Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 AM

848 posts, read 2,127,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
What hang out spots are there on Richmond besides strip clubs? I live down the street from the old "Richmond strip" and most of the places people used to go are closed down, even the Horn is now closed down. You have a few stragglers that are still holding on like Dave and busters and Scott's, but that's about it.
-Mazaj
-Concert Pub
-Sam's Boat
-Deck House
-Uptown Hookah
-Wild West
-Byblos
-Layal
-British Arms Pub
-Cafe Europe (just down Fountainview)
-Stereo Live

Richmond Avenue nowadays is merely Houston's HUGE PATIO DECK option. Many of these places listed have late hours, are cool chillin' hangouts and offer very fine patio decks of all sorts. The 90s' "Richmond Strip" of olde is gone, yes.

But Richmond Avenue is still there with its myriad nocturnal entertainment not of the "strip club" variety, not that there is anything wrong with those. Further down west, there are the quality late night eats such as La Carreta, Al Aseel...late night Colombian, the other ethnic nightlife options...

Last edited by worldlyman; 02-22-2013 at 12:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
-Mazaj
-Concert Pub
-Sam's Boat
-Deck House
-Uptown Hookah
-Wild West
-Byblos
-Layal
-British Arms Pub
-Cafe Europe (just down Fountainview)
-Stereo Live

Richmond Avenue nowadays is merely Houston's HUGE PATIO DECK option. Many of these places listed have late hours, are cool chillin' hangouts and offer very fine patio decks of all sorts. The 90s' "Richmond Strip" of olde is gone, yes.

But Richmond Avenue is still there with its myriad nocturnal entertainment not of the "strip club" variety, not that there is anything wrong with those. Further down west, there are the quality late night eats such as La Carreta, Al Aseel...late night Colombian, the other ethnic nightlife options...
First of all Cafe Europe is off of Westheimer on Fountain View not Richmond, its nowhere close to Richmond. Last time I went into Sams Boat I could count on one hand how many people were in there. Wild Wild West, Stereo Live? Really? LMAO! Like I said anybody from Houston who knows how Richmond strip used to be in the 90's early 2000's compared to now, knows that Richmond is dead.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,557 times
I can see EaDo taking a slice of the pie as well. There's only a handful of places right now, but it's very close to many things and the vibe in the area is definitely changing. Lots of nearby new homes as well.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:44 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
Metropolis is on Richmond. There are some spots.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
First of all Cafe Europe is off of Westheimer on Fountain View not Richmond, its nowhere close to Richmond. Last time I went into Sams Boat I could count on one hand how many people were in there. Wild Wild West, Stereo Live? Really? LMAO! Like I said anybody from Houston who knows how Richmond strip used to be in the 90's early 2000's compared to now, knows that Richmond is dead.

Remember when the Rockets won in'94? Richmond was insane. It was the first place people crowded to.Yeah, it's done dead, 10 times over.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Remember when the Rockets won in'94? Richmond was insane. Itwas the first place people crowded to.Yeah, it's done dead, 10 times over.
Native Houstonians know that.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:01 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,741 times
Cafe Layal and Byblos are not and never were hot nightlife spots...they are places for rich Arabs and for the under 21 crowd to smoke hookah...

Old 02-23-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Cafe Layal and Byblos are not and never were hot nightlife spots...they are places for rich Arabs and for the under 21 crowd to smoke hookah...
Just goes to show the diversity of current Richmond Avenue.

Those are indeed legit hangouts but of course, not "hot nightlife spots", and I don't think that was ever stated (at least not by me).

Neither my wife nor I are "rich Arabs" or "under 21" (we don't do hookah either) yet we have gone to Byblos. Had a nice time, great food...and indeed saw some folks over 21 and non-Arab.

We have gone to the Layal over in Midtown and enjoyed the atmosphere...so I imagine Layal on Richmond is a legit hangout of sorts for other types of folks who probably aren't in your preferred demographic.

Last edited by worldlyman; 02-23-2013 at 01:54 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Believe me, Cafe Europe is quite near Richmond Avenue, and is part of that nightlife region, easily. It is not a terribly long walk down Fountainview at all from Cafe Europe to Deck Bar or Scott Gertner's Sports or Dave & Busters. How much more, LESS than a one minute drive from Cafe Europe to Richmond Ave?

I have already said the old "Richmond Strip" is gone. Of course it isn't the 90s anymore. But "dead?" Do you really observe your area, lol?

Why don't you go grab a late night shawarma at Mazaj at midnight on a nice Friday. Count on one hand.

Go have a brew and find easy parking at Concert Pub? Count on one hand.

British Arms.

The PACKED lot at Wild West. Yeah, I bet you could literally "count on one hand." Such hyperbole.

Sure it isn't the 90s. But "dead?" Ha ha ha. Negative people with negative perception.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:07 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,662 times
Quote:
Wow, you lived here since 08, I guess that makes you the resident expect. Lol, I think I have socks older than that. You're in your 20's and you were hanging out on Richmond in the 90's? Come on bro you're losing all credibilty, stop while you're ahead.
Holla! Lived at Turtle Pointe just across the street from the Hideaway back in 94-95. My rent was about $450 a month and the area was just a little sketchy at the time...just as the Walmart was built. Wouldn't want to live in that area now.

Good times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston