Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM

55 posts, read 174,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena2c View Post
My best advice if a move here is going to happen for you is check your attitude and your stereotypes.
When my husband told me last May we were very likely moving from California to Houston, a place and state never on our radar for anything more than an airport layover on our way to the Caribbean, I looked at it like an adventure and started doing my research. I found an incredibly large, diverse city with museums, festivals, theater, amazing restaurants, and a huge Rodeo. I found ethnic, political and religious diversity, a Democratic and openly gay Mayor and an almost 50/50 vote split in the 2008 Presidential election.
There are a lot of huge trucks on the freeways, and a lot of hybrids. Talk of God and blessings are more common and casual here, but I take no offense because it is not meant that way.
I was a reusable bag carrying, pro gay marriage, Obama supporting liberal in California...and I am here too with no problems (even in the burbs). I've met people like me and not, but they are all pretty much nice and friendly.
Yes, I miss things from California, but I am also enjoying things here a lot. I didn't find the summer weather that bad and the mellow Winter is nice.
It is what you make it.
Great post. This is exactly what our situation is right now. I'm glad to read about another Californian who made the transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 PM

914 posts, read 1,833,223 times
You will find the housing prices in Houston are much more affordable than in California.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
Rent first before buying if you guys plan on staying here for the long term. Best to get to know the city and find out where you think you would best enjoy your stay here.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 PM

164 posts, read 356,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post
The weather in the summer does scare me-- in CA it's a dry heat and even that I really dislike, where I live now it hits around 90+ from June to even late November. That's a drag too. I see that rainfall is really high in Houston? And what about tornados? Do they happen every year or only around big storms?
It's very hot in Houston during the summer, so brace yourself for the worst. However, a plus to this is that our winters are incredibly mild (no snow, temps rarely dip to freezing) if you aren't from around here. We've had 70-80 degree highs this winter and have enjoyed some beautiful weekends. Trade-off for the bad summers, you know?

We have a hurricane season and hurricanes - although not every year. The last bad hurricane was Ike in 2008. Yes, it rains, and yes, it can flood, but we've been more droughts than not lately.

I think Athena perfectly articulated her experience. Definitely check out the (greater) Heights/Montrose areas if you choose to come out here. Houston is pleasantly diverse, and people are very welcoming to new arrivals (save for some as indicated on this board ). I think what bothers people the most is when people are rude and condescending about the city, but hey, regardless of where you're at, that will never make you any friends.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
I'm a hippie and a literature geek. I can say that at times I feel right at home in Houston. It's too big a city to not have a fair amount of diversity in political perspective. I do however wish there were more of a sense of community here. There is a real priority on personal property and finances that will probably seem alienating. It still does to me, anyway.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM

489 posts, read 621,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I'm a hippie and a literature geek. I can say that at times I feel right at home in Houston. It's too big a city to not have a fair amount of diversity in political perspective. I do however wish there were more of a sense of community here. There is a real priority on personal property and finances that will probably seem alienating. It still does to me, anyway.
That's funny,because I have noticed an amazing sense of community here, vs. Where I lived in So. CA. I felt alienated there, but not at all here. I think it boils down to who you are, and what you are looking for.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM

55 posts, read 174,111 times
To the weird post about Boulder, CO: I know all about d-bags. I do live in LA after all.

Yeah the housing costs are SO much cheaper. We like to rent right now (been moving a lot lately!) so we will get a lay of the land for sure. Rice and Sugarland sound nice-- but I'm so worried about huge bugs (holy crap!) and crazy humid weather. I don't like how materialism is here in CA so that wont be any shock to me, I would however doubt there is no sense of community, I was reading in Sugarland, kids are all out on the streets in those neighborhoods playing together. I can't even get my upstairs neighbor to say more then "Hi" to me when she walks by. It's just weird how unfriendly it can be here, but I'm maybe overly friendly!

Why leave CA? Well, weather isn't everything and it's SUCH a rat race here. I'm sick and tired of apartment living and coin-op laundry and wishing for a house we wont ever afford. Not to mention the layoffs-- this'll be the 3rd layoff for my poor hubs since 2009 and it's getting old. Houston is booming and not in recession. California's job growth is a negative number right now. I seriously don't understand how my family/friends manage to stay afloat!

Can someone here give me a lowdown on the last few summers? We'd be moving right around springtime and need to get ready for it. We had a few 90 degree humid days last summer in LA here and that was unbearable but mostly because the AC we have isn't great. From what I remember of humid (back east weather), a lot of times it'll get so bad that it'll just POUR rain. Is this true of Houston too?

Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post
I know all about d-bags. I do live in LA after all. Yeah the housing costs are SO much cheaper. We like to rent right now (been moving a lot lately!) so we will get a lay of the land for sure. Rice and Sugarland sound nice-- but I'm so worried about huge bugs (holy crap!) and crazy humid weather.

Can someone here give me a lowdown on the last few summers? We'd be moving right around springtime and need to get ready for it. We had a few 90 degree humid days last summer in LA here and that was unbearable but mostly because the AC we have isn't great. From what I remember of humid (back east weather), a lot of times it'll get so bad that it'll just POUR rain. Is this true of Houston too?
It's pretty humid in the summer time. I can handle it and be outside for hours and hours. It doesn't bother me at all unless i'm working and that's any time during summer pretty much anywhere. But I know people who move from other cities esp. outside of Texas have a hard time adjusting to the humid weather esp. in the summer time.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:33 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
The heat doesn't bother me. But the mosquitoes are ravenous.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 AM

342 posts, read 803,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
But the mosquitoes are ravenous.
This is what I hate the most in Houston. I find that most Cali peep that can adapt are the ones with a family that loves their kids a lot more than themselves, or the very mature group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston