Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 PM

187 posts, read 714,389 times

Advertisements

We currently have U-Verse. An Xfinity rep just came to our door and gave his spiel. I was just getting ready to axe part of our Uverse service (cut HBO, maybe ditch landline), so this may be a good option. We had Comcast before AT&T but that was before they upgraded their technology. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here so I wanted to get some feedback on Xfinity vs U-Verse as a service (technology, accessibility, support, etc).

U-Verse set-up
UVerse 200 - $72
HBO/Cinemax - $26
HD fee - $10
Receiver fee - $7 (for 1 HD receiver)
Cable fees - $10
Internet Max (incl fees) - $50
Landline (incl fees) $43

Total for U-Verse: $218/mo*

* I could drop that down to about $145 by cutting HBO, landline.

XFinity's offer:
HD Triple Play (includes HBO, Showtime/Max, sports package)
2 HD receivers
"Blast" Internet (25-30Mbps download speed)
Free landline
No activation/install fee

Total: $130/mo

Looks good on paper. XFinity also touts all its streaming and on-demand free stuff, etc. I don't use that stuff right now but DH just discovered on-demand options so I'm not sure how they compare.

One catch: 2-yr service agreement. (there is a 30-day "trial period before locking in)

I hate being locked into a contract.

So....Deal or no deal??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 03:52 PM

366 posts, read 797,148 times
I moved into a new house a few weeks ago and went with XFinity. The main reason was because of the faster internet. I also thought that existing cable outlets would give me basic cable TV WITHOUT a cable box. Didn't realize it didn't (it did back in the day), so that meant I would need an extra receiver for each TV I wanted active. I wanted 5 active. Therefore, I cancelled and went with Uverse since they have wireless receivers. So, I got U200 and 2 wired and 2 non-wired receivers. For my 5th tv, I can use the wireless one when I want cable in that room. I'd say I'm happy with Uverse, but I liked Xfinity's internet speed better.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,820,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidfrogg View Post
We currently have U-Verse. An Xfinity rep just came to our door and gave his spiel. I was just getting ready to axe part of our Uverse service (cut HBO, maybe ditch landline), so this may be a good option. We had Comcast before AT&T but that was before they upgraded their technology. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here so I wanted to get some feedback on Xfinity vs U-Verse as a service (technology, accessibility, support, etc).

U-Verse set-up
UVerse 200 - $72
HBO/Cinemax - $26
HD fee - $10
Receiver fee - $7 (for 1 HD receiver)
Cable fees - $10
Internet Max (incl fees) - $50
Landline (incl fees) $43

Total for U-Verse: $218/mo*

* I could drop that down to about $145 by cutting HBO, landline.

XFinity's offer:
HD Triple Play (includes HBO, Showtime/Max, sports package)
2 HD receivers
"Blast" Internet (25-30Mbps download speed)
Free landline
No activation/install fee

Total: $130/mo

Looks good on paper. XFinity also touts all its streaming and on-demand free stuff, etc. I don't use that stuff right now but DH just discovered on-demand options so I'm not sure how they compare.

One catch: 2-yr service agreement. (there is a 30-day "trial period before locking in)

I hate being locked into a contract.

So....Deal or no deal??

The $130 per month has to be for a limited time. I have Xfinity with all you listed, my bill with all the fees and other bs charges is about $220 per month.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Yeah, they always advertise a discounted rate to new customers - 6 mo. or 12 mo. - then jack it up later. It's one of those industries that treats new customers like royalty and long-time customers like crapola. Also, does Xfinity include the wireless router for internet?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
I have to call xfinity from time to time and threaten to leave. My bill went from 120 to 140 to 180 in the span of a year. Time to tell them i am considering uverse.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 AM

342 posts, read 803,077 times
Stay away from Dish Network. Problems with them installing satellite (3x they came out), we have a lot of trees and was told to cancel by the last DN installer. The problem stems from returning the items back for a fee of $17 and the biggest one was they try to pin me on the 2 year contract on us. If they can't install it, why is there a problem on the contract when it isn't fulfilled at their end. A total of 45 (30 from holding) minutes wasted just to cancel, I believe it won't end there. Luckily, I didn't cancel my other satellite provider and they aren't much better with 20% higher bills with same programming. Freak it, I have Direct TV.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,441 times
We ditched our cable a few years ago and haven't looked back. Have an AppleTV with Netflix and between that and the stuff available online (abc.com , nbc.com, hulu, etc) we don't miss anything.

Over the course of that two year contract, we'd save about $3,000.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 20,144 times
Probably to old to matter, but Divertodd the uverse wireless router is garbage. It's at least one generation behind current technology and slow wifi. They won't talk to you about slow wifi, only wired speeds.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 AM

536 posts, read 1,062,624 times
The problem with xfinity and the main reason we left them is that if you have more than one receiver they are not centralized and don't speak to each other. This means you can only watch recordings on the room you record them in. For us, this was a deal breaker. We watch tv in 3 different rooms depending on our mood and having to record all our programs in multiple rooms just in case we wanted to watch it in there was just too much hassle.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:36 PM

105 posts, read 144,129 times
I had both when I was in TX- Comcast had a huge leg-up on the On-Demand front, but overall I liked U-Verse the best. I was concerned with the slower internet speed as well, as I stream Netflix constantly, but I truly never had any issues. Plus, the wireless receivers were great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: