisket House on Woodway has pretty good barbecue. I'm curious to see what others here recommend. Here's hoping that this board proves to be a better source of reliable restaurant info than Yelp! has been for me so far.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,587 times
Here is just a smattering of my favorite places off of the top of my head:

Crapitto's Cucina Italiana (galeria area) it's been a few years, but at least back in the day was one of the best Italian places in town I had experienced.

Fadi's Mediterrranean Grill (off Westheimer) middle eastern cuisine is some of my favorite after two summers spent studying and travelling in Israel, Jordan and Lebanon. This place is one of my absolute favorites, and does an excellent job with this cuisine.

Hido Grill & Sushi (Willowbrook area) some of the best sushi in town in my experience.

Pappadeaux (multiple locations) excellent cajun seafood dishes.

Grimaldi's Brick Oven Pizzeria (Woodlands) one of my favorite pizza places in the world, and I have travelled both this country and the world extensively. Warning, depending on your view of pizza though, this is very authentic Italian style, very thin crust pizza. But excellent quality ingredients and well prepared.

Sambuca Restaurant (Downtown) It's been a few years since I've been here, but they often have live jazz music, a very cool atmosphere, and both times I went we had an outstanding dining experience.

Kenny & Ziggy's New York Deli (Post Oak/Galeria area) Great deli/sandwhich shop, a really great place.

Niko Niko's (Montrose) Great Greek food, some of the best in town, or at least on the short list. Great food.

Fogo de Chao (Westheimer) Brazillian steakhouse/roasted meats. A definate must visit in my book.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 PM

385 posts, read 967,804 times
Lulling City Market on Richmond has good BBQ.

Frank's Pizza in Downtown has really good pizza.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:02 AM

114 posts, read 253,135 times
Give up trying to find good BBQ in Houston, first of all. You can find a few places that serve acceptable BBQ (and plenty of places that serve downright garbage BBQ), but you won't find anything even remotely as good as the stuff further out in West Texas.

There are tons of great places to eat in Houston (it's one of the few truly *great* things about this city). Personally, I suggest Cafe TH or Don Cafe for Vietnamese (Pho Benh is surprisingly decent out your way in Sugar Land). Little Jimmy's Deli has better gyros than Niko Niko's (which is insanely overpriced and not very good if you've had legit Greek food before). Bubba's has great, sloppy, heart-attack inducing burgers (and great buffalo burgers for the healthier option), and Lankford Market has good burgers, too. Tacos Tierra Caliente has the best tacos in town. Tortas el Angel and Mexico's Deli have the best tortas. Papa Geno's has pretty fantastic philly cheesesteaks. Luigi's, Pink's, Star Pizza are all solid pizza options (Luigi's is the best, IMO). El Rey is great Mexican/Cuban food. Heights Asian Cafe, Qin Dynasty, a bunch of places in Chinatown have good Chinese food. Gatlin's has the most acceptable BBQ if you absolutely must. I agree with most of the suggestions the guy above me made (though I would say Darband has way better middle Eastern food, Fadi's is fine).

Trust me, as someone who has been wanting to move out of Houston for the last few years, the quality of the food has been one of the few things keeping me going. I should weigh 400 pounds.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 AM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
I worked in Stafford for a while and I would recommend this places
- La fogata - Hole-in-wall colombian restaurant, but really good
- Pier 61 - Delicious seafood

There's also a good mexican restaurant across the street from La Fogata, but I can't find the name.
I've heard that Kim Son is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapasmurf76 View Post
Give up trying to find good BBQ in Houston, first of all. .
Pizzitola's BBQ - Best BBQ ribs you'll ever eat

Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapasmurf76 View Post
Give up trying to find good BBQ in Houston, first of all. You can find a few places that serve acceptable BBQ (and plenty of places that serve downright garbage BBQ), but you won't find anything even remotely as good as the stuff further out in West Texas.

There are tons of great places to eat in Houston (it's one of the few truly *great* things about this city). Personally, I suggest Cafe TH or Don Cafe for Vietnamese (Pho Benh is surprisingly decent out your way in Sugar Land). Little Jimmy's Deli has better gyros than Niko Niko's (which is insanely overpriced and not very good if you've had legit Greek food before). Bubba's has great, sloppy, heart-attack inducing burgers (and great buffalo burgers for the healthier option), and Lankford Market has good burgers, too. Tacos Tierra Caliente has the best tacos in town. Tortas el Angel and Mexico's Deli have the best tortas. Papa Geno's has pretty fantastic philly cheesesteaks. Luigi's, Pink's, Star Pizza are all solid pizza options (Luigi's is the best, IMO). El Rey is great Mexican/Cuban food. Heights Asian Cafe, Qin Dynasty, a bunch of places in Chinatown have good Chinese food. Gatlin's has the most acceptable BBQ if you absolutely must. I agree with most of the suggestions the guy above me made (though I would say Darband has way better middle Eastern food, Fadi's is fine).

Trust me, as someone who has been wanting to move out of Houston for the last few years, the quality of the food has been one of the few things keeping me going. I should weigh 400 pounds.
You must be a fan of KC and NC BBQ there are great places here you have to look around for them

Houston BBQ Restaurants & Catering

Best BBQ Houston, Houston BBQ Catering - BBQ Restaurant Houston - Best BBQ Texas - Gatlin's BBQ

Old 10-25-2012, 02:24 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
My personal favorites -- at the moment
Pizzatola's BBQ (I second Dopo!)
Taco's A Go-Go
Dolce Vita
Nippon Japanese (or Osaka when I'm broke!)
Baby Barnaby's (for breakfast)
Ruggles Green
Les Givral's (on the cheap)
La Guadalupana
Cafe Brasil
Maryz Lebanese Cuisine
Truluck's Happy Hour

Hell, sometimes I just get sloshed at Central Market

[repeat...often]

I can honestly say I am BLESSED to live in Montrose, a neighborhood with great restaurants!

Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,365,566 times
great places north of you in the energy corridor.

seems like we just talked about this a few weeks ago...

//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...including.html

Old 10-25-2012, 06:26 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,293 times
First of all the goods resturants are everywhere. Second of all you have to get out of the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston