Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:04 AM

76 posts, read 236,794 times

Advertisements

So for years the gov't has said fluoride in our waters was safe and it was put in to lessen tooth decay. Many thought that govt shouldn't decide, and that we should have a choice if we want it in our water or not. Also there was the argument that it was bad and could cause neurological problems in developing brains, and cause issues to the fetus. There was always 2 sides to the argument, but gov't studies showed it was safe, and that was that. We were forced to have it in our water.

There still need to be further tests, but as stated, why keep it in our water. Dr's even recommend that pregnant women not use fluoridated water. Well, most bottled waters have fluoride, I can only think of Fiji Water that doesn't have it, but there may be a few others

There are many countries ,and also a few cities in the US that have banned the use of fluoride in their water. Why not Houston? Thoughts? Concerns?

Last edited by elnina; 01-06-2013 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Title changed - OP request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 03:13 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,347 times
Question Which cities do NOT have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitosabe View Post
So for years the gov't has said fluoride in our waters was safe and it was put in to lessen tooth decay. Many thought that govt shouldn't decide, and that we should have a choice if we want it in our water or not. Also there was the argument that it was bad and could cause neurological problems in developing brains, and cause issues to the fetus. There was always 2 sides to the argument, but gov't studies showed it was safe, and that was that. We were forced to have it in our water.

There still need to be further tests, but as stated, why keep it in our water. Dr's even recommend that pregnant women not use fluoridated water. Well, most bottled waters have fluoride, I can only think of Fiji Water that doesn't have it, but there may be a few others

There are many countries ,and also a few cities in the US that have banned the use of fluoride in their water. Why not Houston? Thoughts? Concerns?

I do not like fluoride at all. But, if there was any truth to its benefits, why should we have to drink it? Why not just have it in certain toothpastes or a mouthwash..... If you choose to use it, you buy the toothpaste with it....
Why are we forced to drink it?

Do you know which cites & states do NOT have it in their water?

Thank you in advance.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Whenever you say a new study says something, you're supposed to link to the study.

This looks more like a dr. strangelove scene.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:37 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I think here is a list of communities that voted against it:
Fluoride Action Network | Communities Which Have Rejected Fluoridation Since 1990

BTW: In Texas:
Texas city puts an end to water fluoridation
Austin, TX: America’s Largest Water Fluoridation Fight
Austin, TX: America

Houston is working on it:
Fluoride-Free Houston | Working to stop fluoridation of Houston's water
You can join and support:
https://www.facebook.com/FluorideFreeHouston
Fluoride Free Houston! Let’s make our drinking water safe! | Real Food Houston

... but: Houston Mayor ‘Not Ready to Rethink Fluoride’
» Houston Mayor ‘Not Ready to Rethink Fluoride’ Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
I do not like fluoride at all. But, if there was any truth to its benefits, why should we have to drink it? Why not just have it in certain toothpastes or a mouthwash..... If you choose to use it, you buy the toothpaste with it....
Why are we forced to drink it?

Do you know which cites & states do NOT have it in their water?

Thank you in advance.
was just about to post, but elnina did below..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Whenever you say a new study says something, you're supposed to link to the study.

This looks more like a dr. strangelove scene.
true, but even if there was no study, why should it even be in our water in the first place. Why should gov't deem what's mandated to go into my body or not?

was just about to post the FAN link...thank you, and thanks for the other info... I don't have facebook, but I'll definitely look into supporting this in other ways.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:21 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:

http://iaomt.guiadmin.com/wp-content...l-neurotox.pdf

The studies were done in areas in China with naturally high levels of fluoride in the water. It has nothing to do with fluoridation of community water supplies as done in the US.

I can find no siurce for your claim that doctors tell pregnant women not to drink fluoridated water. Do you have ne?

Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
http://iaomt.guiadmin.com/wp-content...l-neurotox.pdf

The studies were done in areas in China with naturally high levels of fluoride in the water. It has nothing to do with fluoridation of community water supplies as done in the US.

I can find no siurce for your claim that doctors tell pregnant women not to drink fluoridated water. Do you have ne?
So they backtracked their info. Now its China. lol... OK... Kind of like the studies that backtracked aspartame as being safe, until Rumsfield hired his buddy as FDA head, to make sure it got passed. And how high were those levels for the studies done in China, were they higher or lower than the levels allowed in the US which is 4mg/L ?

I'll have to find the source where I saw or read that. But it makes sense that if its a toxic chemical, even at miniscule doses, and it doesn't normally purge from our bodies, and collects, then I would think logically, it wouldn't be good for a fetus.

for now:
Study Links Fluoride to Preterm Birth and Anemia in Pregnancy

I'm sure you could find articles claiming its perfectly safe, and articles claiming its not safe... I would tend to think something toxic would not be safe since your eating foods, vegetables, soda's, juices, water, etc etc with this poison that accumulates in our body. So if it was just water, then MAYBE I see a valid argument. But its not just the water we drink that we're getting the fluoride from.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
So they backtracked their info. Now its China. lol... OK... Kind of like the studies that backtracked aspartame as being safe, until Rumsfield hired his buddy as FDA head, to make sure it got passed. And how high were those levels for the studies done in China, were they higher or lower than the levels allowed in the US which is 4mg/L ?

I'll have to find the source where I saw or read that. But it makes sense that if its a toxic chemical, even at miniscule doses, and it doesn't normally purge from our bodies, and collects, then I would think logically, it wouldn't be good for a fetus.

for now:
Study Links Fluoride to Preterm Birth and Anemia in Pregnancy

I'm sure you could find articles claiming its perfectly safe, and articles claiming its not safe... I would tend to think something toxic would not be safe since your eating foods, vegetables, soda's, juices, water, etc etc with this poison that accumulates in our body. So if it was just water, then MAYBE I see a valid argument. But its not just the water we drink that we're getting the fluoride from.

The link in my post is to the full article. The levels were more like 11 mg/L.

Do you have a link to the pregnancy study --- not just Mercola?

Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The link in my post is to the full article. The levels were more like 11 mg/L.

Do you have a link to the pregnancy study --- not just Mercola?
http://www.fluoridealert.org/uploads/yu-1996.pdf

http://www.fluoridealert.org/studies/brain05/

Last edited by papitosabe; 12-29-2012 at 10:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston