Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM

36 posts, read 70,780 times

Advertisements

Interested in solid, moderately safe (because this IS big city after all) working-class neighborhoods in Houston. Many of us have discussed the ripple effect of economic isolation on the real estate market in Houston. It sometimes feels like there are no reasonably priced, safe neighborhoods here but I know that can't be true. I recently stumbled upon some interesting suggestions, such as Robindell and Sagemont. I think that there is bit of neighborhood snobbery about some places that are clean and OK to live in, and that may have unfair reputations about crime. Any thoughts? Please elaborate if you think a place is not safe as to why you believe that. On some areas, I read people who say they think an area is unsafe and yet I can find no statistics that support their ideas.

On a side note - my maid mentioned the other day that she thought that Westbury was unsafe and was surprised to learn that I had lived there as a single college grad, had no problems and I fit in there fine. She also was surprised because she thought it was a mainly black neighborhood whereas I found it to be rather homogenous with whites.

That brings up another thing- I don't think that a neighborhood is unsafe just because it is a mixed race community so if you are uncomfortable with an area because it is multi cultural, please state that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,598,199 times
Your maid is thinking of Fondren Southwest which borders Westbury on the west side the heart is West Bellfort & Fondren. Westbury is a really nice area Westbury Maplewood & Willowbend are the best value neighborhoods in Houston

Old 12-28-2012, 12:36 AM

766 posts, read 1,257,001 times
Maplewpod is hardly working class. The homes there start in the 200.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,229,231 times
Hiram Clarke...in between West Orem and Allum....nice area despite what's around...or off Tidewater and Post Oak (the older area, not the new one)

Old 12-28-2012, 05:56 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,818,734 times
Gotta put my vote in for Robindell. Working class, active civic club, neighbors that talk to each other and wave as you pass by, some real mid century modest gems, neighborhood pool, mature trees, 6 minutes to the 610 loop. Lots of original owners and many young folks moving in.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,499,674 times
Define "working class" neighborhood?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 PM

36 posts, read 70,780 times
Good point Houstonfan. What I'm referring to is really a safe lower income neighborhood. I'm talking for people making a household income of 50k roughtly.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,061,944 times
pockets of neighborhoods in pasadena, deer park, baytown, and south houston, robindell (SW Houston), some pockets around Hobby airport and sharpstown

westbury definitely isn't lower income and maplewood starts closer to 300,000 than 200,000

Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,499,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston lover View Post
Good point Houstonfan. What I'm referring to is really a safe lower income neighborhood. I'm talking for people making a household income of 50k roughtly.
Depends on if you want urban/suburban, new or old house, how big, etc.
50k household, imho, means you shouldn't be buying more than $120k house at the most. If you want safe and close to the city, there aren't many choices unless you are ok with older smaller house or townhomes, and not highly rated school district. This doesn't mean the schools are necessarily bad, but people usu put so much emphasis on 'ratings' and that drives prices up or down.
If you are ok with living further out, there are lots of good and even excellent choices. As previous poster said, houston has many pockets of good and bad mixed in amongst each other, can't even generalize them by subdivsions. You should work with a good realtor to help you sort it out.
I would add, to above recommened neighborhoods, that there some nice areas in spring branch school district that are safe and nice and still barely in that price range.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,529,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Depends on if you want urban/suburban, new or old house, how big, etc.
50k household, imho, means you shouldn't be buying more than $120k house at the most. If you want safe and close to the city, there aren't many choices unless you are ok with older smaller house or townhomes, and not highly rated school district. This doesn't mean the schools are necessarily bad, but people usu put so much emphasis on 'ratings' and that drives prices up or down.
If you are ok with living further out, there are lots of good and even excellent choices. As previous poster said, houston has many pockets of good and bad mixed in amongst each other, can't even generalize them by subdivsions. You should work with a good realtor to help you sort it out.
I would add, to above recommened neighborhoods, that there some nice areas in spring branch school district that are safe and nice and still barely in that price range.
This. Binglewood and Kempwood, along with several other neighborhoods in 77080, are going to see some good appreciation over the next decade. Schools will improve with that, and currently you can select other schools within sbisd to attend..with the exclusion of MMS and MHS

Springwood Forest used to be my favorite in that area for the working class range, but now those have almost doubled in value. Shadow wood went completely nuts. 10 years ago you could get one of those huge lots with a nice ranch house or under 200 k. Now they are near a million.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 12-31-2012 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston