Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,734 times

Advertisements

Heights, oak forest/garden oaks area I'd recommend if you're commuting to UH main. Otherwise your commute will be horrendous. It's somewhat suburban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 02:00 PM

37 posts, read 63,230 times
Anyone looking to move to North Houston area. Try Cypress Texas. If you are going to University of Houston it is about 50 minute drive though. There are other alternatives as mentioned above. If you are just moving to Houston and looking for a nice growing city. Cypress would be a good choice. Lots of shopping. Great people. Lots of restaurants and you'll many good schools. The Housing market is great also. Keep in mind though, the better the school the higher the property values if you are buying and also the rents are higher also. You will definitely get a better quality of living there. Hope I've helped!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 AM

22 posts, read 43,170 times
Spring, Tomball, or even Jersey Village are all good places

Old 01-03-2013, 05:13 AM

342 posts, read 803,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne S Sullivan View Post
Anyone looking to move to North Houston area. Try Cypress Texas. If you are going to University of Houston it is about 50 minute drive though.
I recommend The Woodlands, if you want a safe place to live. I can make it to UH in 30-35 minutes driving the speed limit, I commute around 5am on weekdays. Commuting to UH is going to get a lot better than when I was a student. I drove on the HOV for a toll rate of $1 from 1pm-3pm going north which is a lot better than option than taking the Hardy Toll road. If they expand the HOV all the way to The Woodlands, your bf can get on the HOV from the Kuykendahl Park and Ride to go up north. And the Hardy Toll road is going to get expanded all the way to downtown in a year, or two which makes commuting to UH even smoother. Parking at UH is horrendous at the start of each semester, it gets better as the semester progresses. Most of The Woodlands crime are center around the mall area, or very dense area. Recently the area has been cracking down on bartenders who makes too many drinks. DWI is a problem there, but the county and its clubs are getting help with bus shuttles. Overall, it is a good area to live and study.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:04 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
I recommend The Woodlands, if you want a safe place to live. I can make it to UH in 30-35 minutes driving the speed limit, I commute around 5am on weekdays. Commuting to UH is going to get a lot better than when I was a student. I drove on the HOV for a toll rate of $1 from 1pm-3pm going north which is a lot better than option than taking the Hardy Toll road. If they expand the HOV all the way to The Woodlands, your bf can get on the HOV from the Kuykendahl Park and Ride to go up north. And the Hardy Toll road is going to get expanded all the way to downtown in a year, or two which makes commuting to UH even smoother. Parking at UH is horrendous at the start of each semester, it gets better as the semester progresses. Most of The Woodlands crime are center around the mall area, or very dense area. Recently the area has been cracking down on bartenders who makes too many drinks. DWI is a problem there, but the county and its clubs are getting help with bus shuttles. Overall, it is a good area to live and study.
30-35 min is a perfect commute. Any hiccups (of which Houston has many) transforms that commute into an hour + easily.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 AM

23 posts, read 45,800 times
Another vote for the Heights/Garden Oaks/Oak Forest area. I believe I pass the FMC building on my way to and work coming from the Heights, and that really would be less than a 30 minute commute which is excellent for Houston. It also puts you not too far from UofH. It's not exactly suburban, but I always describe it as living in a small neighborhood in the middle of a big city.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,967,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papitosabe View Post
have you been to the Woodlands? everyone I know likes the area... it may be not crowded as a place near the city, but its its dead or stagnant like most other parts of town...
Everyone I know won't set foot in The Woodlands. It is nothing but a bunch of chains centered around a big, suburban mall.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Everyone I know won't set foot in The Woodlands. It is nothing but a bunch of chains centered around a big, suburban mall.
Hmmmm. Certainly the mall is a big part of the Woodlands, but... look at the beautiful natural environment. Not a very diverse population shown in this video though.

The Woodlands® Story - Regular Version - YouTube

Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,967,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Hmmmm. Certainly the mall is a big part of the Woodlands, but... look at the beautiful natural environment. Not a very diverse population shown in this video though.

The Woodlands® Story - Regular Version - YouTube
While certainly not "beautiful", it is more attractive than most parts of Houston. I will give it that.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:03 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Your close minded attitude is really annoying. And I would hate to meet your friends. I mean seriously, who lives their life with that kind of attitude? And chains? Dude, a large majority of the restaurants in Town Center are not chains. I'm sorry it's not good enough for you. Another typical American who is never satisfied. So I guess the pavilion sucks, the 70 miles of wooded hike and bike trails, the parks, greenery, the lakes, the outdoor jazz concerts in the middle of the town center, the free music in the various park areas, all of that sucks. No good enough for David Dollar. Thank God most people down here don't think like you or I never would have moved down here. People like you annoy the hell out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston