Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,332,323 times

Advertisements

I bought mine was I was 21 about halfway through the real estate boom. Whether or not you need to buy a place is an open question, but it's definitely time to move out from mom's house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 08:00 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,964,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by databasegeek View Post
I'm a single (no wife/gf and no kids) 31 year old slightly below average guy. 5' 5" 150lbs, max bench press only 185lbs, average car 2011 Honda Fit Sport Automatic, two level 90 World of Warcaft characters, masters degree comp sci from Stanford, annual compensation only $136k, living with mom ever since I moved back from college.
When you apply for your mortgage, make sure you include your 2 level 90 WoW characters in the application. You might want to list any professions you have maxed as well as your raid gear. Maybe list some guildees as references. That will illustrate your diligence, reliability and goal setting

In all seriousness, I got into the process of buying my first house when I was 27. Right in the middle of that the real estate bust occurred and I lost all interest in home ownership. I think along with the bursting of the real estate bubble, there was also a popping of the home ownership myth in general. While it's certainly better to build up equity than to pay rent, a house is not truly an "investment" in terms of it being a moneymaker in the long-run. If you stay in it long enough to get it paid off, it is definitely a money saver.

The other issue people need to ask themselves is how long they will be in it. I work in a profession that requires frequent moves. After a lot of thought, it really doesn't make a lot of sense for me to buy. If I thought I would be in the same area for 10, 20 or 30 years, it would be a no-brainer. But with the economy being what it is and the lack of long-term job security now, I don't know that I could ever feel confident that I wouldn't have to move in any profession outside of a few. The other question is how well a neighborhood is going to age - Sharpstown used to be a great place at one point.

I know my opinions go well against the traditional wisdom as far as housing goes, but I think a lot of younger people will have an entirely different view of home ownership as a result of the last few years than did earlier generations.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 PM

958 posts, read 2,577,448 times
I bought my first place when I was 24 years old and 6 months out of college. I gave myself 6 months to move out and did not want to stay at home. (Not because I didn't get along with my parents, but it was the opposite it was too "easy" to live at home)

At that time I was seriously dating my future wife. Since sold it and upgraded.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,480,010 times
I was 21 and married. We bought a brand-new, all-brick house in a new Denver suburb for $10,500 -- and the builder threw in our choice of a new washer/dryer or a new color TV.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 AM

410 posts, read 1,497,128 times
I'm not sure what your personal profile has to do with you buying a house. Everything sounds great I guess if a woman cares about all of that EXCEPT the whole living at home thing unless you are taking care of your mother because of some type of illness or hard time but anyway.....

I was 31 with no children. Its a starter home, a townhouse in a decent neighborhood.

If you plan on staying in Houston for a number of years you might as well buy if not move into an apartment. Just whatever you do move out!!! I'm mad at your mama for letting you stay home that long!!!!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:49 AM

833 posts, read 1,891,258 times
Ok I guess it is just me, but the OP makes a very good salary of $136k and still lives with mom. OP unless your mom needs you there supporting her and paying her bills you need to move out on your own immediately and I really hope you have no debt and tons of money saved up already pulling in that kind of coin.

At least go rent something, buy when you are ready to settle down.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,591,795 times
23 for my first one, on a 45K salary. = 1,300 sqft
26 for my second one, married, kid on the way. = 3,200 sqft
We plan to buy our dream home by the age of 35. = 4,500 sqft

OP if you are making 6 figures, you should have no issue buying a house. I've bought two and dont make over 100K.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 AM

108 posts, read 199,714 times
I also think age is not a determining factor. Some people move out and never return home at 17. Some people move out well past their 30s.

If your mom is fine off alone, then go for it since money doesn't seem to be the issue. With your salary, you would (or should) do just fine with a mortgage for a $200-250k home.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 AM

362 posts, read 560,846 times
Ummm..... just curious. How many years have you been living at home with that salary and driving a Honda Fit?

I'm thinking you could buy a house and pay cash for it, with all the money you've probably got socked away.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 AM

366 posts, read 798,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by databasegeek View Post
I'm just curious what everyone's age was when y'all bought your first home.

I'm a single (no wife/gf and no kids) 31 year old slightly below average guy. 5' 5" 150lbs, max bench press only 185lbs, average car 2011 Honda Fit Sport Automatic, two level 90 World of Warcaft characters, masters degree comp sci from Stanford, annual compensation only $136k, living with mom ever since I moved back from college.

Maybe its time I move out and buy a house also known as (by my coworkers) a bachelor's pad.
26 at the time, was also a database geek, about 5'10 170 at the time, maxed about 285.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: