Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabot View Post
It is finally in the works to do something about that with a completion date of 2015. Why they didn't build the ramp in the first place is beyond me.
2015????
All they have to do is buy the land where the nursery and car dealership are located and pave a road over that.

I bet the day labor guys at Stuebner could finish that project in a couple of weeks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 AM

811 posts, read 1,557,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
2015????
All they have to do is buy the land where the nursery and car dealership are located and pave a road over that.

I bet the day labor guys at Stuebner could finish that project in a couple of weeks
You are right!

Planned Highway 249-Sam Houston Tollway direct connector enters final design stage - Your Houston News: News

Old 02-10-2013, 03:45 PM

126 posts, read 240,570 times

While they are at it, maybe they could make a connector from the Beltway eastbound to the Hardy Toll south. They made a north, but no south!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times

Good grief!?!?! 2015 they've got people moving to Houston like it's the promised job land and now 2015

Traffic is a mess. Lots are going towards 45 but the feeder to get on the Beltway the EZ Tag entrance is a trip. I skip that entrance because it's like 290 meets 610. I'm surprised I never hear or see an accident in those 2 lanes.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 AM

538 posts, read 1,362,321 times
It's about stinking time! FM 249 is like the forgotten highway. Sort of like TC Jester. It starts, stops, starts, stops. Has overpass, no overpasses. Tollway? Sure. Only parts of it though.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I'd like to know who is the genius that came up with this amazing idea (sarcasm)
For the people that don't know, today, you have to drive all the way down to where it says "Tollway" before you can make that turn.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM

23,977 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'd like to know who is the genius that came up with this amazing idea (sarcasm)
For the people that don't know, today, you have to drive all the way down to where it says "Tollway" before you can make that turn.
DH informs me that the engineering students who made C's went to work for the Corps or TxDot. Don't know if that's still true.

Just compare freeways as you drive in other places. Even Texas. In Houston, it's like they let the contract and tell the contractor they have for perpetuity to finish. We moved out of Dallas and back again twice while 45 was being built. Then they came in and did the light rail.

The city through streets in Dallas even tell you 2 blocks ahead of time the name of the cross street at the next light.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
DH informs me that the engineering students who made C's went to work for the Corps or TxDot. Don't know if that's still true.

Just compare freeways as you drive in other places. Even Texas. In Houston, it's like they let the contract and tell the contractor they have for perpetuity to finish. We moved out of Dallas and back again twice while 45 was being built. Then they came in and did the light rail.

The city through streets in Dallas even tell you 2 blocks ahead of time the name of the cross street at the next light.
There are minimum radii engineers are allowed to build to so cars don't have to brake to low speeds (<40mph I believe). And based on that map that is a huge right of way they'll have to acquire to make that happen which is probably why it wasn't built before (that and going east toll plazas are on the exit, going west to 290 they're on the entrances. They'll probably make the curve an eztag only entrance like the exit onto 249 is going east.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM

23,977 posts, read 15,086,618 times
I strongly suspect that ROW was acquired years ago by someone in the know, long before the general public ever heard of Beltway 8. Before county records were on the internet, a group of interested friends spent days going through Harris county records. Wish I could remember who owned that land. Most of the land around Beltway 8 was purchased by the late 70's early 80's. At the time, it was not unheard of for developers to gift land to county officials.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,444,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
249 is hell in the mornings. I swear everyone and their mom is coming from Tomball. This morning accident at Cypresswood. I was like WTF people.

If you're going downtown you'll have issues because they didn't plan for everyone to live out here so the 2 lanes that go around to the Beltway and 45 are no joke It's like 290 bumper to bumper slow. If going in the opposite direction Beltway wise you'll be fine.

You'll be fine in Oakwood Glen. As far as the area it's not highly sought after though. There's some apartments nearby so that's a good reason why. But it's not bad because the whole areas pretty nice...unless you hang out with shady people. Crime is associate based around here.

What would be the more desirable neighborhoods around Spring area?
The Woodlands is way outside of my price range (this is going to be my first house )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston