Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:27 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,521,850 times

Advertisements

I had Belsome install the same system for me a few years ago. He did a good job installing it and the reverse osmosis system under the sink. Very happy with the price and service. Good service after the sale, too. A while back my unit stopped metering and he came out the next day and replaced the metering sensor and didn't charge me anything.

I probably go through a bag of salt every 1 1/2 months. But it's just my wife and I and our 1-year old, so we don't use a whole lot of water. I'm not even sure I need the softener now though, since our MUD recently switched from ground water to surface water. My understanding is surface water isn't as hard. I guess if this unit ever fails or when it's time to replace the system (resin is good for ~10 years) I'll test the water hardness to see if I still need one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 AM

764 posts, read 1,421,417 times
I've bookmarked Belsome's website and I hope to be able to replace my broken Culligan system this spring. Would anyone who has had Belsom install their system DM'ing me what you paid?

Culligan wanted to charge me $7500 to "fix" (more like replace) their stupid system (and this was only after I agreed to a pre-paid $150 service charge where they didn't even look at the water softener, let alone tell me what was wrong with it). This special price was good for that evening only, and only if I signed up right away, without even calling my husband first. Yeah, I have absolutely NOTHING good to say about them, their high-pressure sales tactics, or their products.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 AM

702 posts, read 1,236,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
I've bookmarked Belsome's website and I hope to be able to replace my broken Culligan system this spring. Would anyone who has had Belsom install their system DM'ing me what you paid?

Culligan wanted to charge me $7500 to "fix" (more like replace) their stupid system (and this was only after I agreed to a pre-paid $150 service charge where they didn't even look at the water softener, let alone tell me what was wrong with it). This special price was good for that evening only, and only if I signed up right away, without even calling my husband first. Yeah, I have absolutely NOTHING good to say about them, their high-pressure sales tactics, or their products.
I'm sorry to hear this. $7,500 is highway robbery. You could get a Kinetico for $3-$5k instead. I didn't want to spend that much and went with Fleck.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 AM

339 posts, read 764,592 times
Huma, thanks for the info. Couple of questions

1. Did you just install the water softener by itself or did you get a filtration unit or RO unit as well?
2. Did you buy the unit from Belsome or did you just use them to do the installation?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 AM

702 posts, read 1,236,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulio82 View Post
Huma, thanks for the info. Couple of questions

1. Did you just install the water softener by itself or did you get a filtration unit or RO unit as well?
2. Did you buy the unit from Belsome or did you just use them to do the installation?
1. Belsome did the installation. I did not have a RO installed because my home already came with one.

2. I purchased the unit from Belsome and he did the install. When you purchase/install from him, he offers a 5 year parts/labor warranty.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 10,031 times
Have anyone dealt with Infinity Water? What are your opinion of them? They are the ones that provided the initial filters for RO in my new house. I think they are the dealers for GE avantapure systems. The guy who came to install filters tried to sell the softener as well. He quoted $2000. I was not sure at the time. On their website, they claim to be the preferred supplier for David Weekly, schumacher, jeff paul and Onyx homes (mine is a onyx/scot thomas home in Aliana).

Also I have few questions about the water softener:
  1. What is the size and how much space does the water softener takes? Looking at the photo Huma provided, it looks like it is very thin cylinder. Can I still park my car in the garage if it is installed in the garage (I really don't want to park my car outside)?
  2. Do I need to get the filters for the RO system from the same dealer or other dealer should have the filters as well?
  3. What other places can the water softener be installed?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:13 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,791,723 times
Rip OFF artists. I had the RO system installed by them during the house build, basically came with the house. After a year they replaced the 2 filters and charged my wife $149. I wasn't home to question the work nor the price. Looking at the invoice they charged $100 for 2 x $5 filter and $49 for 5 minutes worth of labor. I am now doing it myself with original filters from Amazon. The RO system is made by Watts by the way

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This guy review is funny :-)

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3J2VCJ...28013&store=hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedGuy View Post
Have anyone dealt with Infinity Water? What are your opinion of them? They are the ones that provided the initial filters for RO in my new house. I think they are the dealers for GE avantapure systems. The guy who came to install filters tried to sell the softener as well. He quoted $2000. I was not sure at the time. On their website, they claim to be the preferred supplier for David Weekly, schumacher, jeff paul and Onyx homes (mine is a onyx/scot thomas home in Aliana).

1. What is the size and how much space does the water softener takes? Looking at the photo Huma provided, it looks like it is very thin cylinder. Can I still park my car in the garage if it is installed in the garage (I really don't want to park my car outside)?
  2. Do I need to get the filters for the RO system from the same dealer or other dealer should have the filters as well?

Last edited by ethanw; 07-10-2014 at 07:22 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 06:37 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,521,850 times
Quote:
1. Different softeners are going to be different sizes. The cylinder isn't too large but you may have a separate brine tank that needs more space than the cylinder. You'll probably need 2-3 feet from the wall for clearance. Unless your garage has no room at all, I would assume you'd still be able to park in it. Your installer should be able to tell you if there's enough clearance.
2. I buy my filters online from www.purewater4u.com. They have a pretty big selection from different manufacturers. I'd recommend calling them to see if they have filters for your specific model.
3. You need it installed close to the main line coming into your house. Mine is actually installed outside on my A/C pad since I have a rear detached garage that is nowhere near the water main. I've seen people bury them halfway into the ground outside to hide them too. There's always the option to install it outside if you don't have enough room in the garage and it won't be an eyesore.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 PM

413 posts, read 1,179,784 times
Quote:

I bough my GE profile form Infinity (Jerry). I paid around $1800 2 yrs ago and 2K seems right; I also got the RO system with it in that price. Kinetico cost 4K, which is ridiculous.

2 yrs and no problem with the softener.

I did change the filters for the RO and it cost 130 or something I guess. I'm sure if I look up youtube, I could change them myself; I just didn't want to flood the kitchen.

It's a 2 device system, one thin cylinder and one comparatively not so thin salt tank. Hook them up on the side or in the corner so they don't block your car. You need to have the pre-plumbing done to hook up the water softener; you can't hook it up any where you want. PM me if you need more info.

PS: Changing cabin air filter at firestone costs $45.00; changing it yourself taken 2 mins with absolutely no tools and the filter only costs 15 at pepboys. Same with this water filter - if you can change it, it's cheaper, otherwise you pay up.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:51 PM

21 posts, read 34,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
I called around a couple of places and they were charging more than Belsome, so I think his prices are pretty good. I already had the water loop with drain installed in my home, so that made the install a little easier.

Here are the pictures of the Fleck 7000 SXT installed with a 48k grain tank. I think he did a good job and will recommend him to friends or family looking for a water softener system. Side note, my cousin owns this exact same unit for over five years and he told me has zero problems with it. This is a better unit (hardware) than the Home Depot or Lowes from GE or Whirlpool. I read those units only work for two to three years and break down. For the same price, if not a little more, this is definitely a better deal.

Hello Huma281:

Thank you for your helpful post. If you don't mind sharing the approximate cost to have the Fleck 7000 SXT installed with a 48k grain tank by Belsomeh? I will go with them too based on so many positive reviews.

We are building a house in Katy, builder is charging $3,250 to have AquaSystems SmartChoice Gen II installed...did not mention how many grain. I believe the lowest.

Thanks in advance..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston