Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,480 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'll be moving to the Houston Area from Atlanta for a new job in Sugar Land. I am looking for a 1-2 Bedroom, 1-2 Bathroom apartment that will cost me <$1000/month for rent. Most of the apartment complexes that I have found to be suitable seem to be in Stafford. I was wondering if there are any other suggested areas to take a look at. It seems to be a general consensus that Sugar Land is a good area to live in, but I have been looking in to areas closer to Houston just for convenience of getting around since I am just graduating college and I anticipate driving around and exploring the area a bit.

Thank you
-donsun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 AM

98 posts, read 205,193 times
Stafford will be your best bet for a place to look for under $1000. I stayed in The Retreat and its close to Sugarland and it's close to Houston. PM me if you have any questions about places in particular.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 PM

13 posts, read 17,056 times
Have you looked at all your options yet, you may have the ability to buy a home also with your mortgage being less than $1000. It's just a suggestion to a better investment. Sometimes apartments are better than having a mortgage, but usually that isn't always the case. I'm a home counselor for a local builder here in Houston, I work with people that are looking for a home and are dead set on it. Bad credit or no down payment is not an issue as I generally work with people up to 6 months.

I am new to this forum, but I look forward to talking more.

Thanks for reading
- wtrombly

Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,669 times
Which builder?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
I'd stay away from Stafford personally. If you will be working in Sugar Land, don't discount the possibility of the apartments to the west of there.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,480 times
I am currently not looking at home buying due to the fact that I'll be moving around once a year.

@War Beagle: which neighborhoods do you recommend? I drove past the First Colony area as well while I was there and it seemed pretty nice to me as well.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:00 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
You'll definitely be able to find a 1BR apartment in or around SL for $1000 or less. 2BR might be a little bit trickier and you might not be able to afford the nicer complexes if you stick to that range strictly. I said I would avoid Stafford because each year it seems to become more like SW Houston, and that generally is not considered to be a good thing. Stafford is actually a really weird little town. It has a relatively small population. Most of the city is light industrial. It also has the only municipal school district in the state. The city loves to talk about how they have no city property taxes but they actually get you just as much as other cities through a variety of other governmental agencies like water districts and MUDs.

Sugar Land itself is going to be nice overall. There are some neighborhoods in SL that are starting to deteriorate a little bit, but with how good SLPD is you wouldn't need to worry about crime even in those. One thing you should keep in mind is that there are relatively few apartment complexes inside the city limits of Sugar Land. This is because the City Council is EXTREMELY anti-multifamily housing. There are complexes in SL, but probably not as many as you would expect. There are a whole bunch of them to the north around Hwy 6 and Voss, but that is because that is not inside the city limits. You wouldn't receive city services, including police (you'd be serviced by the county sheriff), though that might not matter (I've known people that lived in that area and they liked it a lot).

There are some complexes that might fit your needs going out west on 59 towards River Park, some more around Williams Trace and then more at Brazos Town Center in Rosenberg. There are two brand new complexes going in near the Kroger and two older (but still relatively newer ones in the northern phase of Brazos Town Center.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,597,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Which builder?
Sorry it seems i posted on the wrong post.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM

82 posts, read 255,866 times
There are a few apartments on Lexington around Highway 6/ 59 intersection in Sugarland limits. Area is great with the Town Center and First Colony Mall across the road.

In Stafford you can probably get a 2BR for around 1100 in the apartments off Dulles Ave and Brand Lane. Its a decent area and the apartments are relatively newer.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM

286 posts, read 555,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

Sugar Land itself is going to be nice overall. There are some neighborhoods in SL that are starting to deteriorate a little bit, but with how good SLPD is you wouldn't need to worry about crime even in those. One thing you should keep in mind is that there are relatively few apartment complexes inside the city limits of Sugar Land. This is because the City Council is EXTREMELY anti-multifamily housing. There are complexes in SL, but probably not as many as you would expect. There are a whole bunch of them to the north around Hwy 6 and Voss, but that is because that is not inside the city limits. You wouldn't receive city services, including police (you'd be serviced by the county sheriff), though that might not matter (I've known people that lived in that area and they liked it a lot).

There are some complexes that might fit your needs going out west on 59 towards River Park, some more around Williams Trace and then more at Brazos Town Center in Rosenberg. There are two brand new complexes going in near the Kroger and two older (but still relatively newer ones in the northern phase of Brazos Town Center.
Sugar Land has older apartments but they don't really do apartments anymore. However there will be new apartments in Telfair, Imperial Park and Riverstone (annex later). Currently the newest Sugar Land apartment I'm aware of is Regency at First Colony and that's hardly all that new.

http://www.fortbendstar.com/2012/10/...before-voters/

There are no apartments in Riverpark (Sugar Land) but there are two in River Park West (Rosenburg).

Stafford has tons of apartments that share a border along Sugar Land. $1000/mo should get a nice 1bdr most anywhere in most Houston budget like that is well above apartment averages.

Last edited by JaqueCosto; 01-09-2013 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston