Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:08 AM

448 posts, read 703,070 times

Advertisements

The voter revolt against the dangerous and unconstitutional red light cameras continues in Texas. Cleveland, TX just outside of Houston has turned in their petition to demand a vote on the cameras. Accidents in just the first 25 days of having the cameras were more than the entire 18 months before the cameras were installed! Texas Town Fights Back Against Red Light Cameras After being pressured by citizens League City has placed a measure on the ballot to ask if the contract should be continued at expiration. Accidents and violations are up at League City camera locations as well www.LCcamScam.com Houston continues to try to illegally collect on outstanding camera tickets, remember, these tickets are optional www.trashyourticket.com around the country more and more cameras are coming down after citizens tire of the abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 AM

also Texas senator for the past 19 years Jeff Wentworth was defeated in the republican primary by newcomer Donna Campbell. Much of the resistance to Wentworth's continuing to serve was due to his pro camera voting record. Campbell upsets Wentworth for Texas Senate - San Antonio Express-News

Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,251,497 times
Now if Woodlands and Conroe would just follow suit. People are so paranoid about the cameras that they forget to pay attention to the traffic!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 AM

286 posts, read 739,951 times
Saw a guy run a red light deliberately at Washington & Studemont yesterday, driving right down the center of the road. He had no intention of stopping. Wished there had been someone (a camera, maybe!) to catch that. Super dangerous driving.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,370,896 times
not this crap again...

Old 08-02-2012, 11:03 AM

Todd, the woodlands was actually forced to shut off several of their cameras and issue total refunds to drivers who were illegally ticketed after someone fought their ticket and it turned out they broke the law. http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=8749154

I have heard someone in Conroe starting a petition but I don't know how it is going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
Now if Woodlands and Conroe would just follow suit. People are so paranoid about the cameras that they forget to pay attention to the traffic!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 PM

286 posts, read 739,951 times
I don't also understand the opposition to red light cameras and this is speaking as someone who has actually gotten (and paid!) the ticket from one of those cameras. I got caught at Greens Rd and I-45 and believe you me, I never ran that light again (or any light for that matter). If you don't run a red light, then you won't get a ticket. And I see lots of people running red lights all the time in Houston, not just people who were going too fast to stop, but people doing it intentionally. It's dangerous to everyone when this happens but if a cop isn't right there, no one is going to stop them from doing it over and over again. After what I saw yesterday, I would love to see the cameras back and the guy who was driving so dangerously to either pay for the mistake or be pulled off the road.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:33 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,623,132 times
I've heard that red light cameras can cause more accidents than they prevent, since people sometimes slam on their brakes as soon as they see the yellow whereas before they would safely get through the intersection before it turns red. Then they get rear-ended because the person behind them was following a bit too close or couldn't react fast enough.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:36 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,747,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post
I don't also understand the opposition to red light cameras and this is speaking as someone who has actually gotten (and paid!) the ticket from one of those cameras. I got caught at Greens Rd and I-45 and believe you me, I never ran that light again (or any light for that matter). If you don't run a red light, then you won't get a ticket. And I see lots of people running red lights all the time in Houston, not just people who were going too fast to stop, but people doing it intentionally. It's dangerous to everyone when this happens but if a cop isn't right there, no one is going to stop them from doing it over and over again. After what I saw yesterday, I would love to see the cameras back and the guy who was driving so dangerously to either pay for the mistake or be pulled off the road.
Some people do run red lights intentionally but red light cameras have been shown to increase accidents because sometimes it is safer to go through then slam on your brakes and cause a rear end. I would rather have the occasional idiot run a light with no repercussions then be at a higher risk of collision. Not to mention having to be paranoid all the time that I'm going to get a ticket because I accidentally stopped 6 inches over the line or didn't stop for long enough at the line because they will ticket you in both cases. I mean if we really want to be safe why not have a video and data recorder in every car that feeds your driving to the police in real time and they can just email you the tickets as your violations occur.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:44 PM

988 posts, read 1,204,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post
You will fit in nicely in the future orwellian police state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston